Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-10-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default Long range hunting?

I keep seeing people promoting long range hunting ? Legit saw a buddy today post a pic with a guy saying first deer at 900 yards. Seems like a good gig to me. Get someone 500 yards plus from a deer and if they hit your a hero? If they miss they suck?

So how about this. I will guarantee you,Ēif you can sit your *** stillĒ a 10 yard shot at either a pig or a deer?? There are lots of guys on here looking for their first bow kill that could use that guarantee. I am joking obviously. But seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
Grumpy1911
Ten Point

Hunt In: Louisiana/South Texas

So whats your question?

Grumpy1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 02:32 AM   #3
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1911 View Post
So whats your question?
I think the question is how far away from the animal can you get and still call it hunting instead of a technical shooting exercise.
100%TtId is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
Wood Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches County

For me it’s all about the ethical harvest of an animal. I’m not confident in my ability with long range shooting. The risk of making a non lethal shot is too high to suite me so I personally keep it close.
Wood Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #5
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Thats why i dont call hunting a sport. Shooting bows is a sport, long range shooting is a sport but killing a living breathing creature is not sport. Missing your 900 yard steel targets center dot by 3 inches is not the same as blowing the guts out of an animal at 900 yds
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #6
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Itís hard to judge what should and shouldnít be done.

Just because you canít doesnít mean I shouldnít.

Shooting game with a rifle at distance is no different than shooting an animal with a bow outside 30 yards.

Risk goes up but thatís when tons of practice and knowing your equipment comes in play.

No matter how far an animal is things can go wrong.

BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:54 AM   #7
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Since this is “my thing”, I’ll bite.
I agree it’s not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, it’s not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
Is it “hunting”? That’s to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if it’s really “hunting”. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the “ethical kill” soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldn’t be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didn’t get posted.

Again, I don’t think it’s for everyone, but I don’t think it’s for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. I’ll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and I’m fully confident that they won’t go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesn’t have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldn’t be allowed to.

Last edited by Trevor73402; 10-10-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
BeetleGuy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman, TX / Alread, AR

Hunters fighting hunters are a bigger threat to our heritage than any anti-hunting group.
BeetleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:57 AM   #9
Uncle Saggy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Since this is ďmy thingĒ, Iíll bite.
I agree itís not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, itís not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
Is it ďhuntingĒ? Thatís to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if itís really ďhuntingĒ. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the ďethical killĒ soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldnít be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didnít get posted.

Again, I donít think itís for everyone, but I donít think itís for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane.

Well Said

Uncle Saggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor73402 View Post
since this is ďmy thingĒ, iíll bite.
I agree itís not for everyone. Not everyone should be doing it. However, itís not some type of super sniper mystical voodoo that many people try to make it out to be.
Is it ďhuntingĒ? Thatís to be decided by the person doing it. A lot of what people on here do could be debated if itís really ďhuntingĒ. Not a lot of hunting involved in sitting in a box blind over a corn feeder and protein feeder waiting for the deer to come in like cattle when the feeder starts spinning. Before anyone jumps on the ďethical killĒ soapbox, let me remind you that we had several threads just on opening day on here telling stories of deer that couldnít be found due to poor shots (inside 35 yards). Untold countless others that didnít get posted.

Again, i donít think itís for everyone, but i donít think itís for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane.
bingo
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #11
Farmdog
Ten Point

Not a fan, just me, but I will stay in my lane good advice
Farmdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #12
6.5CM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:

Again, I donít think itís for everyone, but I donít think itís for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. Iíll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and Iím fully confident that they wonít go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesnít have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldnít be allowed to.
Totally agree
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:31 AM   #13
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:

Again, I donít think itís for everyone, but I donít think itís for others to judge either. You need to do what works for you and stay in your lane. Iíll shoot 1-2 deer this next month between 700-950 yards and Iím fully confident that they wonít go 50yds, if they leave their own tracks. Just because someone else doesnít have the ability to do this, does not mean I shouldnít be allowed to.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #14
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Last edited by Radar; 10-10-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:

