Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #1
Loftin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Your backyard
Default Sitka gear

School me in Sitka gear!?!? Worth the money?? Only had 1 buddy ever wear it and he swore by it. Can I get lighter weight stuff and layer under it and be good for most Texas hunting? I mostly spot and stalk hunt a lot and already have some camo if Iím gonna sit in a feed when itís cold or in a box stand if crazy cold. Thereís 197 different pant and jacket options from Sitka so someone help me lol
Loftin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
hoytassassin
Eight Point

Hunt In: everywhere

I just got into the Sitka game at the end of last year for waterfowl so I can’t speak to their whitetail line but I bought the Duckoven jacket and it opened my eyes. Expensive? Yes, but that jacket is exactly what the name implies. I’ve never been warmer. Have seen replaced some of my drake gear for Sitka and will continue to do so. Worth every penny
hoytassassin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
CodyWitt
Six Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico

Buy once, cry once. People who talk down about it have never used the gear. It’s designed to be used in a system so one piece isn’t working to its full potential without the other parts. I justify the price like this, we spends 10s of thousands a year on hunting, if you can’t sit still in the stand because you are cold and that deer you have so much time/money bust you because you are cold and can’t sit still.... that $300 jacket was mighty cheap compared to missing out on the opportunity you have waited all year on. If you are sitting in a box stand with a heater, it’s probably not for you. Technical hunting and or hunts where you are exposed to the weather, it’s worth every penny.
CodyWitt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #4
mdnabors
Ten Point

Hunt In: Weatherford, Kansas, MS

It’s top of the line stuff no two ways about it. Very well thought out for hunters. And yes, it’s pricey, but I look at it as an investment that’ll last me many many years because I take good care of my stuff. I also found a lot of it on sale after season...

For TX, you shouldn’t need anything heavier than the Stratus (midweight) Jacket and Pants. They have a nice early season whitetail combo too that may work better for you if you stalk. I hunt Kansas so I also have the Fanatic jacket and it’s like wearing an oven, but that’s needed sometimes up there. Go try on some of it at a Bass Pro or Cabelas and see what you think. Good luck
mdnabors is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
Hsbtgarcia
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio, Polk, Angelina, Trinity, Houston Counties, Oklahoma, Kansas, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnabors View Post
Itís top of the line stuff no two ways about it. Very well thought out for hunters. And yes, itís pricey, but I look at it as an investment thatíll last me many many years because I take good care of my stuff. I also found a lot of it on sale after season...

For TX, you shouldnít need anything heavier than the Stratus (midweight) Jacket and Pants. They have a nice early season whitetail combo too that may work better for you if you stalk. I hunt Kansas so I also have the Fanatic jacket and itís like wearing an oven, but thatís needed sometimes up there. Go try on some of it at a Bass Pro or Cabelas and see what you think. Good luck
X2!!!

I also use the Stratus system for Tx and Fanatic system for Kansas.
Best cold weather gear Iíve ever owned!
Hsbtgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2019, 11:25 PM   #6
Loftin
Ten Point

thanks fellas, always the best input from the green screen. i will be trying some on to get sizing down for sure cause ive heard sizing runs a tad bit small, but i may be wrong on that also.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #7
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have Sitka and Kuiu and have comfortably hunted Texas, Colorado and Kansas with it. It’s fantastic gear and lasts a long time if you take care of it.
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 05:46 AM   #8
FlyGuyy
Nubbin' Buck

Itís expensive, but Once you wear a few pieces youíll understand. Build up the pieces over time, look for used gear, etc. but yeah, itís not just hype.
FlyGuyy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Good advice, Thanks guys
topwater blowup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Have an open country system and a timber system w/ delta wading jacket. It’s so well built I know all pieces will last me a decade maybe longer. Cuts the wind out like no other gear I’ve used.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #11
taylormade820
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grayson, Clay, Young county

great gear. its expensive but most everything that's worth it is.. try on before you buy online
taylormade820 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:37 AM   #12
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

Great gear! Get the pants that have the knee pads in them, it makes a world of difference when you are stalking and have to be on your knees for extended periods of time.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
76aggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Irion Co.

I am a believer in Sitka. I have the Kelvin Jacket and Kelvin Vest, both are Primaloft filled. Don't use it a whole lot in Texas but have used it extensively in Alaska. I believe they make these in water resistant down now but I stuck with the Primaloft. When it rains, I put on a rain jacket but invariably you will get the jacket wet especially in Ak. It still retains its warming ability even when somewhat wet. I have never had it drenched but fairly wet and it still worked very well. Also dries fairly easily in the backcountry and very fast if you have a cabin available.

