Central Texas Turkey Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Central Texas Turkey Report

Anyone been in the area lately? Are the birds gobbling already? Headed up Friday and not sure what to expect. Normally our hunting isnt great until mid to end march.

I was at our lease in Kimble County on March 5th and they were going nuts! Hopefully they still are on Saturday!!!

Comment

Last weekend:

Zero gobbling on the roost early or in the evenings around flyup. The best gobbling was after the birds hit the ground and the sun had been up a bit, right around 8 AM. Pretty decent gobbling around that time, but nowhere near where it'll get during peak.

The big winter flocks from a couple weeks ago are slowly breaking up but there are still a ton of birds hanging together. Have multiple pics of 20+ hens running together as late as the end of last week. The winter flock of gobblers broke up and are running in smaller groups now. Good hatch last year. The jake cartel is going to be big problems this year I'm afraid.

It's only going to get better. I bet you can get into some good action this weekend

Comment

Thank you! We are going to give it our best! Haven’t been in a while so I look forward to picking up a few sheds and hopefully getting on a bird!

Comment

Turkeys are moving on my place in southwest Mills county. Lots of pics of them on my 5 game cams.

Comment

Went last weekend. Toms had plenty of hens so did not bother coming to my call. Hope that changes this weekend!

Comment

I saw one today on our place Northwest of Richland Springs….that happens about every three years.

Comment

Heading back out today....hope the toms arent paired up with the hens still...

Comment

I hunted Gillespie Co this past weekend. All gobblers were paired up with hens. Lots of gobbling, but they weren’t leaving. Did call in some Jake’s, and killed a long beard with my bow over some corn.

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
                    I hunted Gillespie Co this past weekend. All gobblers were paired up with hens. Lots of gobbling, but they weren’t leaving. Did call in some Jake’s, and killed a long beard with my bow over some corn.
                    Late season is always better for us. The hens were in big groups last weekend and the gobblers were just tailing them.

Comment

Ran out this morning to see if I could hear any birds on the roost at a new place I'm hunting at in San Saba. Quite morning, not sure if these low morning temps have em shut up a bit. Sunday looks like it's supposed to warm maybe will get the toms fired up.

Comment

I got one in Waelder last weekend, they were gobbling till the 10 Ga barked.

Comment

Working...
                        X