The story of my 158 inch denton county deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The story of my 158 inch denton county deer

I am a long time lurker and read tbh almost every time I get up in the stand. I went hunting sunday at my familys small ranch. This is 300 acres and the biggest deer we ever see are 115 inch 8 points. I told myself this year that I would not kill a deer with a bow unless I knew it was going to be pope and young. I look back at 430 and at 100 yards this deer is walking at the edge of the tree line. I texted my bellow tbh buddies and told them I had a 160 inch 10point at 100 yards. The deer disappeared and I thought surely hew as gone forever. Then right at 515 this bruiser comes out looking for doe and 20 yards. I drew back and let her fly. I am an avid bowhunter and have shot probably around 20 deer with my bow. I have either completely missed or fatally wounded and recovered every deer. As soon as I released I knew I finally made a bad shot. It was bound to happen. I had hit low shoulder. The deers shoulder was shattered and I snuck out. I came back 4 hours later and tracked blood for 1000 yards. I decided to pull out and come back that next morning. I called a dog in and the guy with the dog bumped him. So the deer was still alive. He was going to shoot it but didn't have a bullet in his gun! I was discouraged and we pulled out at noon and I went an had lunch. I got a phone call from another guy with dogs that offered to come out. We searched for several hours that evening and then all of the sudden stumbled up on him dead. He had just expired. It was a sad way to go for the big bruiser but I did everything I could to make it right. My biggest deer prior to this is 117 inches. I am blessed and couldn't be more thrilled. Just wanted to share my buck of a lifetime with fellow hunters. Deer scores 158 inches gross. He has 22.5 and 23 inch beams. His first 2 mass measurements on either antler are 6.5 and 6. He has an 18 inch spread. Thanks for reading, happy hunting and God bless!
    Attached Files

Great buck!

Comment

Congrats bud! Awesome deer!

Comment

That is an awesome buck. Good job keeping after him. Congrats!

Comment

Great recap,awesome buck man,congrats on a job well done!

Comment

that's a keeper there!! well done!

Comment

Good Deer! Cool Story! good job on not giving up....

Comment

Beauty Congrats

Comment

Great buck congrats

Comment

Congratulations to you for getting that big old buck. Wonder where he had been hiding all those years to not be killed before now. That was a great story and it's good to hear that you found him after all that. You need to post up some pictures of him after you get him mounted (if that's what you are gonna do).

Comment

Wow! Congrats!

Comment

Nice story and congrats on a great buck.

Comment

Great deer!

Comment

Way to keep up the chase! Nice buck!

Comment

You never know what's gonna walk out this time of year. Congrats on a nice buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X