Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7.62 fmj battle pack...convert to hog ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.62 fmj battle pack...convert to hog ammo?

A couple years ago I picked up a few sealed battle packs of 7.62 x 51 fmj ammo...we moved earlier this year, I’m finally getting around to organizing my ammo, and came across the packs. The plastic had split on one pack during the move, so I opened one of the 20 rd boxes to check out the rounds.

With the stupid-high prices on 308 hunting ammo nowadays, I got to wondering if I could refine this ammo to at least carry a mag to throw down range at hogs.

I took one round and touched the tip to the bench grinder a bit, not letting it get hot, took off the fmj tip, and rounded it off once I was into the lead core. Any pros / cons / things to watch out for / other comments with this process?

Just looking for minute-of-pig accuracy, not precision. Will try to get them all close to the same length with a caliper.

Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Looks good to me.

Comment

My only worry would be the jacket separating from the lead core.

Comment

Why not just pop em in the head with the fmj?

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
          My only worry would be the jacket separating from the lead core.
          Even if it does, I would think the lead nugget should still have a pretty good impact on a hog head shot? I haven’t looked up any specs on the ammo, but I believe most of 30 cal bullet to the noggin should put the hurt on them.

I have several 10rd mags for the AR10, will touch up the tips on the first 20 round box to load up a couple, and put some on paper next weekend to check out the accuracy. Then, if things go as usual, I should have a chance to see how they do on the pork...

Comment

Originally posted by Buck hunter332 View Post
            Why not just pop em in the head with the fmj?
            I could, but have seen guys do that and the hogs run off, would rather drop them quicker if possible with an expanding bullet...getting soft in my advanced years, don’t want them to suffer, even though they are pests.

Comment

Might make a difference. Wonder if a guy could round the nose and take a small drill bit to the middle to make a hollowpoint? It would be interesting to see how they perform.

Comment

Interested in the results.

Comment

Interesting idea. You should probably weigh a round before you grind the bullet down and then weigh after to get an idea of how many grains you are shaving off. If your taking away mass, I think you would be lowering chamber pressure so i think it should work without endangering your firearm.

Comment

Looks good but think about the RPMs that bullet is going to be turning as it exits the barrel. Now think about how a very small difference in one side of the bullet vrs. the other side of the bullet might make a huge difference in how that bullet travels through the air. Not saying your not good with a grinder, but you're not a precision numerically controlled machine.

You may or may not get minute of hog.

I'd just use as is and aim for shoulder shots - it's gonna penetrate!

A few years ago, my brother had a 7.62x51 gun he wanted to use for hogs & the only ammo he could find was FMJ.

It worked fine - honestly with the results he got, really couldn't tell it from traditional hunting ammo. I was surprised, but then there have been a lot of lives taken with FMJ rounds.

Comment

Look at this. https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...-pointer-kits/

Comment

You are just shooting hogs, thinking way too deep maybe?

Comment

If they shot them in the earhole with a FMJ and they ran off, then they didn't do their job with the placement. That earhole/brainpan is a light switch with a 22 let alone a 30 caliber bullet.

Either way, I'm interested to see your results and accuracy...
                          Last edited by Smart; 12-01-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Just use them as is. I have shot hundreds of hogs with 147gr FMJ and it kills them fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

All we use is FMJs for hogs especially when night hunting and sending several low % rounds out as they are running. I occasionally will put a hunting round or 2 on top followed by FMJ's. But I assure you those will work fine for killing just about any pig.

Comment

Working...
                              X