Prince of Poacher, Risken Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prince of Poacher, Risken Ranch

Guys, I was listening to the Prince of Poachers Podcast, and he talks about how he used to go into the Kennedy from the Risken Ranch. He describes it be 620 acres. Does anyone know the history of that ranch? Seem interesting how someone manages to get a small piece of property in the middle of the huge Kennedy Ranch?

I heard that piece was given as a gift from Mrs. Kennedy to one of her loyal ranch workers, I'm guessing the descendant of that worker was not nearly as loyal

Comment

Sounds plausible. 1 section

Comment

I knew someone that owned 40 acres inside the Kenedy. They bought it from an estate so I don't know how the property originally was severed from the main ranch.

Comment

a few years ago there was a 1,000 acres that came up for sale that had bass brothers, East, and Kennedy ranch all as neighbors. You actually have to go into the bass brothers gate guard and drive several miles into their ranch to get to this tract.

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
            a few years ago there was a 1,000 acres that came up for sale that had bass brothers, East, and Kennedy ranch all as neighbors. You actually have to go into the bass brothers gate guard and drive several miles into their ranch to get to this tract.
            TBH group buy?????

Comment

My neighbor owns 27 acres inside the Kennedy. I think they bought it from the railroad. They told him if he shoots too many animals, they would fence him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my fraternity brother , has 2500 acres deep inside the king ranch Santa Gertrudis
                No house or improvement except working pens , house is in premont
                Cool little place

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand View Post
                  Guys, I was listening to the Prince of Poachers Podcast, and he talks about how he used to go into the Kennedy from the Risken Ranch. He describes it be 620 acres. Does anyone know the history of that ranch? Seem interesting how someone manages to get a small piece of property in the middle of the huge Kennedy Ranch?

I’ve been to that place with some friends , asked one of the heirs and they were not exactly sure how it was acquired. Pretty cool area.

Comment

Originally posted by Bdub25 View Post
                    My neighbor owns 27 acres inside the Kennedy. I think they bought it from the railroad. They told him if he shoots too many animals, they would fence him out.

This is ****ing hilarious

Comment

Lots of out tracts when that country was originally surveyed. When they were acquiring these ranches they missed a parcel here or a section there.

Is not uncommon on huge ranches to have a few out tracts

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand View Post
                        I grew up in South Texas in the early 70's. My dad got to know Carl Risken and we spend many a weekend camping on Mr. Risken land. Mr Risken's dad bought a old spanish land grant of one section of land through a silent auction, I believe this was in the early 1920's. The bad feelings this caused was still in existence in the early 70's. Back then when you turned off the main road onto the ranch land the gate was locked with a chain and multiple padlocks. If you had a key, the guard would just watch you go in. People would drop Carl's lock out of the line in the chain. He started carrying a hack saw and would cut the culprits lock out and enter. I have fond memories of the ranch. Sitting by the shack watching deer, javelina and wild turkey wondering around at the same time.

Comment

Last edited by CRS; 02-21-2022, 11:23 AM. Reason: repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                            This is ****ing hilarious
                            This is a fact. They built an eight foot game fence with 3 strands of barbed wire on top and one strand under ground around the Risken ranch, because they did not want game getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by CRS View Post
                              This is a fact. They built an eight foot game fence with 3 strands of barbed wire on top and one strand under ground around the Risken ranch, because they did not want game getting in.
                              Wow.. Humans are a trip...

Comment

Working...
                              X