Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-20-2022, 08:12 PM   #1
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Default Random Hunting Story……..2014

Homage to Chew’s thread. My first deer

2014 is the year me and my wife bought our first country property, just outside Madisonville. Gorgeous 35 acre property mostly pasture but a tank, spring fed creek and 10 acres of woods.

Never had hunted deer before. Dad was a fisherman through and through and all his spare change went to fishing guides. Decided since I had been given a Remington Woodmaster in 30-06 by my him in my youth I would try my hand with it. He took his first deer with it and in 2019 my daughter would take hers.

You will notice my join date is 2014. I came on here to “learn” how its done. Ended up buying an Academy 30G feeder and a big boy pop up. Put the feeder along the wood line by the creek and the pop up 100 yds away open pasture with no brushing. Would have been a mistake except late Oct they baled the hay and I became just another bale in the field.

I did a few practice runs in the early morning of how I would slip in and out. Got my bipod set up and a chair. Even got a fancy red head lamp at Academy for 10 bucks. Sighted in the Leupold as it had been 10 years and got ready for my first hunt in the morning.

Moved like a trained soldier that morning from bale to bale. Cover and concealment lol. Got to the blind and moved that zipper as slowly and quietly as possible but **** they are loud. Slipped on in and sat.

Now the most nervous thing for me at this point was I was in an AR county. I had closely studied the 13 in rule diagram in the TPWD Outdoor Annual for weeks. Researched on TBH and found pics online. Would I be able to measure at 100 yds with my eyes was the question.

So dawn hits and there are does on the feeder. This is back when doe days was Thanksgiving week so they are not on the menu. 20 minutes after shooting light in a yaupon thicket 80 yds away from me I hear a crashing. More loud crashing sounds and then this 9 point buck crashes onto the pasture. His tongue **** near dragging the ground. He sniffs the air with curled lip towards the does. Dude is drunk on the sweet smell of female organs. I immediately tell myself “thats a legal buck” and my military/le muscle memory training kicks in as I have already put a round through his shoulder before even thinking about it.

Ended up busting bone and it paralyzed the deer and it started its death kicking. Over in a few minutes. I look away and give him his peace to die.

I was there by myself so by 7ish am Im sending LDPs to friends and family on my first day of my first hunt. I would soon learn hunting small acreage would be tough. I would spend the next 2 seasons and hundreds upon hundreds of hours in blinds and tree stands to see no shooters.

That Remington Woodmaster has produced first deers for 3 generations. I will always treasure it and pass it down to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ætheling is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2022, 08:17 PM   #2
Gumbo Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Great read of a fond memory for you I’m sure.
Gumbo Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #3
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

Perfection. Thanks for sharing.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2022, 09:30 PM   #4
Jon B
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Congratulations. That first deer gets burned into your mind.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
lostbrd
Six Point

Hunt In: Topsey

Cool!
lostbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #6
RRFishNHunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County & Edwards

Great stuff!!
RRFishNHunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #7
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Great story!

So did you get to figure out how to slice one up on your own?
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:44 AM   #8
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Great story!

So did you get to figure out how to slice one up on your own?

I field dressed him. I had learned how to the days prior from watching YouTube videos. Watching and doing are two different things for sure but I got it done without cutting into any organs. From there I was lost so found the nearest processor and dropped him off. Had him caped and took it in for a mount since it was my first. Jarretts in Madisonville and it was good eats. My next 2 animals at various processors had issues so I now do everything myself except tamales. Got a guy for that.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Great story, thanks for sharing.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #10
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Nevada, Colorado

Great story. Post a pic!
saintsfan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 08:51 PM   #11
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Old 04-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #12
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Very nice!
Thanks for sharing that

Uncle Saggy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #13
J Loves Huntin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Love it!
J Loves Huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2022, 05:52 AM   #14
bobby314
Ten Point

This is a great story.
bobby314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-22-2022, 06:11 AM   #15
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Great read! Thanks for sharing
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #16
Ætheling
Pope & Young

My daughter with her first and the Ol’ Woodmaster.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
Bisch
Pope & Young

Good read!

And congrats to both of y’all!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #18
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ætheling View Post
Homage to Chew’s thread. My first deer

2014 is the year me and my wife bought our first country property, just outside Madisonville. Gorgeous 35 acre property mostly pasture but a tank, spring fed creek and 10 acres of woods.

Never had hunted deer before. Dad was a fisherman through and through and all his spare change went to fishing guides. Decided since I had been given a Remington Woodmaster in 30-06 by my him in my youth I would try my hand with it. He took his first deer with it and in 2019 my daughter would take hers.

You will notice my join date is 2014. I came on here to “learn” how its done. Ended up buying an Academy 30G feeder and a big boy pop up. Put the feeder along the wood line by the creek and the pop up 100 yds away open pasture with no brushing. Would have been a mistake except late Oct they baled the hay and I became just another bale in the field.

I did a few practice runs in the early morning of how I would slip in and out. Got my bipod set up and a chair. Even got a fancy red head lamp at Academy for 10 bucks. Sighted in the Leupold as it had been 10 years and got ready for my first hunt in the morning.

Moved like a trained soldier that morning from bale to bale. Cover and concealment lol. Got to the blind and moved that zipper as slowly and quietly as possible but **** they are loud. Slipped on in and sat.

Now the most nervous thing for me at this point was I was in an AR county. I had closely studied the 13 in rule diagram in the TPWD Outdoor Annual for weeks. Researched on TBH and found pics online. Would I be able to measure at 100 yds with my eyes was the question.

So dawn hits and there are does on the feeder. This is back when doe days was Thanksgiving week so they are not on the menu. 20 minutes after shooting light in a yaupon thicket 80 yds away from me I hear a crashing. More loud crashing sounds and then this 9 point buck crashes onto the pasture. His tongue **** near dragging the ground. He sniffs the air with curled lip towards the does. Dude is drunk on the sweet smell of female organs. I immediately tell myself “thats a legal buck” and my military/le muscle memory training kicks in as I have already put a round through his shoulder before even thinking about it.

Ended up busting bone and it paralyzed the deer and it started its death kicking. Over in a few minutes. I look away and give him his peace to die.

I was there by myself so by 7ish am Im sending LDPs to friends and family on my first day of my first hunt. I would soon learn hunting small acreage would be tough. I would spend the next 2 seasons and hundreds upon hundreds of hours in blinds and tree stands to see no shooters.

That Remington Woodmaster has produced first deers for 3 generations. I will always treasure it and pass it down to the next.

My first deer rifle given to me by my Dad was a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06. Me being a stupid teenager pawned it thinking I needed a motorcycle my buddy was selling worse than I needed a deer rifle.

My Dad has been long gone but I sure think about that rifle a lot. I’ve thought of buying another one, but it wouldn’t be the one he bought me and I would never use it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2022, 08:46 PM   #19
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
My first deer rifle given to me by my Dad was a 742 Woodsmaster in 30.06. Me being a stupid teenager pawned it thinking I needed a motorcycle my buddy was selling worse than I needed a deer rifle.

My Dad has been long gone but I sure think about that rifle a lot. I’ve thought of buying another one, but it wouldn’t be the one he bought me and I would never use it anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ironically I now hunt deep E TX woods and there really isn’t a better bush carbine out there for that application. Every shot will be under 100 yds. I rarely take a rifle out after deer anymore but my kids do.

They sell 20 round after market mags for it if you need an “assault rifle” in 30-06 haha.

Old 04-24-2022, 09:07 PM   #20
Bone Thug
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Bone Thug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top