Teaching Young Ones Shot Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teaching Young Ones Shot Placement

I have been practicing with by almost six year old shooting. I feel that he is doing great, and that he is ready to try on a live animal. I show him the vitals on pics and youtube videos. My question is where would you have a young first time hunter aim on a deer or pig with a rifle? He will most likely be shooting an AR in 6.5 Grendel possibly a .243. Stay right behind the shoulder or have him shoot directly in the shoulder? I didn't have the privilege to deer hunt until I was a teen and took myself so I never tried the smaller/light duty rounds. I plan to keep him within 50 yards or so for now.

What worked for your kiddos? Any other tips appreciated.

Get some Caldwell paper deer targets. They are life size paper targets, and show the vitals. Put a piece of tape, or draw a crosshair where you want him to aim. I told them to shoot right behind the shoulder, and placing the crosshair on the target will help him figure it out quickly. I did this with both of my boys, and they caught on real quick.

Also print a picture of a broadside deer, and draw a crosshair on it. Laminate that and take it to the stand with you so that you can study it with him.

Comment

I tell mine right above the shoulder. Gives them more room for error also.

Comment

There was a meateater episode where they take some non-hunters from the office out WT hunting. Before the hunt (After some instruction), they went page by page in random wildlife books and practiced "where would you shoot this animal?" depending on how they were standing. Slight qtr away, broadside, etc. Seemed to be a good/fun exercise.

Comment

I was told shoot middle of the shoulder. That’s what I did and still do, sure you lose meat but I’d rather have them go down quick vs hitting too far back and can’t find

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1305.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	24662487

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Along with the above suggestions, I also showed my kids pictures of deer on my phone while in the blind and asked them to point out where they would aim.

Comment

I also use this pic as a reference for slightly quartering. Put any of the 2 rounds in that area with a good Bullet and you’ll have backstrap for supper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

all great suggestions here, my boys were taught high shoulder, which to me is straight up the leg and about 1.5 "X's" higher in that illustration above. that X is where they have been taught if we have the crossbow with us.

you might look into one of these also, it has helped a lot with my boys. we have the caldwell field pod but this one is on sale right now...

Comment

I was always told "behind the shoulder", however, I don't think that was a very precise description and most of my early shots were too far back.

So how about " straight up the front/back leg, in the middle of body", or "straight up in between the legs, in middle of body"?

Comment

Keep in mind that the entry point is irrelevant based upon body position. (I'm sure you know this but it's worth mentioning)

I'm a fan of younguns aiming behind the shoulder, lower third of the "kill zone" when standing dead broadside. Reason why is if the shooter pulls or is "off", there is still a great chance of a lethal shot and a recovery. Aiming for the shoulder itself, could turn out less fatal if the point of impact is in front of the shoulder.

Once the "first" one is under his belt, then more precise shooting instructions can be taught. Body position, elevation, detailed vitals and what I consider most important is "aim for the exit". Imagine the shot passing thru the animal and visualizing where the vitals are in relation to the shot angle and what vitals will be hit.

Another thing is to have him not look at the animal as a whole when he's about to shoot. Have him "lock in" on where he is going to shoot. This is especially helpful when shooting a buck for the first time. Kids will look at the antlers and get a worse case of "buck fever".

There used to be an app called "Shot Simulator" you could download to your phone that showed what vitals where hit depending upon the shot and angle. Unfortunately it has been since removed from the app store. There is another one (I haven't downloaded yet but lookes similar) called "Deer Target Shooting: Pro". Might be useful as a better visual aid instructor.

Good luck to the youngun!!

Comment

My kids are close as well. 4yo and 6yo boys.

When they are ready to pull the trigger on a live animal, we will probably set up in one of my bow blinds with the .223, and shoot one at 20 yards.

Right through the shoulders is the plan.

Comment

another thing we have done, and i read it here i believe, is my boys didnt shoot their "deer rifles" at the range, only 22s and 223 for practice. my 13yo has a 7mm08 and my 11yo has a 6.5c, they have had them since they were younger and i liked the idea of them not getting gun shy of the recoil, so i zeroed them.

when it came time to shoot an animal, both shot a pig first, neither of them were scared of, or even thought of the recoil, and even when asked after the shot, they said they never felt it or even heard the shot.

Comment

Right above the elbow joint
                          Easy to see & dead deer

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                            all great suggestions here, my boys were taught high shoulder, which to me is straight up the leg and about 1.5 "X's" higher in that illustration above. that X is where they have been taught if we have the crossbow with us.

you might look into one of these also, it has helped a lot with my boys. we have the caldwell field pod but this one is on sale right now...

https://www.amazon.com/FieldPod-Adju...35&sr=8-1&th=1
                            I jumped on this deal already. He started on it yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                              Get some Caldwell paper deer targets. They are life size paper targets, and show the vitals. Put a piece of tape, or draw a crosshair where you want him to aim. I told them to shoot right behind the shoulder, and placing the crosshair on the target will help him figure it out quickly. I did this with both of my boys, and they caught on real quick.

Also print a picture of a broadside deer, and draw a crosshair on it. Laminate that and take it to the stand with you so that you can study it with him.
                              I got some of those that should arrive today.

Comment

Working...
                              X