Seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking advice

I've decided to take a cruise to Alaska in a couple of months. I have never had a camera other than a point and shoot and my phone camera. I'm thinking about trying to pick up some used equipment. I was looking at a Nikon D3200 kit for about $300 or maybe a Canon rebel kit. It seems like the kits on both of these are similar starter lenses.

A couple of questions. I'm sure that learning photography is a life long pursuit, but do you think I can learn the basics in a few months where I would be happier going this route vs a point and shoot?

It seems many people are converting over to mirrorless. Is this a good time to buy or should I wait longer because the equipment will go down in value?

Unfortunately I don't have a lot to spend on the camera right now since money I planned on spending just went to a surprise gall bladder surgery for my wife. So please give me some advice. Should I wait till I have more to spend and more time to learn or dive in with a starter camera and try to capture the beauty of God's creation in Alaska?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

You could always call https://www.precision-camera.com/rental-catalog/ in Austin. Robert Backman is the go to guy and he can get you squared away. you can rent a nice full frame Sony and a couple of lenses for 300-400 and have a great camera to use on vacation and see if its something you want to sink money into. Its gets very expensive very quickly.

I shoot on a Fuji XT-2. Its an older body but still does great.

They also sell used cameras so you might be able to get into something in your budget. Id just call and talk to him.

Comment

Ask yourself if you plan "snapshots" of the trip or really want to concentrate on photography. Depending on what you want to document should help answer that question. If the first, either a good P&S or if you have a recent cell phone model, learn to take good snapshots with it. One mistake I see people make with the cell phone is taking everything in portrait instead of landscape. I have no advice on either of those cameras you mentioned if you want to concentrate on photography as I shoot mirrorless and a different brand. Renting is an option but if you have no experience you would have to rent now and through the trip to have any chance of practicing prior to your trip. Good luck and have fun on the cruise.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm really wanting to branch into photography, not just snapshots. I thought about renting, but I would have to rent for over a week for the trip, and would need to rent several times between now and then to get used to the equipment. I live in the DFW area and I've heard Arlington Camera is a good place to check out so I may head over there soon to see my options and get some pricing.

I was also thinking for the cost of the rental I could grab one of these used Nikon or Canon cameras now and be able to play for a couple of months before the cruise. This would give me an opportunity to at least learn some basics. I wish the cruise was 6+ months away so I would have more time, but I can't change the dates now.

I guess it comes down to which is better..... The best equipment with little time with it or the basic equipment with a few months time behind the lens.

Worst case scenario, my wife will have her iphone and she can take the "normal" pics. Either way I go, buy or rent, I'm hoping to focus on capturing a small piece of beauty.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck whatever you decide. Please, please, keep in mind it is not just the equipment but knowing how to use it and what settings to use in different situations. Getting used to it isn't learning to use it. I don't mean at all to sound harsh or callous in telling you this. It is a fact and any of the other experienced photogs on this site, and there are quite a few, will tell you the same thing. I simply don't want you to be disappointed if things don't look on the computer like they do on the camera LCD. Everyone will tell you the LCD lies!

I would recommend you order the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Petersen from Amazon today and read it as much as you can. It is the go to recommended book here at TBH. It helped me many years ago. When you get the camera, read it with the camera in hand.

I hope you have a great time on your trip and capture many memories. Let us know what you end up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
            Best of luck whatever you decide. Please, please, keep in mind it is not just the equipment but knowing how to use it and what settings to use in different situations. Getting used to it isn't learning to use it. I don't mean at all to sound harsh or callous in telling you this. It is a fact and any of the other experienced photogs on this site, and there are quite a few, will tell you the same thing. I simply don't want you to be disappointed if things don't look on the computer like they do on the camera LCD. Everyone will tell you the LCD lies!

I would recommend you order the book "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Petersen from Amazon today and read it as much as you can. It is the go to recommended book here at TBH. It helped me many years ago. When you get the camera, read it with the camera in hand.

I hope you have a great time on your trip and capture many memories. Let us know what you end up with.
            Bill is spot on and i also have the understanding exposure book, i highly recommend it.

Comment

Exposure and composition are two subjects to study up on for sure. Look up the Rule of Thirds...you can practice good composition now with any camera you own including a cell phone camera.

I lived in Alaska for a few years a while back...that's where I got into photography. Wide angle zoom lenses are great for landscape photography but you will want a telephoto zoom for wildlife. Get the best lense(s) you can (buy or rent)...you won't regret it.

Comment

I agree with the above comments. Given your time frame and situation for this trip I would probably look to pick up a good point and shoot (P&S makes it sound very simple but I have a Canon P&S that can shoot in RAW format and also can be fully manual). Then, when you get back you can focus on more advanced gear if you really want to get into it.
                Just my two cents as learning photography is definitely a lifelong learning process.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X