Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties
Default Part 2-2019 Saltwater Thread

Seems like weíve taken the other thread to the brink with Tapatalk. Iíll go ahead and start a second thread so it wonít take so long to load hereís the last two days in the surf. Water finally got right.

panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #2
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Nicely done... we needed it, and oh that kid's way too cute to be yours
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Nice man! Hopefully it’ll be right next week I’m going to try and get up there early Friday if I can get my bride out of bed!
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #4
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Made a late evening run to Surfside today after missing last 2 mornings due to my daughter's wedding. Water was green to beach ,But pretty choppy & got worse from there. At the end it just got too rough for me to fight it. Water stayed good though. Caught 10 -12 trout probably with 4 keepers. Caught on Dsl & Kelly wigglers. May see what things look like in the AM & check out surf or west Gal bay.

DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #5
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Looks like yall guys had a good weekend in the surf.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #6
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Made a late evening run to Surfside today after missing last 2 mornings due to my daughter's wedding. Water was green to beach ,But pretty choppy & got worse from there. At the end it just got too rough for me to fight it. Water stayed good though. Caught 10 -12 trout probably with 4 keepers. Caught on Dsl & Kelly wigglers. May see what things look like in the AM & check out surf or west Gal bay.

Your living right David...
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Seems like weíve taken the other thread to the brink with Tapatalk. Iíll go ahead and start a second thread so it wonít take so long to load hereís the last two days in the surf. Water finally got right.

Good stuff!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I think david threw that strawberry white Kelly wiggler just to spite us!!!

Nicely done fellas. I was busy this weekend but never saw a fishin rod much less the water
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #9
tkusak
Spike

Hunt In: Christine, TX & Edna, TX

got the trout this weekend. 4 man limit at 6:18 am. Maybe 5 over 20, but most in the 17" range.
tkusak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #10
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post

Nice! Good to see that old school set up still kill'n e'm!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Glad you guys did well.

I didnít get to fish but I did spend 3 days with my Bride carefully dividing our time between

and wine tasting in the hill country. Pretty good trade off IMO!
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Nicely done... we needed it, and oh that kid's way too cute to be yours
You obviously don't know his wife!!

Nicely done Phillip! And she is a real cutie!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Glad you guys did well.

I didnít get to fish but I did spend 3 days with my Bride carefully dividing our time between

and wine tasting in the hill country. Pretty good trade off IMO!
I wish we could have made it. It would have been wayyyyy better than the weekend I had
Old 07-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
droebuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard County

Nicely done by you guys who got to hit the surf this weekend. I was in the Hill Country toobing and it was fun but I still would rather be in the salt.
droebuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #15
Derrik
Ten Point

Hunt In: Zavala County

Couple pics from last week in Costa Rica.. Finally caught a rooster.

Name:  IMG_2710.jpg
Views: 5102
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2719.jpg
Views: 5075
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8912.jpg
Views: 5015
Size:  56.2 KB
Derrik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #16
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Congrats Derrik!
Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #17
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Tuff day yesterday evening. My grandson called and wanted to go fishing, so we high tailed it to EMB. Got on some pretty good trout for a short time and out of nowhere the wind decided to blow 25 mph out of the south. We ended up with (2) good trout and a beating. I'd do it all over again to spend the time with that young man again though. We'll get em next time.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

Good stuff! Little man had his saltwater tackle bag strung out all over the shop floor the other day! I need to make a plan to go catch some ocean perch somewhere!
Slew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

Yesterday morning the Matagorda surf was about as good as it gets. We didn't get out until late due to the weather. I guess we left the dock a little after 7. We started catching fish right away and it just got better and better. We caught 4 limits and released a ton more. As the morning went on the quality of the fish got better and better. My folks were soaking mullet for redfish after catching all their trout and c&r'ing a bunch more trout. I kept throwing a topwater and was catching 20-24" trout one after another. Fantastic morning.
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #20
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
Yesterday morning the Matagorda surf was about as good as it gets. We didn't get out until late due to the weather. I guess we left the dock a little after 7. We started catching fish right away and it just got better and better. We caught 4 limits and released a ton more. As the morning went on the quality of the fish got better and better. My folks were soaking mullet for redfish after catching all their trout and c&r'ing a bunch more trout. I kept throwing a topwater and was catching 20-24" trout one after another. Fantastic morning.

