Dog tracking is finally legal!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Times have definitely changed. I know for the better. We definitely have more mature bucks and total deer than we did back in the dog hunting days. My family had 16 deer dogs. If someone saw a track in the woods the whole family would hunt it until it was killed.

That being said, hunting with buckshot and hearing those dogs coming your way was a heck of an adrenaline rush back in the day.
    I can relate.........below I-10 in south lousiana that is all we knew growing up. Now more deer and guys sitting on stand is pretty dang normal. Now if the spot lighters would die off gonna be some swamp donkeys down there!!!

Comment

Ain't nobody loves to hear the dogs run more than me, but I'm glad they are not allowed to run deer any longer... Growing up, we always had at least one good "deer dog" and most of the time more than one... My oldest mount was killed ahead of some dogs, next to the last day of the season back in 1967... Dang most days, I don't feel that old!!

Comment

Unless I misread one of the statements said you could trail deer in said counties AC mentioned was illegal? As long as they are on a leash and no more than 2 dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
          Unless I misread one of the statements said you could trail deer in said counties AC mentioned was illegal? As long as they are on a leash and no more than 2 dogs.
          Angelina where I hunt was illegal leash or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            Angelina where I hunt was illegal leash or not.
            Yep, been that way for many years... Hope for y'all sake they "fixed" that finally!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Yep, been that way for many years... Hope for y'all sake they "fixed" that finally!!
              I am hearing that our hunting club still is not going to allow it. I hate that. I have a lacy with a great bloodline that I have been wanting to put to work.

Comment

Yea, I belonged to a club many, many years ago that was run by a bunch of old timers, and they wouldn't let us bowhunt... Said that they didn't want bow hunters running round the woods spookin' all the deer!! Yet, it was OK to squirrel hunt with a dang shotgun!! Some things take some time I guess. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission Approves Hunting Regulations Changes for 2021-22
                  March 26, 2021

AUSTIN — Hunting regulations for the 2021-22 season were approved by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission at its public meeting held online March 25. Hunters will see some changes this fall, including the elimination of the experimental pronghorn season in the northern Panhandle and extension of the general pronghorn season from 9 to 16 days statewide, and the addition of two days of hunting opportunity in the Special White-winged Dove Days within the South Dove Zone.

The following modifications and clarifications to the 2021-22 Statewide Hunting Proclamation have been adopted by the TPW Commission:

Add crossbow to the definition of lawful archery equipment
                  Remove the prohibition on trailing wounded deer with dogs in Angelina, Hardin, Nacogdoches, Orange, Shelby, and Tyler counties; In addition, allow the trailing of wounded deer to no more than two dogs on a leash in Jasper, Newton, Sabine, and San Augustine counties
                  Eliminate the experimental pronghorn season in the northern Panhandle
                  Extend the general pronghorn season from 9 days to 16 days statewide
                  Close Panola County to hunting Eastern turkey season during the spring in 2022
                  Implement mandatory reporting for spring turkey hunting (April 1 – 30) in the “Western 1 Gobbler” counties in southcentral Texas in 2022
                  Add two days of hunting opportunity in the Special White-winged Dove Days within the South Dove Zone
                  Establish season dates and daily bag limits for all migratory game bird hunting seasons
                  Modify the muzzleloader definition to clarify only the bullet or projectile and powder must be loaded through the muzzle
                  Modify opening day for chachalacas to be concurrent with quail season
                  Align spring and fall wild turkey hunting seasons with consistent North and South Zone boundaries along Highway 90 starting in the fall of 2021
                  Allow squirrel hunting statewide by opening the remaining closed counties to a year-round hunting season. Traditional East Texas squirrel season, May 1-31 and Oct. 1-last Sunday in Feb. remains unchanged
                  Hunters hitting the field in the upcoming season should make note of these changes and follow all regulations set for species, tagging, bag limits, counties, season dates and means and methods. Hunters can check the online version of the Outdoor Annual for complete and updated regulations. Information currently in the online version of the Outdoor Annual reflects last season’s information. The 2021-22 season information will not be online until mid-August per usual practice.

More information regarding these amendments and hunting season dates for the 2021-22 seasons can be viewed on the TPWD website.

Comment

It’s been illegal to use a dog to trail a wounded deer for about 40 years now in some Counties. Lease or not was irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      Landowner opposition mainly
                      All this time I thought the state was trying to keep the outlaws from having an excuse for being in the woods with dogs

As a landowner I would rather you find the deer you shot if possible than shoot another one

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                        All this time I thought the state was trying to keep the outlaws from having an excuse for being in the woods with dogs

As a landowner I would rather you find the deer you shot if possible than shoot another one
                        Yup..biggest reason they never allowed it is the state believed everyone would go back to running deer with dogs.

Comment

Gotta keep those outlaws in check that are across the river to the east.

Comment

It says in Jasper, Newton, Sabine & San Augustine counties can use dogs on a leash only.

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Shoot, the outlaws were still running deer with dogs in my neck of the woods until people started carrying cell phones. If memory serves me correctly, the last time I saw it happen was about 2002. Sure hope it’s been long enough now.

Comment

Working...
                                X