South padre question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South padre question

Anybody been lately? Some friends were telling me it’s not what it used to be. Would love to make a trip this summer if it’s still a good and safe place. My grandparents lived in Harlingen when I was young and we practically grew up on SPI

We went down and stayed at the Isla Grand 3 years ago. The rooms were nasty and the hotel was overall pretty run down. Decent food in town. Did go on a party boat 4 hour trip and actually caught fish which was nice.

Comment

It’s not what it use to be for me. The beaches aren’t takin care of like the use to be. It’s still safe for the most part. I have a hard time driving that far when port A is a better place for me

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
        Anybody been lately? Some friends were telling me it’s not what it used to be. Would love to make a trip this summer if it’s still a good and safe place. My grandparents lived in Harlingen when I was young and we practically grew up on SPI
        What do you mean “it’s not what it used to be”? IMO, lots of good restaurants. It will be crowded on weekends, no doubt. Hotels? Depends where you stay…cheaper priced hotels will be heavily used.

Fishing. Freeze put a hurt on this area. It is weak at this time.

Comment

We stayed Memorial weekend at the Pearl and went to eat each night and it is fine. Restaurants open, people out, good time.

Comment

Was down there 2 weeks ago. Seemed exactly the same as it always has. The kids family enjoyed the beach and was was an overall good trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ren087 View Post
              We stayed Memorial weekend at the Pearl and went to eat each night and it is fine. Restaurants open, people out, good time.

We stayed at the pearl during spring break and it was fine. Food was good, atmosphere was good, beach was nice but chilly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We stay at Hilton garden on far north end of island. We go in October and it’s still hot but not so hot that you can’t walk on the sand. Less people, and rates are lower. In fact we have reservations for this October.

Comment

It's been a couple of years but it was very nice. The bay is blue, the surf is clear. Lots of good watefront bars and restaurants. The bayside sunset is as good as it gets.

I seriously doubt it went to hell in a few years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 06-10-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

We had fun when we went. I would go again

Comment

We stay a week in Port Isabel and spend time on the island every year. This year Island seemed same as always except for the crowd, weekend traffic was on par for weekday traffic in years past.

Comment

ive been twice in the last month

surf is still good, and the new pavillion in the park is nice.
                        Bunch of new places to eat.. but be ready for the drunk crowds as usual

Comment

We honeymooned there back in April, had a great time. I can’t comment anything on “how it used to be” because that was the first time there for both of us, but we didn’t have any problems, never felt unsafe, the beach was nice, didn’t have a bad meal the whole week. I’m ready to go back any time.

Comment

To me it's the same as it's always been.

Comment

Was there a few weeks ago good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X