Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Axis Roasts - Anyone tried to reverse sear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Roasts - Anyone tried to reverse sear?

Have several axis roasts and instead of following typical roast protocol was wondering if anyone had ever reverse seared one? Typically I smoke at 170ish until internal temp of 100, then sear until internal temp reached 125-126. Thoughts?

I’ve done it with Axis backstrap. I don’t have a smoker. So I did low and slow in the oven @200F until internal temp was ~105/110. I pulled it out of the oven, covered it in foil and let it rest in one of those small soft sided coolers while I heat up a cast iron. Finished it with a reverse sear for ~30-45 seconds per side. You may have to adjust your temperatures to suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yum...

Comment

Originally posted by jhubbz View Post
        I’ve done it with Axis backstrap. I don’t have a smoker. So I did low and slow in the oven @200F until internal temp was ~105/110. I pulled it out of the oven, covered it in foil and let it rest in one of those small soft sided coolers while I heat up a cast iron. Finished it with a reverse sear for ~30-45 seconds per side. You may have to adjust your temperatures to suit.

That looks delicious and reverse sear is the only way I do my backstrap these days. Was just wondering with the roasts being a bit thicker if I’d be running into issues on the reverse sear end of things.

Comment

Delicious!

Comment

I’ve done reverse sear roast with WT hams. Turned out great.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
              Have several axis roasts and instead of following typical roast protocol was wondering if anyone had ever reverse seared one? Typically I smoke at 170ish until internal temp of 100, then sear until internal temp reached 125-126. Thoughts?
              Yes, we do it all the time with oryx roast. Think reverse seared prime rib, same method. Works on their steaks too as long as they’re thick cut like jhubbz below...

Originally posted by jhubbz View Post

Bud you nailed those. Perfection.

Comment

Oh my. Those look amazing

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

That looks awesome. Ill have to try it that way, we usually just pan fry our backstrap because thats what my wife likes, but ive been wanting to do it like this for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                    X