Wylie water outage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wylie water outage?

My daughter and son-in-law live in Wylie. They have no water in their house this morning. Doesn't sound like a frozen pipe in their house. Slab foundation with all the water lines on the interior of the house - none on exterior walls except for hose bibs. She said several people on the Neighborhood app have no water too. Anybody in Wylie know what the issue is? Water tower frozen? Main line frozen or burst?

Could it have frozen at the street under the manhole cover? It's below ground but not buried.

Example:

Click image for larger version

Name:	A8355FBC-F028-4021-B8F5-1D3FABE79D5D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	24644709
    Last edited by TxAg; 02-15-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

My water is still working.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        Could it have frozen at the street under the manhole cover? It's below ground but not buried.
        Yep. Could be. I don't know how deep they have the water lines buried there. Surely they put them deep enough though.

Comment

I'm in Wylie and luckily we still have water. However, have heard same things from others in our neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Yep. Could be. I don't know how deep they have the water lines buried there. Surely they put them deep enough though.
            They are not deep

Comment

That pic is about what every house in Texas has unless you are on a well.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                They are not deep
                Do you know what the local code is for depth? Not that it matters right now.

Comment

Not only are services likely not buried very deep, but as the picture above shows, it’s actually exposed within the meter box. That poly tubing and those brass fittings can freeze very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

which Wylie, Abilene or Dallas.

Comment

I don't know the code. My main water shut off is similar to the one pictured above. I would say about 1' to 2' deep at most.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                        Valid question. I'm Dallas Wylie.

Comment

Do you know what the local code is for depth? Not that it matters right now.

Water main will be buried with minimum of 4’ of cover. The service line starts there and literally comes up to the meter box where the meter will sit about 12” below ground level but exposed to the air. Backside of the meter will have a valve and the line to the house probably no more than 12-18” which is plenty. The risk is in the meter box.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Water main will be buried with minimum of 4’ of cover. The service line starts there and literally comes up to the meter box where the meter will sit about 12” below ground level but exposed to the air. Backside of the meter will have a valve and the line to the house probably no more than 12-18” which is plenty. The risk is in the meter box.

I’ve installed a few thousand.[emoji6][emoji23]. I love it when you ask something I actually know something about.[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                              Not only are services likely not buried very deep, but as the picture above shows, it’s actually exposed within the meter box. That poly tubing and those brass fittings can freeze very quickly.
                              Yep. Usually the cover will keep it just warm enough with ground heat. May not have gotten enough snow over the cover to insulate it.

My wife wanted to freeze some colored water balloons last night, so we put them out on the front porch. I told her to put them down into the snow drift so they'd stay round, rather than putting them on the concrete and freezing a flat spot on the bottom. This morning I picked them up and the bottom half that was sitting in the snow drift was still water. Only the top half of the balloons were frozen. And it was -1. Crazy.

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
                              The town called Wylie (east of Dallas). Abilene Wylie is just a school district within Abilene.

Comment

Working...
                              X