Yep. I go to Surfside now cuz I can keep 10 over there. Lol. I got all mine on a jerk bait in about 15 minutes at first light. Played around with different lures all morning, spoons, topwater, Leleís. Didnít seem to matter. We never did get any real size. My biggest was around 20 or so. Started getting cut off and a couple shark hook ups around 8:30 and headed back to Sweeny.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #21
RINCON
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Good stuff!
Nice catch
RINCON is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #22
fish4food
Eight Point

Quote:
Yep. I go to Surfside now cuz I can keep 10 over there. Lol. I got all mine on a jerk bait in about 15 minutes at first light. Played around with different lures all morning, spoons, topwater, Leleís. Didnít seem to matter. We never did get any real size. My biggest was around 20 or so. Started getting cut off and a couple shark hook ups around 8:30 and headed back to Sweeny.
I sure do miss fishing back home. Especially that limit. Wish I could make a trip back that way to hit the surf.
fish4food is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 09:05 AM   #23
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

We made the long trek down from the panhandle to do some saltwater fishing. Saturday we went out on a 12 hour party boat trip and got our limit of snapper . Yesterday we went wade fishing with Collin Gee out of POC and had our limit of trout early then picked up a few reds and a Spanish mackerel. It was a blast though I dont think I'll go wade fishing by myself after that experience. I wasn't as brave as I thought especially when I was in chest deep water at one point and something kept bumping my legs pretty good. Other than that it was a great experience and I hope to do it again sometime.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Nice catches!! Don't worry about those little bumps... was probably just your fish on the stringer bumping you... Been wade fishing for over 50 years, and only 2 things will put me back in the boat, LOTS of stingrays and dirty water and dang man-o-wars when they're thick certain times of the year... Never worry about sharks, but also never wade fish in shorts for that bumping reason.... don't want 'em to "feel" something that seems edible.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #25
Wall_Hanger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria & Re„l county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
I have never really fished the surf. Probably 2 times in the last 20 years. Both of those times have been from a boat, backing in and anchoring.

When you are looking to fish the surf, how to you decide where is "right"? Are you looking for bait sign or is the game catching them running up and down the bars? I have heard a lot of differing strategy on surf fishing and it got me pretty confused. We fish out of POC so walking in and wading is pretty hard unless its flat and you can take the boat in shallow enough to hop out. I am thinking I would like to try the iPilot in the surf when its calm enough and see what its all about.
Wall_Hanger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
I have never really fished the surf. Probably 2 times in the last 20 years. Both of those times have been from a boat, backing in and anchoring.

When you are looking to fish the surf, how to you decide where is "right"? Are you looking for bait sign or is the game catching them running up and down the bars? I have heard a lot of differing strategy on surf fishing and it got me pretty confused. We fish out of POC so walking in and wading is pretty hard unless its flat and you can take the boat in shallow enough to hop out. I am thinking I would like to try the iPilot in the surf when its calm enough and see what its all about.

Iím looking for clean water when I fish the surf, then bait.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
Tarleton Jake
Eight Point

Hunt In: Woodson, and Comfort TEXAS

Planning on hitting the surf bright an early on Mustang Island. Hoping to get in and out tomorrow before the crowds hit, but that may be a losing battle. Anyone else going to give it a try maŮana?

Jake
Tarleton Jake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #28
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
Planning on hitting the surf bright an early on Mustang Island. Hoping to get in and out tomorrow before the crowds hit, but that may be a losing battle. Anyone else going to give it a try maŮana?