I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if thatís what it takes to get the job done. Itís more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I was just poking fun at people willing to pay to get that far from an animal, I wonder what they would pay to get 10 yards lol.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:43 AM   #16
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

I may have misunderstood the OP but I thought he was referring to the ability of the guide to get someone to within 900 yards vs the ability to get them within bow range. I don't care who shoots what but I can see where it would be much easier to guide someone who didn't have to be very close.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:44 AM   #17
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Hammer meet nail!! Well said

Im in the planning stages of an antelope hunt for 2020 and will practice shots over my normal routine. 'Just in case' however, I don't expect to shoot 900 at an animal. That said, I would like to sit on a prairie dog town with my 204 and see how far I can hit one
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:46 AM   #18
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doright View Post
I may have misunderstood the OP but I thought he was referring to the ability of the guide to get someone to within 900 yards vs the ability to get them within bow range. I don't care who shoots what but I can see where it would be much easier to guide someone who didn't have to be very close.

This was my point lol

Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 AM   #19
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if that’s what it takes to get the job done. It’s more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I was just poking fun at people willing to pay to get that far from an animal, I wonder what they would pay to get 10 yards lol.

Yeah, I misunderstood in the beginning. I removed my first reply.

I aint that good of a shot with any weapon, so the closer the better for me. I cant even shoot doves with a shotgun at 25 yards. I prefer my misses under 25 yards
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #20
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
I guess I should clarify. I see nothing wrong with shooting stuff that far if thatís what it takes to get the job done. Itís more of the fact people are guiding someone for the purpose of shooting that far that is weird to me. I just find it super weird to set up for a 900 yard shot when it would be super easy to get a 300 yard shot.

I can totally see what you mean here. Iíll admit that I could easily build my hunting setups for less than 100yd shots. I actually did make one this year that is less than 50yds max distance. First time in years that Iíll hunt a location like this. However, most of my hunting setups (3) are purposely in areas to utilize the max distance possible....out to 1050 yards.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #21
Alta
Four Point

Quote:

Good response - Iíve always had two questions when I hear about long range shots. First, whenever Iíve shot long range for the fun of it at steel targets it seems to take a long time for the bullet to hit the steel (honestly longer than I would think). In hunting situations does the deer not hear the shot and take a step? Practically just curious as to how the actual kill goes down. Second, Iíve never hunted in a situation where I couldnít get way closer than 1,000 yards. What types of situations require these long shots? Thanks
Alta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I do not want to take away from your ability to hit at that range...But after hunting over 60y with bow/gun ...And have been in on 100s of recovers and searches.most were fello hunters.
The biggest problem I have seen is Finding the Spot Game was Standing or which Spot did he go out of sight.....To start the search.......and were talkin 10Y to 300y shots
Thats got to be a Major Factor when talkin 1/2 MILE
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #23
sharpshooter1
Six Point

Hunt In: The South Texas brush

My goal this year is to shoot a pig at 1000 yards. Longest so far is 675.
sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:54 AM   #24
Chad C
Pope & Young

I still prefer to close the distance. Prairie Dogs at 1K sounds fun!
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #25
Passthrough
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
Good response - Iíve always had two questions when I hear about long range shots. First, whenever Iíve shot long range for the fun of it at steel targets it seems to take a long time for the bullet to hit the steel (honestly longer than I would think). In hunting situations does the deer not hear the shot and take a step? Practically just curious as to how the actual kill goes down. Second, Iíve never hunted in a situation where I couldnít get way closer than 1,000 yards. What types of situations require these long shots? Thanks
Speed of sound is roughly 1100 fps. As long as the bummer is moving faster than that...itíll hit target before they ever knew it
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #26
TwoHighways
Four Point

Why though? Shooting steel and shooting animals are two different things and if you can close the distance to make a more ethical shot, why would you purposely choose not to? It would be equivalent to having a whitetail inside of 20 yards broadside and saying, “nah I’d rather let him get out to 40”.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #27
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

I think it is odd to set up hunting situations so that you can take a long shot. That is turning hunting into golf.

If a long shot is required by the situation, then so be it.