I have found it to be true to size. Layering works very well. Even in temps in the mid 20's, I am comfortable wearing merino wool baselayer, wool sweater and the Kelvin jacket.
76aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #14
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

100% worth every penny of it. If you are law enforcement or public gov employee there are places where you can get %40 off.

I found all of mine after season. 40-%50 off and it does not hurt near as bad.
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #15
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

I have had the same set, pants, shirt, vest and jacket for 6 years and it is still in great shape. If you can afford it, go for it. You will thank yourself.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #16
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

I bought a bunch of the whitetail gear in Elevated ii pattern. I have some buddies who have sworn by their stuff. To be honest the only reason I bought it was because I have a connection to where I got 47 percent off. I would never pay retail for that stuff. With the discount, it was cheaper than any other brand stuff I could get.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 10-02-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
44mAG
Ten Point

Everything except for their rain gear is nice and worth it. Buy rain gear from somewhere else. I just got back from a high country elk hunt, and all of the guides and outfitter refer to it as "****ka". They have all tried the rain gear and they all said it leaks really bad around the seams. Base and mid layer stuff is great though.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #18
LivinADream
Ten Point

Hunt In: Winnie, Piqua KS

I love the stuff, have quite a bit of it, but very rarely use it in tx. If I only hunted tx, I'm not sure that I would buy it, for the simple reason is it doesn't get cold enough to wear it more than 3-5 days a year where I hunt in tx, and when it's hot, I can get by with jeans and any shirt, rather than their expensive early season stuff.

Having said that, if you can justify it, it is absolutely top notch stuff. I love every peice that I have, and as a system, it works very well, and is extremely comfortable. I even have a few things in black or dirt colors that I wear for every day stuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
LivinADream is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #19
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

I love my Sitka gear. To me, it’s worth the price, especially since it outlasts cheaper clothing. A lot of cheap camo is sort of disposable...you get one or two seasons out of it before it fades or the material degrades with repeated washes. My under amour and cabelas stuff looked pretty bad after 2 years.
My oldest Sitka gear is 3 years old and it still looks and feels new.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #20
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I have a ton of it. Here is what I use.

If its hot merino core lightweight half zip shirt and equinox pant.

As it gets cooler, I'll throw on the Stratus Vest and wear the heavyweight merino top.

When its cold, I wear the Stratus Jacket and Stratus Pants. If its really cold, I'll wear the Fanatic Vest on top of the Stratus Jacket. With that set up I don't think there are any Texas temps you couldn't sit all day through.

If you buy pieces that have the wind stopper in it they do a great job of keeping you warm.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #21
troy_w_7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North TX Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyWitt View Post
Buy once, cry once. People who talk down about it have never used the gear. Itís designed to be used in a system so one piece isnít working to its full potential without the other parts. I justify the price like this, we spends 10s of thousands a year on hunting, if you canít sit still in the stand because you are cold and that deer you have so much time/money bust you because you are cold and canít sit still.... that $300 jacket was mighty cheap compared to missing out on the opportunity you have waited all year on. If you are sitting in a box stand with a heater, itís probably not for you. Technical hunting and or hunts where you are exposed to the weather, itís worth every penny.
I like this perspective!
troy_w_7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #22
AlwaysGigEm
Four Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, D'Hanis, Kansas

In a tree stand in Kansas during winter, you gotta have it. Worth every penny.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
BuckSmasher
Ten Point

Hunt In: All Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftin View Post
School me in Sitka gear!?!? Worth the money?? Only had 1 buddy ever wear it and he swore by it. Can I get lighter weight stuff and layer under it and be good for most Texas hunting? I mostly spot and stalk hunt a lot and already have some camo if Iím gonna sit in a feed when itís cold or in a box stand if crazy cold. Thereís 197 different pant and jacket options from Sitka so someone help me lol
It is worth the price. I think KUIU is just as good or better for same price/cheaper.
BuckSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #24
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Do you need absolutely it? Probably not.
Is it worth it? Yes, if you value high end clothing.