Jake

Itís a little too rough for my liking.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #29
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Topwater bite was strong early in PI. A couple of us picked up limits pretty quickly. Our second boat came in a little later but it kind of shut off about that time. We picked up a few more keepers and several dinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #30
Jon-Paul
Administrator

Late report... Fished down in Corpus last week for a tourney that was out of Rockport. Caught some reds in the 5lb range that we release as we was only going to keep 7+ lbers. Unfortunately those was hard to come by.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #31
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: El Campo / Brookshire / Pineland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-Paul View Post
Late report... Fished down in Corpus last week for a tourney that was out of Rockport. Caught some reds in the 5lb range that we release as we was only going to keep 7+ lbers. Unfortunately those was hard to come by.
Were you at the Blast and Cast event Fri-Sunday? If so I'm Stephen, we talked for a minute about popping corks
marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 02:22 PM   #32
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Went to West Galveston bay this AM. Water was trout green & a good strong tide moving. Water was higher than normal. Started out kinda slow ,but then it busted loose. Throwing a strawberry/white DSL . Ended up catching 15 + or - trout. 4 in the 21 to 23 in range. Only had 2 throwback trout today. Released 2 reds & a couple of small flounder. Kept 1 16 in trout & 1 flounder for my sister. Days like this morning keep you going back for sure. Good water, tide, plenty of bait & a nice cloud cover to keep it cooler. Surf looked pretty clean coming home ,but like Phillip said earlier, a little too rough for my liking.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #33
JeffJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Somewhere in the hillcountry golden triangle

Good trout bite on the LLM this morning. Caught four trout limits while only catching four undersized fish. Was never hot and heavy until the wife and son doubled up to Finnish the limit with quality fish. Wind picked up and we opted to head in for lunch.

Last night we went down to the beach for sunset. We soaked some ballyhoo chunks and this ray about wore my daughter out.

JeffJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #34
Jon-Paul
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshhunter View Post
Were you at the Blast and Cast event Fri-Sunday? If so I'm Stephen, we talked for a minute about popping corks

Yes I was and those popping corks are like a four letter word for me. I'm not against using them but they are my last option.
Jon-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #35
Mexico
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall_Hanger View Post

For me it's one nasty 4 letter word..... WIND . How much of it and which way is it coming from....
Old 07-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #36
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Since itís virtually a done deal, waiting on the rest of the rigging I figured I would give yíall a sneak peak.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #37
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

I could be convinced to go try Gorda Surf in the morning, but I just checked the cam and it said 21mph ESE. I don't like getting beat up. Is it going to be decent tomorrow?
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 04:29 PM   #38
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Since itís virtually a done deal, waiting on the rest of the rigging I figured I would give yíall a sneak peak.

Dammit. Boy went with that black anchor. Hopefully it has a good warranty.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #39
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
I could be convinced to go try Gorda Surf in the morning, but I just checked the cam and it said 21mph ESE. I don't like getting beat up. Is it going to be decent tomorrow?

No it is not. Lol. Rather nasty on the cam.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #40
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
Surf will be blown out.
Old 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #41
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Boat is looking good Justin!
Old 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #42
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:

So they rigged it with the wrong motor, but after a little research I figured Iíd keep it. 5 year warranty.

Itís actually lighter than any other 150 4 stroke on the market.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:23 PM   #43
Mexico
Pope & Young

Guy gets hit by stingray and gives props to Everlast for it not going in farther... lmao...

I'm beginning to believe Philip when he says they're usless...

Not my pic...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #44
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Guy gets hit by stingray and gives props to Everlast for it not going in farther... lmao...

Not my pic...

Dammit. I’m going to have start double stacking em.

Props to everlast, lol. Thats the third person I’ve heard of in the last 3 weeks to still get penetrated with the guards.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #45
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Glad I didnít buy any ray guards seeing how they donít work.

Guide out of Matagorda Michael Kubecka has been hit twice in the last few weeks.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #46
gigem95
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grimes,Montgomery,Waller County

Quote:

Not my pic...

Walking backwards I guess.

gigem95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #47
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:

I've said it before.

Once you go black you cant get back

I'm not sure what to do about the ray guard deal. I just didnt find anything else

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #48
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post

I've said it before.

Once you go black you cant get back

I'm not sure what to do about the ray guard deal. I just didnt find anything else

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Iíll I-pilot back if I have to.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #49
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Iíll I-pilot back if I have to.