Of course, compound bows and ozonics are two of many odd things I hunt with.

Last edited by El General; 10-10-2019 at 08:09 AM.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
Why though? Shooting steel and shooting animals are two different things and if you can close the distance to make a more ethical shot, why would you purposely choose not to?
I don't think that range and ethics are tied together. There are too many variables.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta View Post
If you are referring to the sound of the bullet hitting the steel, you need to remember that time consists of the time it takes the bullet to reach the target, PLUS the added time it takes the sound of the impact to travel all the way back to your firing location. Yes, that can seem like a long time.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #30
Trevor73402
Eight Point

This topic has turned south more than once in the past here......Bottom line......whatever/however we choose to hunt, we should all be able to get along. Way too many things in the world today to grind your axe over.....how or what we hunt shouldnít be one of them. I have a long list of hunting dislikes.....people who shoot bears. Elephants. Big cats. At the end of the day, I still need to be able to find some common ground with a fellow hunter and let him have his thing and Iíll have mine.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM   #31
Mudbug
Four Point

Some people can make ethical kills at 900 yards time and time again with a rifle and then there are people who can make 50-yard ethical kills time and time again with a bow just because some people can't do it doesn't mean they have to hate everybody who can I can't make either one ethically but I have seen it done time and time again some people are just better than others don't hate
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #32
AlwaysGigEm
Four Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, D'Hanis, Kansas

Different strokes for different folks. People wanna tell you that you shouldn't because they can't. I wouldn't dream of taking a shot like that, but that's because I haven't trained like that.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #33
6.5CM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I hope one day I have the skill to take a animal at long ranges but till then I won’t even think about trying it. I enjoy watching videos of highly skilled hunters taking those shots, they use the best tools out there to get the job done. The animals in the videos are usually DRT or only make it a few yards before tumbling over.
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #34
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have no problem with someone shooting past 500 at a deer if they are capable. Heck, Iím guilty at gut shooting a deer at 100. I was a teenager and could shoot a lot better than that but I rushed a shot and that was the result. Ended up putting another round in him and finishing within 15 seconds though. And Iíve dabbled in the long range shooting as well shooting steel. Worse thing I could have done was shoot a deer at 605 yards. That was an expensive mistake because I immediately lost all interest in shooting deer with a rifle and since then I now own three top end bows... lol. I could have gone on a hunt of a lifetime with my rifle with what Iíve spent on archery in the last 3-4 years.... but, itís hard to beat drawing back on a deer or elk at 20 yards! Which adds to the cost since this was my second year in a row to go to Colorado and kill an elk.

Oh well, Iím ruined now and stuck on archery... lol

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #35
huntindude
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brazoria county and Menard
Default Long range hunting?

I think as long as someone can cleanly, ethically and confidently make a good shot it is fine. The question by some is ďis it hunting?Ē The answer is yes. Personally I donít take very long shots at game, simply because I donít have the skill set or confidence. Just because others have that skill set does not make me more of a hunter than they are. I think as sportsmen we get to caught up in battling one another and forget that we all play for the same team.

Last edited by huntindude; 10-10-2019 at 09:33 AM.
huntindude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #36
TWP
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Larkin trolling TBH again!!! Go home JT, you’re drunk!
TWP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:36 AM   #37
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

I think a lot of long range hunting is logistics and perception.

There is a lot of difference in big western country (Montana, Wyoming) where their average shot range is longer than the longest shot we could take in East Texas.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #38
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP View Post
Larkin trolling TBH again!!! Go home JT, youíre drunk!

Lol You have seen how far I will shoot a bow. I am not questioning the ethic of shooting long range if thatís what it takes to kill an animal. I am questioning why you would purposely get a long *** way to shoot one when you could get closer.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:44 AM   #39
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

The way I see if, if you are at a range that is well within your skill to make a hit at a distance where the animal can't move enough to make a difference in the shot before the bullet can hit then I'd consider that "ethical" even if not my thing.

