Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Financial Tip of the Day - Where the heck did it all go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financial Tip of the Day - Where the heck did it all go?

I can't begin to count the number of people, my previous self included, who make a plentiful income, yet struggle at the end of every two weeks to figure out just where all that income went.

In the age of debit cards, credit cards, auto drafts, electronic banking and any number of other "financial conveniences", it is not hard to lose track of your money. It just shows up in your account one day and before you know it, it has all left your account. Where the heck did it go?

This is where a zero based budget (every $$ has a home) coupled with critical analysis of your spending and savings habits comes into play. I know, I know, you can manage it and don't need a budget to tell you how to spend your money!!!!!

I started tracking every dollar about 14 months ago. The first month was ugly! But, it was also enlightening. I didn't truly realize the amount of money being spent on certain items.

As a family, we were spending almost $900 per month eating out, in addition to a pretty hefty monthly grocery bill along with another $150 in convenience store purchases. Cable/Internet/Streaming expenses were in excess of $400. Don't forget school tuition, electric bills, water bills, gas bills, vehicle fuel, pool cleaning, landscapers, dry cleaning, groceries, haircuts, car washes, clothes & shoes, savings and more.......

Stuff was starting to add up and I hadn't even touched the non-monthly bills such as car insurance, property insurance and taxes, HOA fees and other items. I began to see exactly where our more than blessed incomes were all going.

If you don't have an active budget that tells you exactly where you are spending your $$, I strongly encourage you to put one together.

WWW.EVERYDOLLAR.COM is free and is easy to use.

One last comment on budgets. Budgets are often viewed as limitations, restrictions on spending and such. That is one way of looking at them, but I view them as PERMISSION to spend certain amounts. I have line items for guns, ranch expenses, future hunting trips, vacations, and entertainment.

I have PERMISSION to spend money on all of those items and not feel guilty because I have also budgeted amounts for savings, retirement, insurance, college funds, etc...

If nothing else, just track your spending for 90 days. Use the Everydollar app and track every $$ from every source. You will be surprised at what you are spending $$ on and might even find thousands of dollars you can reallocate to better places, like guns and hunting!!!!!

Very good post! Will help alot of people in this world and on TBH

Comment

Financial tip for the day. Skip coffee, soft drinks, snacks, tobacco and your beer or beers today and put that money in a jar. You'll be amazed how much you spend

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        Financial tip for the day. Skip coffee, soft drinks, snacks, tobacco and your beer or beers today and put that money in a jar. You'll be amazed how much you spend
        Yep. Even better, put it in a savings account every month and transfer it to a low cost index fund and forget about it. You might just become healthy and wealthy.

Comment

great topic, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for speaking up!
            I used the Ramsey plan several years ago, got 100% out of debt, saved enough money to take an over 50% pay cut to change my career, now make much more than I used too doing what I love to do and have never looked back!
            It's definitely not easy, but anything worth while isn't easy. (Try bow hunting for example...)

Comment

Are you married? That is how mine goes...Every time a cat hiccups or sneezes its off to the vet.

Comment

Awesome tips and downloading the app now. Been way more conscious the last 6-8 months but slacking since hunting season started!

Need to ramp it back up now!

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                  Are you married? That is how mine goes...Every time a cat hiccups or sneezes its off to the vet.
                  I always thought a pet hit man service would be of great value in such situations.

Comment

Sure need to do this. Both of our unbudgeted spending has been creeping up.

Comment

So far one of the best things I did was cancel my debit card for my business account. Instead I transfer money from it, into a monthly expense account at the same bank which I use for fuel, hotel rooms, eating out, etc. I spend alot less when I know the other account has alot less in it. I also dont have to check as often for over charges or fraud charges from an account that only has a couple thousand in it each month.

I also dont have any credit cards, personal or business, I do not currently do any outdraft for utilities, and I pay in full for things like car/business insurance etc to eliminate the stress of monthly bills. The fewer the better and I try to avoid them the best that I can when I can.

By far my biggest expense for personal use is hunting and then eating out. It does stress me out when I think how much I've spent on hunting trips over the past 5 years and what I could have done with that money instead.
                      Last edited by MAP; 11-17-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Pay yourself first. Transfer a nice chunk to savings acct, trading acct, etc - every single paycheck. Pay yourself first.

Then cut all subscriptions out of your life. It's OK to have a few as needed, but if you don't manage subscriptions they will eat all you have.

Comment

I have a wife and kids...that's where it all went

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                            COFFEE???.....BEER??? These are as essential as air and water.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              I have a wife and kids...that's where it all went
                              That is no joke, between two big a** growing boys that seem to grow out of their clothes every couple months and working on building two houses, I have no "line items", like extra hunting cash.

On the other hand, we have eliminated most of our debt, but the bills will NEVER stop coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X