Pond and Lake Management Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pond and Lake Management Thread

About 1/2 of our time is spent managing ponds and lakes, treating aquatic vegetation, and managing specifically for fisheries.

What projects do you have planned for this year? I will post some of our client's projects as the spring warmup brings more vegetation and a great time to get out on the water.

Environmentalsolutions.com
    -Michael
    Attached Files

I'm trying to talk my mom's husband into getting some bluegill for their pond. We've been trying like heck to get as many crappie out as possible but we'll never get rid of them in a 3-ish acre pond. It only took me 4 years to convince him to actively manage his pond.
    I went up there last weekend and caught (30) skinny crappie and (20) 10-12" bass. He wouldn't let me get rid of the bass. Too many mouths and not enough food.

Comment

2022 Pond Works

We've been stocking up on water bottles for the project below.

Here's a quick video of how we made and installed them

Attached Files

Comment

Watching this. I’m wanting to make crappie structures for a few of my spots. What are you fellas getting the best results from?

Comment

PM sent

Comment

This will be a good one to follow!

Comment

H&H Spinners fished over "X-mas Tree" and Artificial Habitats
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SuperExotics View Post
                About 1/2 of our time is spent managing ponds and lakes, treating aquatic vegetation, and managing specifically for fisheries.

What projects do you have planned for this year? I will post some of our client's projects as the spring warmup brings more vegetation and a great time to get out on the water.

Environmentalsolutions.com
                -Michael
                What's your thoughts on "Tiger Bass"?

Comment

Originally posted by The BARn View Post
                  What's your thoughts on "Tiger Bass"?
                  Same idea as the Camelot Belle to a point. The have a faster growth rate and are very aggressive feeders.

My thoughts, you better be ready to feed them.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasLongball View Post
                    I'm trying to talk my mom's husband into getting some bluegill for their pond. We've been trying like heck to get as many crappie out as possible but we'll never get rid of them in a 3-ish acre pond. It only took me 4 years to convince him to actively manage his pond.
                    I went up there last weekend and caught (30) skinny crappie and (20) 10-12" bass. He wouldn't let me get rid of the bass. Too many mouths and not enough food.
                    Unfortunately that is very common. It is hard to convince people to cull bass, but there isn't a way around it if you want to produce trophy bass.

Comment

Unfortunately that is very common. It is hard to convince people to cull bass, but there isn't a way around it if you want to produce trophy bass.
                      Need to do a big fish clean out of our 1/2 acre pond...its just got a mix of bass, sunfish of all kinds, and crappie. I know corrective stocking is essentially impossible to do. Do you guys use rotenone? Any other methods of getting as many of the mouths out of the pond as possible?

Know it can't be a "trophy" pond, but would like to be better than catching a bunch of 7" skinny bass for the kids and their buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
                        Need to do a big fish clean out of our 1/2 acre pond...its just got a mix of bass, sunfish of all kinds, and crappie. I know corrective stocking is essentially impossible to do. Do you guys use rotenone? Any other methods of getting as many of the mouths out of the pond as possible?

Know it can't be a "trophy" pond, but would like to be better than catching a bunch of 7" skinny bass for the kids and their buddies.
                        We do when we are clearing an entire pond but really do not like doing it. The best method for targeted take is an electro fishing cull, but that can cost several thousand to do.

The best thing in terms of low cost is to have a big weekend with as many friends as you can get. Start catching and throw them in some grease!

Comment

We do when we are clearing an entire pond but really do not like doing it. The best method for targeted take is an electro fishing cull, but that can cost several thousand to do.

The best thing in terms of low cost is to have a big weekend with as many friends as you can get. Start catching and throw them in some grease!
                          On our 15 acre lake we cull 16" or under and try to remove 300-400 or more per yr.

Comment

Here is a before and after of one algae treatment.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Here is a before and after of one algae treatment.
                              Just treated mine with the same results - you use Cuterine Plus?

Also just added 18 Floridas from Camelot Belle - 1.5 to 3 pounders - we shall see!
                              Last edited by Huntingfool; 02-26-2022, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X