Homestead Exemption ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homestead Exemption ?

I got my daughter into a house in 2017 and we were both on the deed. In Apr 2021 (before deadline) I deeded her my interest in the house. Williamson County says since ownership changed, somewhat in my opinion, the homestead cap doesn't kick in until 2023. So the Appraisal District is treating her as a new owner of the house even though she partially owned it and has lived in it since 2017. Tax code is gray on this as its requirements are 1) lived in the house as of January 1 of the year you are claiming the exemption-- check 2) owned the house as of January 1 of the year you are claiming the exemption-- check ,there is no mention of % of ownership.

What does the green screen say?

Exemption should be in place if paperwork was done as you stated and those involved lived in the home as of Jan 1........ sounds like the CAD thinks a deadline or paperwork missed a deadline date.....? If nothing else you should protest and provide all proof of habitation.

Comment

No, they're aware of the dates and deadlines. They're angle is, even though she has owned the home ( partially ), when i deeded it over in early April of 2021 that the clock starts ticking again and homestead cap wouldn't take effect until the next year after one full year of ownership. The district is treating it like she purchased the house in early April.

Comment

Check and see as I do not believe you must own a year before homestead "kicks in". It is based off of Jan1 no matter if you move in Jan 2 or Dec 31st.

Unfortunately the CAD could just be being a d**k about it as they are all getting tough and getting all the $$ they can, but check the actual rules on dates and don't let them bully you.

Comment

Another Reason to own through a LLC and gifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
            Another Reason to own through a LLC and gifting.
            This. Sorry but don't think you will win that argument even though she never moved others have tried that loophole, llc best way to gift percentage so names on title don't change. Williamson county is a pain in the axx to deal with.
            Last edited by Hog Grim Reaper; 05-10-2022, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hog Grim Reaper View Post
              This. Sorry but don't think you will win that argument others have tried that loophole. Williamson county is a pain in the axx to deal with.
              Well dang!! Taxes are an ever losing battle

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Comment

Most accurate post on TBH today!

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                Well dang!! Taxes are an ever losing battle

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk
                Tax collectors were even hated in Biblical times!

Comment

Only individuals can get a homestead exemption not an LLC, so where is the advantage? The house would have the LLC on the deed, correct?

Comment

Working...
                  X