X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 or a .260 Remington

Comment

Another vote for 243.

Next in line would be 7-08 as long as rifle is heavy and reduced recoil loads.

Comment

7-08

Comment

7mm-08 or 6.5cm

Comment

as long as we talkin Texas Deer /hogs/varmits..243 will take Him Through his hunting life hopefully 80y+....Sure with time age and finances he will wana try this that..its just a given.. It ain' the caliber that kills its (where Ya Hit em)

Low recoil/decent range/ammo every place/(except right now)

Comment

If you are not shooting at long distances and you want someone to learn the fundamentals
              of shooting such as the use of iron sights vs. jumping right into a scoped rifle. The good 'ole lever guns fit the bill perfect with very little recoil if any. .44mag , .357mag , 30-30win .

Comment

I use Remington Model 7 youth gun in .308 with suppressor for my 13 year old daughter, she has been using it for 3 seasons and knocked down some big ole mature buck. Started with reduced recoil Hornady ammo but now she's fine with regular, the suppressor helps a lot.

Comment

.270 bull barrel

Comment

Originally posted by RF76 View Post
                    7mm-08 or 6.5cm
                    This.They will have a rifle for life.I built my son a 7-08 when it was a wildcat, he was 7 or 8 yo, he still hunts with it and is 45 yo.Both his daughters have taken deer and hogs with it.The 120 gr lite load is great.

Comment

I gave my 12 year old an older Rem 700 243. He shot his first buck and coyote with it this year. I replace the trigger with a timney and also bought a buttstock pack from Triad Tactical. We practiced this spring and summer at the range and out of the blind. He also shoots my marlin 30-30 and doesn't have issues.

Comment

My buddy bought a youth model rem700 7-08 for his 11 year old son. He went out last weekend and his kid shot this 100 is group with factory ammo. I think it's a great starter setup that wont break the bank
                        Attached Files

Comment

I just went through this myself and decided on the 243. Was going to buy the Savage Youth Axis but opted for the Savage 110 with the Accustock. It allows you to shorten the length of pull and then grow with them as they get older. It also has the Accutrigger whereas the youth axis did not.

Comment

My 8 year old son loves shooting my 243. It's a Remington Sportsman 78 full sized, not a youth. He killed his 1st, 2nd and 3rd deer with it last Monday. Regular 95 grain loads.

Comment

270 with light recoil rounds. Wood stock

Comment

7-08 with reduced recoil ammo. After he grows up and goes to full power it will still be a gun that will take down a bull elk at distance. I have seen this play out well for quite a few younguns.

Comment

Working...
                                X