14 vs 16 SEER A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 vs 16 SEER A/C

My AC unit is getting near end of life. Anyone replaced their AC unit recently? It’s a $1700 difference between a 14 and 16 SEER 4 ton unit. Is it worth it? What’s your experience? These prices are crazy high

I replaced my 5 ton system last year. I went with a 14 seer and have no regrets. AC guy told me it wasn’t enough energy savings to justify it in his opinion.

Comment

Not worth it in my opinion either. I install them every day.

Comment

Nope, not worth it.

Comment

I think its nominal BTU divided by seer rating to get watts per hour. Divide 1000 to get KWH.
          Multiply that by by your KWH cost and that gives you the cost to run each for one hour.
          Avg hours ran per year multiplied by hourly cost. Subtract the difference and calculate how many years to recoup $1700.
          Would take me close to 8 years.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Research the tax credit options available. When I did it a few years back it required 16 seer and the credit on my situation made them the same cost.

Comment

Im having a 2 ton 16 SEER Amana installed for $1200 more than 14 SEER on a rental property. 16 SEER is lifetime warranty vs 14 SEER 10 yr. Condenser is bigger, motor is beefier, and evaporator coil is bigger…purportedly.

Good luck MrMasmak

Comment

pm sent

Comment

All I know is the 21 seer that was put in my house cut enough off of my electric bill to make the monthly payment on the loan I had to get. It paid for itself.

Comment

Working...
                  X