Re-Nesting a Screech Owlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Nesting a Screech Owlet

The video below details some excitement we had in the backyard on Mother's Day. Take 3 minutes to watch if you don't mind.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3W_9ghINWM"]Screech Owlet Rescue - YouTube[/ame]

I can’t see the video but we have owl boxes up and we generally have some screechers around. Super neat little animals. My wife always names them Henrietta. She gets so excited she nearly crys when one shows up

Comment

Thank you for saving our Owls. (See what I did there?)

Lately, they have fallen further than that tree and need all the help they can get.

Comment

Very cool. Hope he makes it. Thanks for sharing.

We’ve had a screech owl in our box each spring for the past 9 years.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	B5695443-CBAF-4751-8FA6-019790AB8C4B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	24683112
        Last edited by DeerGeek; 05-12-2022, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Thumbs Up for Y'all! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Pretty happy that one moved into a box I made.

Comment

Now that is just flat cool Casey... but... you too dang old to be climbin' up ladders into trees like that!! That's for the youngsters!! Remember you da cameraman! Cameramen stay BEHIND the camera!!

Comment

I had an old box that they used here. I replaced it and they've yet to use this two year old box. However, they love that knot hole.

Comment

I've thought about making an owl box. What time of year do they generally move in?

Comment

Good job on the save.

I put a box up and ended up with Black Belly Tree ducks. I did get to save 2 baby barn owls that fell between a wall at a friends shop.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      I've thought about making an owl box. What time of year do they generally move in?
                      Spring. I would guess they've been in this nest a month?

Comment

Is there special dimensions for an owl box? Looks like at least a 3-4” hole. How high to you hang it etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                          Is there special dimensions for an owl box? Looks like at least a 3-4” hole. How high to you hang it etc?

I found the plans online for mine. Here is one link with some general guidance:

Screech Owl Box

Comment

Awesome job getting the little feller back in the nest.

Comment

A note, a couple years ago we had a nest in our box. One day there was an owlet dead on the ground. Haven't had a nest in @2 years.

Squirrels took it over.

Last year I thing I found the reason, a rat snake came out of the box one day during summer. This summer I'll be sinking a steel post with a guard to keep a snake from climbing, and far enough from the tree to keep squirrels from getting into it.

Pic is from 2018.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X