Plenty of dudes shouldn't even be shooting at 50 yards, much less 500 and above and there are dudes who can make 800 yard shots better than I can shoot at 100.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #40
DarrellS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone and Mills Counties

Quote:

Well said, Sir.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk
DarrellS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #41
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tejas

I feel like the game and hunt area dictates a lot of long range hunting scenarios.
The other thing to remember is if they're on TV they're advertising the gear they're using and its capabilities in order to sell more of it so you're essentially just watching a commercial.
They probably wouldn't be able to sell as many custom 300 win mags with $4K scopes if they stalked within 120 yards to shoot because then we'd know we could already do that with granddaddies 30-06.
Seems most guides are gonna strive to give their hunters the opportunity they request.
As far as the hunters requesting it? Thats their call. I won't shoot a deer with my bow from more than 30yds but have no issue with shooting a deer from 600+yds. its just individual comfort level.
BigJimmyRustler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #42
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I wonder if you averaged 100 bowhunters 3 shots groups at 35 yards, and 100 long range shooters groups at 900 yards whos would be better.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #43
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I wonder if you averaged 100 bowhunters 3 shots groups at 35 yards, and 100 long range shooters groups at 900 yards whos would be better.
IMO I don't think that would be apples-to-apples.
Now something like 35yds bow to 300yds rifle would be more comparable.
35 & 300 yards both seem just outside of average limits.
Obviously everyone's limitations are different though so it's hard to say.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #44
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

1000 yards, 10 yards, rifle/bow, crossbow/compound/trad, same old tired debate. How ever someone chooses to hunt, if it's legal, have at it. The hunting community would be a much better one if everyone did what they wanted and minded their own business.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #45
TwoHighways
Four Point

No one has answered the “why”? Because I can? Ego driven? What are the ramifications of being off by 3 mph on a crosswind estimation when shooting 800+ yards?
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-10-2019, 10:13 AM   #46
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
IMO I don't think that would be apples-to-apples.
Now something like 35yds bow to 300yds rifle would be more comparable.
35 & 300 yards both seem just outside of average limits.
Obviously everyone's limitations are different though so it's hard to say.
The reason I think it is comparable because most all long range hunters have the equipment and practice at that range. The average rifle shooting 1000 yards would be more like the average bow shooting 100 yards. Kentucky windage doesn't really work in those cases
Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #47
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHighways View Post
No one has answered the “why”? Because I can? Ego driven? What are the ramifications of being off by 3 mph on a crosswind estimation when shooting 800+ yards?
Depends... assume elevation is 1200, temp is 50, humidity is 70, pressure is 30,
With a 6.5cm 143gr ELDX at 800 a 3MPH crosswind difference from 5MPH to 8MPH is .46 MRAD.... or 13.2 inches.

Quote:
The reason I think it is comparable because most all long range hunters have the equipment and practice at that range. The average rifle shooting 1000 yards would be more like the average bow shooting 100 yards. Kentucky windage doesn't really work in those cases
I don't think I follow...I don't understand how 35 yards with a bow(a distance fairly easy for a novice to attain an somewhat acceptable grouping (myself included lol) is equal to 900 yards with a rifle which is a much more difficult task. A similar skill level distance would have to be much close to 35/300.

Last edited by BigJimmyRustler; 10-10-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #48
BrianL
Pope & Young

I don't think I follow...I don't understand how 35 yards with a bow(a distance fairly easy for a novice to attain an somewhat acceptable grouping (myself included lol) is equal to 900 yards with a rifle which is a much more difficult task. A similar skill level distance would have to be much close to 35/300.[/QUOTE]

It's all about the proper equipment for a given range. The shot isn't as hard as the wind, distance, and bullet drop. But those all come into play with a bow as well.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #49
BigJimmyRustler
Eight Point

Quote:
It's all about the proper equipment for a given range. The shot isn't as hard as the wind, distance, and bullet drop. But those all come into play with a bow as well.

I shoot LR and shoot bows, and IMO 35 yards and 900 yards are nowhere near the same level of difficulty.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 AM   #50
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyRustler View Post
I shoot LR and shoot bows, and IMO 35 yards and 900 yards are nowhere near the same level of difficulty.

Exactly it would be more like 100 yards and 1000 yards.