No announcement yet.

AR in 300 BO, suppressed for hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were using the blackouts suppressed with thermals, so most shots were not precise. But I shot one under the ear twice, and in the neck once before he gave up the fight. No telling how many that ran off. It’s a useless round for my money.

You’re suppressed .22 sounds like the ticket, if for no other reason than it’s light and will fit in a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      If you put a hard cast heavy lead bullet from a 300blk through the shoulders of a pig they will die inside 40 yards.

This is true.

It’s not the cartridge’s fault if you don’t hit the vitals, it’s the shooters lack of ability to hit them is the problem. For some reason people get behind a semi auto such as an AR15 with a 10-20 shot mag and think they can make up poor shooting with more bullets down range. It is true the more shots you shoot your chances of hitting it increases but are they lethal? Sometimes but probably not, it slows the pig down and makes it easier to hit until it stops and you can then plug away. Again not the fault of the cartridge on account you can’t hit the vitals.

Not picking on anyone but here is an example.
      I dropped a 60 lb hog at 125 yds with my 17 HMR a few weeks back. I knew I could do it without a problem. Turned him off like a light switch. He was feeding at a feeder though. It wouldn’t have worked had he been running. Obviously this is an extreme example as the 300 is considerably more potent. It just shows that you can use less effective tools when you can be picky about your placement.
      How is the cartridge at fault? It switched the lights out with a shot to the vitals.
      It would have worked out the same way if you had the ability to place the bullet in the same spot running as if the hog was standing still.

Comment

These are 265gr sub sonic acme bullets out of an 8” ar around 1000fps blew right threw this boar at about 80 yards he didn’t even know he was shot. Went down in 30-40 yards.

Exit hole was only .35” or so and little to no blood.

Is sub sonic the best no it’s not... are they able to kill absolutely.

Comment

You dont really gain anything from shooting subsonic suppressed...you still have the sound of the rifle cycling, sound of projectile hitting animal, and resulting squealing/noise from dying hog. All of those result in spooking additional pigs in the sounder.

With speeds in the subsonic range you also lose trajectory which can be managed but also lose bullet expansion, unless you run bullets designed to expand at subsonic velocities. I like big wound channels and generous blood trails.

When you reduce the speed you have to get the bullet weight up to overcome resulting energy loss. I have run 350 gr subs through my 375 Raptor and 600gr through my 458 SOCOM suppressed and they are fun to play with but for hunting application I run supersonic as I don't get any benefit from subs.

Most of my hunting is done with thermal at night and judging distance can be problematic so I tend to put my thermal on flatter shooting calibers like the 6mm Creedmoor as it gives you more of a margin for error.

300 BO subs will kill hogs but there are way better options I would put before it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            We were using the blackouts suppressed with thermals, so most shots were not precise. But I shot one under the ear twice, and in the neck once before he gave up the fight. No telling how many that ran off. It’s a useless round for my money.

You’re suppressed .22 sounds like the ticket, if for no other reason than it’s light and will fit in a backpack.

Yep. They are fine for a single head shot.

On running pigs they are trash

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
              This is true.

It’s not the cartridge’s fault if you don’t hit the vitals, it’s the shooters lack of ability to hit them is the problem. For some reason people get behind a semi auto such as an AR15 with a 10-20 shot mag and think they can make up poor shooting with more bullets down range. It is true the more shots you shoot your chances of hitting it increases but are they lethal? Sometimes but probably not, it slows the pig down and makes it easier to hit until it stops and you can then plug away. Again not the fault of the cartridge on account you can’t hit the vitals.
              I shot one in the head 3 times, the last at point blank as he was trying to chew on my boot. Same spot I've killed hundreds with every other caliber I shoot..right under, and behind, the ear. I'm not sure what ammo it was, it wasn't my rifle, but it was some form of hollow point looking thing.

And I don't reload. But if I did, I'd do it in a more capable round.

Comment

I shot one in the head 3 times, the last at point blank as he was trying to chew on my boot. Same spot I've killed hundreds with every other caliber I shoot..right under, and behind, the ear. I'm not sure what ammo it was, it wasn't my rifle, but it was some form of hollow point looking thing.

It’s apparent that the first 2 shots didn’t contact the brain. It could have been bullet failure or shot placement. Most likely shot placement.

When the brain is hit by a bullet it disrupts it’s function and the pig dies pretty much instantly of if not becomes immobile at the very least. You connected with the brain with your “point blank” shot stopping the attack on your boot.

The only way to know would be am autopsy and see exactly the path of the three bullets. I am sticking with the first two didn’t hit the brain but the 3rd and final shot did.

Comment

That’s kind of the point. I shot him where I always shoot them in the head, and the bullet didn’t reach the brain.

Comment

Wrong Ammo used. I’ve killed a bunch of them shooting them through the shoulders with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m sure there is an ammo combo that will perform better. But I fail to see the point with so many more capable calibers out there.

Comment

I’m sure there is an ammo combo that will perform better. But I fail to see the point with so many more capable calibers out there.

No doubt. It’s a specialized caliber for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Wrong Ammo used. I’ve killed a bunch of them shooting them through the shoulders with the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX.

Those 110s aren’t subsonic though, and perform considerably better. I’ve got to agree with Dale on this one, but I’ve got a kind of bitter hatred for the (IMO useless) caliber.

Comment

I’ve shot a pile of hogs and a couple deer with a 16” suppressed and the 120 barnes. Farthest I’ve had them run was 30-40 yards with shots through the shoulders. Head shots were always drt.

Comment

I've killed a bunch and seen a bunch killed with 130 grain Remington Hog Hammer. Which has a Barnes bullet in it. I've hit hogs between the eyes with that bullet, which people claim is the worst shot you can take on one. They fell over every time.

Can't recommend using a V-Max though. Shot them with those too and had way more run off.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 02-24-2021, 01:37 PM.

Comment

May end up selling a 300.

Comment

Working...
                                X