Camping/RV Trip in New Mexico, with fishing access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping/RV Trip in New Mexico, with fishing access

I'm hoping to take the family on a camping trip in New Mexico this summer. Prefer a place in the mountains where there is good camping and hiking and fishing. Will probably have a RV/trailer, but may just go with a tent. I've spent some time online researching options, but like to have real feedback. Let me know your suggestions and experiences.
    Thanks.

ttt

Comment

maybe try Bonito Lake. I have elk hunted there since I was a little kid (well okay it's been a while since I last got a tag after moving to TX). Lots of good hiking there, you can fish in Bonito, and plenty of places for your RV/trailer if you decide to go that way. There is (or used to be anyway) a place called Runnels that will rent you horses, which the kids always love riding. You'll see a lot of turkey, elk, deer, and black bear all throughout there. Maybe plan to go up to Nogal peak. If you see a guy up there that looks like Soda Popinski from the video game, his name is Tommy and he's a good guy, no doubt.

Comment

Might check to see if Covid Restrictions are lifted. Heard on a podcast NM has closed fishing in State Parks, and other public access waters to Non Resident

Could be a false rumor but worth checking into.

Comment

Check and see if you need camping spot reservations as well.
          Covid has driven a ton of people to the mountains to camp and while last summer was bad for finding a place to camp, this summer is predicted to be worse.
          Be sure to plan ahead, nothing worse than driving around at 10pm when its dark with a camper in tow trying to find a spot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

My aunt and uncle go to Red River every year.She goes up the mountain and he fishes.

Comment

Working...
            X