Knock out a chimney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knock out a chimney

I have this chimney we will never use ( if we didn’t use during the freeze we sure ain’t gonna use it ever ).

I would like to get a more modern tv setup build out from the wall a ft or so. Since this is in the center of the wall it sure is in the wrong spot. We have lived here a year and we want to redo the floors and around that time would be good time to get this thing out of here.

How complex is this job ? Is it more than a sledge hammer job. This is an exterior wall it’s on.

This is a standard kB home from 96
    Attached Files

Comment

Also what has to happen with the chute. I don’t care if it looks like I have a fireplace from the outside but what happens to the tube and outlet
      Attached Files

Comment

It appears to be a standard insert. Should not be much to it just be prepared to patch the ceiling and wall.

Comment

Just tore down all the stone around my fireplace. Oooof. I would be inclined to leave the fireplace, break out the mantle and box everything in parallel to the existing sides of the lower fireplace. You could even fur it out if you need width for a huge TV. Removing the entire chimney would be a mess unless you are planning to re-roof.
          Last edited by RR 314; 07-16-2021, 05:05 PM. Reason: tore

Comment

The chimney is probably a triple wall pipe that you can cut off just above the ceiling. I would support it just to keep it from wanting to side down.

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
              Also what has to happen with the chute. I don’t care if it looks like I have a fireplace from the outside but what happens to the tube and outlet
              Ooops. Didn't see that as I was typing. Man, if you are ever planning on selling I would leave it and just update it and put a TV above it.

Comment

This is a two story house. So that’s not the roof. As far as appearances go I’m fine with the outside looking like this. I guess I’m wondering about rain collection and critters. Any idea what I should pay to wack this this thing out ?

Comment

No way I would want to keep it. It eats the living room. Sticks out 3.5 ft or so building off it would cause me to lose to much of the living room.
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you REALLY REALLY want the tv there, just tear out the insides, support the flue pipe and build what you want.

If you sell, use the "pre existing fire place capability as a selling point!

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                      If you REALLY REALLY want the tv there, just tear out the insides, support the flue pipe and build what you want.

If you sell, use the "pre existing fire place capability as a selling point!
                      I like that spin, that's a great sales idea.

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
                        No way I would want to keep it. It eats the living room. Sticks out 3.5 ft or so building off it would cause me to lose to much of the living room.
                        Geeez. I did't figure it was protruding 3.5'.

Comment

You will have to pull the outside chimney cap and replace with a solid cap. Tear the walls off of the Fireplace an pull the insert out. Id leave the Flue pipe in the Chimney out side and patch the sheet rock .If you ever put a new roof on take the outside chimney off the side of the house .

Comment

I appreciate the info guys. Any idea what this will run me ?

Comment

I just did this for a friend, not as hard as yours. His was just a fireplace with mantel and no stack it just had a box on the outside of house and the hot vent on the back. Replaced the sheetrock textured and painted new siding on back of house also had to piece in the hardwood floor. I charged him $1500 being a friend. I would say yours is going to be $3000 to $5000. I would do the demo yourself and that will save you some cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X