I won't say it's the "best" but it's the best made hunting clothing I've seen compared to all the others.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #25
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
Everything except for their rain gear is nice and worth it. Buy rain gear from somewhere else. I just got back from a high country elk hunt, and all of the guides and outfitter refer to it as "****ka". They have all tried the rain gear and they all said it leaks really bad around the seams. Base and mid layer stuff is great though.
Iíd like to know what line they used if they really have used it. Mine doesnít let a drop through anywhere. Itís awesome
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #26
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

I have the mountain pants and jacket and love them. Sitka, first lite, Kuiu, Six Site are all top quality brands

I have had the Cabela’s Insinct line for a couple years and it doesn’t hold up to normal washing. Color fades and the base layer pills a lot. I prefer first lite base layers and Sitka outerwear
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #27
Radar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pandora

I have bought quite a bit of SKRE. I like it real well, they have 15% right now.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 03:06 PM   #28
Trevor73402
Eight Point

Where is everyone buying it at to get these 20%-40% discounts being talked about?
Trevor73402 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Where is everyone buying it at to get these 20%-40% discounts being talked about?
I have a buddy who is on their prostaff or whatever they call it. I got all my stuff directly from their website.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #30
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

I bought a sitka gear shirt, pants, jacket, hat base layers about 5 years ago and they're still in mint condition, yes its expensive but all the other camo brands I buy they don't hold up like sitka gear does and sitka doesn't shrink at all after washes...the base layers are second to none...I love It...I buy all my sitka gear on ebay brand new....youll save a bunch of money, usually its the older versions but in my opinion those were their best patterns.....
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #31
blackfoot1
Four Point

I loaned my Sitka jackets out to a moose packer up here in Alaska two weeks ago. He got caught out at a spike camp with out his sleeping bag when the weather set in. Said It saved his life. He said he thought It was too expensive, now he’s going to buy It.
blackfoot1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 07:40 AM   #32
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Camofire has a bunch on sale again today if you’re the right size
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #33
Bowanta
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking in Texas and Franklin County (Unit 11), Kansas

I have been using Sitka for about 8 years now and Love it. Especially when I hunt in Kansas in the cold. Worked well in Michigan as well. It IS WORTH the Money
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #34
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor73402 View Post
Check Camofire, they have sitka on their fairly regularly

Edit: And by regularly I mean RIGHT NOW. you have 24 hours. Go! Lol

Last edited by Jspradley; 10-05-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM   #35
Payne346
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_w_7 View Post
I like this perspective!
This is correct sir....agree 1000% for sure. Just like Swaro binos. Folks trying to compare them to vortex and other good binos, but you get what you pay for I think. It is very expensive, but you buy once and cry once!
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #36
Payne346
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loftin View Post
Good thread and Iíve been thinking the same thing here. Also, they run a little small from what Iíve read correct? If you wear a XL normally, do you always need a XXL in Sitka?
Payne346 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #37
sahunter
Four Point

tagged
sahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #38
Hornfan
Six Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Bridgeport and Collin

Have light medium and heavy setups and love it all.
Hornfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #39
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne346 View Post
This is correct sir....agree 1000% for sure. Just like Swaro binos. Folks trying to compare them to vortex and other good binos, but you get what you pay for I think. It is very expensive, but you buy once and cry once!
Yup, I'm not rich enough to buy crappy gear!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:49 PM   #40
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska
Default Sitka gear

I love it. Bar none best clothing line Iíve ever used. Itís expensive but worth it. Thankfully I am on the outfitter discount now which takes the sting out of purchase.

I have the Waterfowl line and well as a majority of the big game line hunting wise. I also have numerous work/casual shirts and pants which I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by LuBowhunter; 10-05-2019 at 08:51 PM.
LuBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #41
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

Buy on eBay lads , Iím looking at buying the pants for less than 80 bucks brand new right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #42
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

check out Mountain Archery as they are closing out their inventory....Great deals....I stocked up on more.....Free Shipping use FREESHIP as the code....
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #43
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Love my Sitka duck hunting gear. Hudson Jacket is the best jacket I've ever owned. So warm and no bulk. If it's 30 degrees out, I'm putting on under armour 4.0 shirt and my Hudson jacket and will be plenty warm. That said, i can gladly wear it when its 50 out and not be too hot.

This site has some Sitka stuff on sale. https://www.mountain-archery.com/sit...closeouts.aspx

Last edited by Fmjag64; 10-07-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-09-2019, 11:17 PM   #44
Loftin
Ten Point

welp pulled the trigger. went with the equinox bottoms, jacket, mid weight tee and a fanatics hoodie in the elevated 2, with all the responses and after trying it on i cant wait to get the lightweight stuff for spring hunting in the sub alpine. i think layering with this equinox will keep me plenty warm in kansas in november