2022 Food Plot Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
    Tonight I broadcasted 50lb of cowpeas into the standing clover/vetch/rye mix and rolled it down. Rain forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220505/b8d3929807f4ad6c5766df6d6621637f.jpg[/IMG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By far the best way to plant, making your on fertilizer. Far better for the environment.

Comment

Looks like y’all got some nice places, keep up the good work!

Comment

Originally posted by CWendling View Post
        i hope youre wrong cuz im planting this weekend
        Sorry Corey, but you are the beneficiary of my curse……

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. Currently in the market for my own piece of heaven and looking at ideas for when I finally land it.

Been curious what kind of equipment I would need to get started.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Sorry Corey, but you are the beneficiary of my curse……
            Cursed indeed ha. My tractor started spewing diesel from the engine compartment about halfway through disking. So had to take it to the shop. Went ahead and spread some seed with my tailgate feeder and drug a weighted pallet over the areas i had disked so we'll how that works out. Since I wont be able to get back for 3 weeks, looks like thats gonna be the extent of my spring food plots. Didnt even get to use my nice new cultipacker

Comment

Cursed indeed ha. My tractor started spewing diesel from the engine compartment about halfway through disking. So had to take it to the shop. Went ahead and spread some seed with my tailgate feeder and drug a weighted pallet over the areas i had disked so we'll how that works out. Since I wont be able to get back for 3 weeks, looks like thats gonna be the extent of my spring food plots. Didnt even get to use my nice new cultipacker
              I think I have an eternal curse. Whatever is not broken when I get to the ranch ends up broken if I need to use it. I got 4 acres planted, but when filling the sprayer to spray gly on the areas that I just planted I realized my Y fitting at the bottom had basically turned into a clamshell that was destined to remain open.

Comment

My Cow Peas are doing well after 5 weeks with 2 substantial rains. This stand is narrow but goes through the woods about 1/4 mile and I figured about 3 acres. They haven’t started hitting it yet. They walk through it to get to the protein feeders. Hogs destroyed it after I dished and planted but I’m pleased with the results.
                Attached Files

Comment

When it rains, it pours !

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  My Cow Peas are doing well after 5 weeks with 2 substantial rains. This stand is narrow but goes through the woods about 1/4 mile and I figured about 3 acres. They haven’t started hitting it yet. They walk through it to get to the protein feeders. Hogs destroyed it after I dished and planted but I’m pleased with the results.

I love iron clay peas but I stopped planting them because the peas I get from East Texas seed have pigweed seeds in them. The last two times I planted them I had a bumper crop of redroot pigweed.

Comment

Is it worth trying to keep hogs out of the food plots? Was debating the value proposition of attempting this. I am still in the process of purchasing my land, but am trying to come up with a plan so I can hit the ground running.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                      Is it worth trying to keep hogs out of the food plots? Was debating the value proposition of attempting this. I am still in the process of purchasing my land, but am trying to come up with a plan so I can hit the ground running.
                      If you put enough pressure on hogs they will hit the road. But you’ve really got to ride em for a while with the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                        All of my feeders are fenced off other than 1, and it has been like this for several years now. Are the feeder pens a PITA sometimes? Yes. But, I don't have nearly the hog issues that my friends do, or even neighbors for that matter. When they do show up, I hunt them as hard as possible and they disappear for a while.

Comment

Not been this dry at my place since 2013 and worst looking plots by far. If no rain in next week will go back and replant two of them but long term forecast seems against us this year.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you put enough pressure on hogs they will hit the road. But you’ve really got to ride em for a while with the lead.
                              True statement Terry ! My problem on my lease is that none of the other guys will pen their feeders. So on the way to or from one of the other guy’s feeder, they stop and dine on whatever is growing in my plot !
                              Attached Files

Comment

Them's shootin' hours.

Comment

Working...
                                X