Bittersweet!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bittersweet!!!!!!

Sometimes, this bowhunting hunting thing is bittersweet! I have been on a pretty good roll since I got my new bow last month, and it’s a great feeling to be successful.

This morning was great............till I started tracking! I live in an area where there are quite a few free range axis deer. This is my 3rd season to hunt here, and until this morning, I’ve never had a shot at an axis. He came in and I ended up getting about a 14ish yd shot. The shot felt good, and placement looked good. I did not get a passthru, and was worried a bit about how much penetration I got. Still, the placement of the shot looked great!

I waited over an hour to begin tracking. I found blood right off the bat, and the arrow about 15yds down the trail. The arrow looked like it had gotten about 8” penetration, so I thought should be enough to get the job done. The blood on the ground was not profuse, but was easy to follow. The trail went about 100yds, and then just quit! The blood on the ground looked like a muscle hit.

Anyway, me and the dog looked all over for that deer, and were not able to find it!!!

The thing is, I still think I did what I was supposed to. Axis are very wary, maybe the spookiest deer on the planet! The only thing I can figure, is that he must have spun some on the shot, which made the arrow end up too far forward and not in the vitals!

I’m pretty bummed right now!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Bisch; 10-24-2019, 11:54 AM.

They are tuff critters hope you find him !

Comment

Their vitals are different from white tails for sure You'll probably find him keeping trying you probably just walked right by him. My neighbor shot one last week and looked for hours then called in a dog. He wasn't 50 yards from where he shot him and my neighbor said its a wonder he didn't trip over him since he covered the area so many times.

Comment

Better luck next time Bisch. We all know there will be plenty of next times.

Comment

Good luck on finding him Bisch, don’t give up yet. I know how you feel, been there!

Comment

Follow the trail then go toward water

Comment

I feel ya brutha...sorry for the empty result...

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

If you don't mind what was your bow and arrow set up?

Comment

Axis are tough animals! Hopefully you'll get redemption!

Comment

I double shouldered an Axis with my 7mmag and the exit wound was the size of baseball.

He still ran almost 800 yards and was fighting a dog in the river trying to drown it when we found him and put 1 in his neck.

Things are crazy tough. I thought I must have put a bad shot on him but once we recovered him, it was dang never perfect and both shoulders were blown to hell. No idea how he could even move, much less make it 800 yards.

Comment

good luck Bisch!

Comment

Good luck Brother Bisch!!!

Comment

The vitals on an axis are way forward. Kind of like African game. If you hit the crease of the shoulder you are In the guts. I shoot mine dead center thru the shoulders. That being said8” of penetration should have at least gotten one lung. They are tough animals. I would start doing circles from the last blood. Good luck!

Comment

Bittersweet!!!!!!

Mark, I wasn’t in the crease. I was in front of the crease 2-3” and right above the leg bone. Should have been perfect??? Wish I could have had it on video so I could see what happened.

I’m still thinking he must have reacted to the sound of the bow, which caused the arrow to not go where I thought it had.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X