Utility Tractor Brand : Best and why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utility Tractor Brand : Best and why

So, I was raised on the old green and yellow JD and that is the only tractor that my dad and grandpa had and still have today. I know the newer stuff is not as good as the older stuff, as is the case with most things today, but I was wondering what yall would recommend and what you have experience with. I am pretty loyal to the brands that I own as far as guns, trucks, boats, motors, etc. so I am trying to see if anyone can convince me to buy something other than John Deere. We have a 1 acre lot and I will also use a front end loader to clean up our properties and a mower for our yard.

So, what do you think and why?
    Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 03-25-2022, 11:24 AM.

You might as have titled the thread “which broadhead?” Jk….there are plenty of good brands out there. Just find the one you like the most that’s in your wheelhouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The only comparison I can give you is between my family's 70 Hp Kubota and a 70 Hp JD that a landowner let us borrow for a time. In this instance I was shredding the landowner's (our lease pasture) property like I have done for years with our 70 Hp Kubota and a 15' bat-wing shredder. I never had power issues with the Kubota being bogged down by the bat-wing even going up some of the inclines the property has on it. However, when I borrowed the 70 Hp JD, I was very disappointed with its power. I was constantly having to downshift because it simply would get bogged down. The JD is also a new tractor by about 6 years if I remember correctly.

As for the Kubota, we've never had it in the shop other than for scheduled maintenance. It has been a workhorse and it has been USED. Just my two cents. From what I've been told/hear from others, both brands are quality.

Comment

Look at LS brand. My daughter has one 35hp class. So far so good and much cheaper than Kubota.

Comment

I have a JD with a hydrostatic clutch. 14 years now and no problems. Workhorse. I would suggest buying whatever brand is local to your property. That way when you do have problems, help will not be far away.

Comment

The E series JD I do not care for. They are made lighter and their 3 point hook up and such are not heavy duty. They will work for light mowing or bucket work with a front end loader, but they are no where what the older M series or R series tractors are.

For smaller utility tractor Kubota might be the best.

I love the older JD. The 4020 JD might be the best ever built.
            Last edited by Killer; 03-25-2022, 11:12 AM.

Comment

It's hard to make an argument against JD, especially with their dealer network and parts support. If you make that purchase be prepared to pay the JD tax. Their prices were consistently higher than other brands when I was shopping for a tractor last year.

I ultimately went with Bobcat. Their skid steer reputation is good and there's plenty of dealer support where I'm at. It's manufactured by Kioti in S. Korea so there's that. I got a new tractor and loader with a warranty for not much more than what used deeres in comparable size were going for. I'm happy with my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

A JD 6430 will make quick work of that 1 acre ranch.....ette

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                  I have a JD with a hydrostatic clutch. 14 years now and no problems. Workhorse. I would suggest buying whatever brand is local to your property. That way when you do have problems, help will not be far away.
                  The brands are pretty much local and the tractor will be hauled to use in Liberty Hill, Fredericksburg, and Florence. I think there would a dealer of either brand in either of these areas.

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                  The E series JD I do not care for. They are made lighter and their 3 point hook up and such are not heavy duty. They will work for light mowing or bucket work with a front end loader, but they are no where what the older M series or R series tractors are.

For smaller utility tractor Kubota might be the best.

I love the older JD. The 4020 JD might be the best ever built.
                  Dad has two 4020's. Best tractor ever. Also has my grandpa's old 3010. Dad got him a really nice cab tractor a couple years ago (I think it is a 4440) and it is great. Just too much for my needs.

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                  It's hard to make an argument against JD, especially with their dealer network and parts support. If you make that purchase be prepared to pay the JD tax. Their prices were consistently higher than other brands when I was shopping for a tractor last year.

I ultimately went with Bobcat. Their skid steer reputation is good and there's plenty of dealer support where I'm at. It's manufactured by Kioti in S. Korea so there's that. I got a new tractor and loader with a warranty for not much more than what used deeres in comparable size were going for. I'm happy with my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                  Yessir. They are consistently higher. I noticed that a long time ago. Pay a premium for the name. Dad has a BOBCAT skid steer and it is great. I didnt know they made tractors, but I will give them a look.
                  Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 03-25-2022, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                    A JD 6430 will make quick work of that 1 acre ranch.....ette
                    That 1 acre is our homestead. The other 2 properties are significantly larger. Thanks for the suggestion, however sarcastic it might be.

Comment

I have a Bobcat CT2025 Compact Tractor and it has done a great job for me.

Comment

I work at a kubota dealer in temple, we can get you fixed up

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                          That 1 acre is our homestead. The other 2 properties are significantly larger. Thanks for the suggestion, however sarcastic it might be.
                          I kind of thought you were joking with the one acre lot and tractor.

Depending on the size of your other properties and your tow vehicle, probably would suggest about a 30 HP 4wd Kubota. Half ton towable. Tractors aren't great at mowing lawns but I have seen it done with finish mowers. They get too heavy on wet yards and will tear up turf and leave ruts.

When it is really dry and HOT I have been known to mow my yard with a JD 5325 cab tractor and a sickle mower
                          Last edited by BrianL; 03-25-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Look at LS brand. My daughter has one 35hp class. So far so good and much cheaper than Kubota.
                            There’s a reason they are a lot cheaper. I hope she has better luck with it than the people I’ve talked to that regret buying one.

Comment

Just like most of the "what to buy threads" how many people do you know with LS tractors. Maybe one?? I know one and she's had zero problems. The backhoe is certainly handy and easy hookup.

Comment

Working...
                              X