Why pay for kids college?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why pay for kids college?

I guess the obvious answer to this question is because parents want to or feel obligated to pay.

I have two kids, five and seven and right now I don't have any plans to funds their college education. Why? Because my parents didn't pay for my school and it probably the best thing they could have ever done for me.

It was the first time I had to figure it out on my own. If I wanted to graduate college I knew it was completely up to me financially and academically. I was able to pay my way through school with academic scholarships, working and taking out a few small loans. I graduated in 2002 with about 10k in student loans. That experience taught me hard work, planning, and eventually changed my views from being somewhat liberal to a conservative.

Whats everyone else's views on paying for their kids college? Are you delaying or postponing retirement to pay for your kids school?

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

My son went to a private school in Ovilla,because I wasn't down with the Red Oak school system..I told him I wasn't paying for college.Got his whole life to pay it back If he chooses to.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll probably pay for my kids college. But my idea is to make them take out loans during college and only pay off their loans at the end if they actually finish. I don't want to be left holding the bag if they don't finish.

Who knows though, my little dude aint even born yet so I've got plenty of time to decide how I'll actually handle it.

Comment

My kids have to secure loans in their name. If they progress and complete school, I'll pay off their loans. I struggled through college, working and paying my own way. I'd like for my kids to focus on their study, and not on a job, but they are aware if they squander the opportunity, they'll start their career in debt, without a skill or education.

Comment

We were able to pay our kids college. We told them if they kept up good grades they were taken care of. Both graduated with honors and I was more than happy to get them started in life without debt. Both have very successful careers and would do it again . IMO, no reason not to help out if possible. YMMV.

Comment

My kid got an academic and shooting scholarship to a university in Florida. It covers half of tuition. He earned that half so I'm paying for the other. My parents didn't pay for what little college I attended so I have nothing to show for it.

I didn't have plans either which was dumb. I'm making it work. He will graduate like I didnt.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Funding (2) 529 accounts to give my kids a fighting chance.

Comment

Zero reason for any kid not to go to college for free. While I was teaching HS I had a student who went to the counselors office everyday. Asked them for scholarship information. He filled out every single one of them. He then got online. Did the exact same. Even if he did not "qualify" he applied. He received scholarships from groups who were not even advertising for what he was applying for. Simply because he was the only one who applied. He managed to secure $40,000 in scholarships ranging from $50-5,000. All because he put the work in from 10-12th grade. There are millions of dollars in scholarships that go unclaimed each year.

Sent from my SM-A536V using Tapatalk

Comment

My parents paid for my college, I will do the same with one caveat: The kid needs to have a good work ethic. My parents worked hard to give me opportunities, I worked hard to make the most of them. It was understood that if I screwed around and partied instead of graduating I was on my own. I'll expect the same from my future kids.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    I guess the obvious answer to this question is because parents want to or feel obligated to pay.

I have two kids, five and seven and right now I don't have any plans to funds their college education. Why? Because my parents didn't pay for my school and it probably the best thing they could have ever done for me.

It was the first time I had to figure it out on my own. If I wanted to graduate college I knew it was completely up to me financially and academically. I was able to pay my way through school with academic scholarships, working and taking out a few small loans. I graduated in 2002 with about 10k in student loans. That experience taught me hard work, planning, and eventually changed my views from being somewhat liberal to a conservative.

Whats everyone else's views on paying for their kids college? Are you delaying or postponing retirement to pay for your kids school?

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Mine are a little older than yours and I have no plans to fund college. I funded my college with scholarships and working. Lost my scholarships after figuring out how fun it was to be free and finished paying for my school by working 60+ hours a week. It wasn't easy but I wouldn't change it for the world. Now My parents did make sure that I didn't starve. There was always plenty of deer sausage and they taught me how to cook beans! If I went home for the weekend I always left with a full tank of fuel. That is all I could really ask for. Hopefully my kids see it the same way.

Comment

College

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                      We were able to pay our kids college. We told them if they kept up good grades they were taken care of. Both graduated with honors and I was more than happy to get them started in life without debt. Both have very successful careers and would do it again . IMO, no reason not to help out if possible. YMMV.
                      Exactly what I did and wouldn't change it for the world!!!! If you teach your kids at an early age about money and savings and to work hard for things then everything will work out just fine. Both my kids are RN's and the oldest is going to School to become a CRNA in August!!!!!!!! When my wife and I got married we promised each other we were going to do our best and pay for their college. We started savings when they were born and never looked back. My kids got out of school with no debt and both are working hard and saving money!!!!!!

Comment

I worked my way through college. But, then again, it was in the 70's and it was affordable.

Very difficult for a kid to work his/her way through school nowadays.

I saved up some money for my youngest son. He got an academic full ride...so I used that money and bought me a truck

And, like what was said above, there are alot of scholorships available...ya just gotta put in the time & effort to find them.

Comment

I have one that will be a Senior in High School and heading to college after that. I plan to pay for it with a few rules in place:

-In the state of Texas unless she finds a way I don't have to pay out of state tuition.
                          -No goofy degrees.
                          -She keeps her grades where they need to be.

My parents paid for mine in the beginning, but after a few semesters I decided I wanted to go to the military. When that didn't work out, and I went back to school, they probably would've resumed paying. I decided not to ask them.

Comment

We are paying for my daughters school. I've always planned on doing it. She has always carried a 4.0 in college and was the valedictorian in high school. As long as she is doing that, I wll continue to help her pay it. She plays volleyball, so she doesn't have time for a job in the fall. She works about 30 hours a week during the spring. She also gets a decent amount of academic scholarships each semester that pays for about 1/4 of her school. I don't see any reason for her to start her adult life in debt if she doesn't have to.

Comment

My parents paid for mine on a policemen and teacher's aid salaries. I earn 5 times what my Dad made at his peak. Dang sure I want to provide for my kid and I paid her undergrad. Was going to help with grad school but she wants to do that on her own. She'll come out with an astonishing amount of debt because of our ridiculous system and skyrocketing tuition. I'll be helping her for sure if she'll let me.
                              Last edited by TexaRican; 05-10-2022, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X