No announcement yet.

Reliability Newer Diesels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, one thing I forgot to add. On the 6.7, if you don’t change the fuel filters when it tells you to, it’ll leave your asss sitting on the side of the road. When it tells you to change them, do it. Don’t ignore the computer. It’s reading a pressure differential across that bottom filter on the frame rail under the drivers seat. When that pressure differential gets so high, it’ll go into “limp mode”. Then it will eventually shut down all together. If you ever hear the filter under the hood start to make a high pitch whine/squeal, it’s way past time to change them. If you ever do get stranded because of this, there is a yellow knob on the filter housing on the frame rail. You can unscrew it and bleed the pressure off and it’ll get you a mile or so down the road before you have to do it again. Pain in the asss but it’ll get you to a better place.

Comment

Reliability Newer Diesels

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
      I doubt you ever will.

My dad has a 99 on his second 7.3. The first one crapped out around 200k. He bought a 2003 replacement motor with 100k and put 30k on it before he started looking for more power.

I let him borrow my 2017 6.7 and a few months later he bought a f350 6.7 in caribou.

It’s not like it’s a Buick GSX but the fan boys sure believe so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Black Ice; 07-22-2019, 11:54 PM.

Comment

It’s not the engine you have to worry about with any of these trucks. It’s all the added EPA BS that makes most all of them problematic at some point.

Comment

No matter which brand you go, you can almost expect to have issues with the emissions part of the truck. The power train is good on all of the big 3 right now. I have a 2016 duramax with 50k miles. Never had an issue until recently, the service def system alarm came on. Took it in, warranty covered it, supposedly it was #2 exhaust sensor. That being said I think I’m done with diesel trucks. I’ll keep this one as long as it doesn’t start costing me money. I wouldn’t call it a need for me, but it’s nice for dragging my travel trailer and gooseneck trailer. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
            Haven’t had a single DEF or EGR issue on my 7.3 in 328,000 miles.

Nice but man those 7.3s are turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
              No matter which brand you go, you can almost expect to have issues with the emissions part of the truck. The power train is good on all of the big 3 right now. I have a 2016 duramax with 50k miles. Never had an issue until recently, the service def system alarm came on. Took it in, warranty covered it, supposedly it was #2 exhaust sensor. That being said I think I’m done with diesel trucks. I’ll keep this one as long as it doesn’t start costing me money. I wouldn’t call it a need for me, but it’s nice for dragging my travel trailer and gooseneck trailer. Good luck
              This is exactly right. You should fully expect emissions system parts to fail and cause other parts to fail as well, regardless of brand.

My best recommendation would be to find a low mileage, non altered truck, that is historically one of the good models. Buy it, let the emissions part fall off the truck mysteriously, drive it till the wheels fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                Such as.......?

I keep hearing all the Liberals on TV telling me the Earth is going to devour humanity with "Climate Change" but they can't give any examples either....

Sorry, I just dislike blanket statements on a certain product that have no basis or examples, or any info for that matter. Now, had you said the Ford 6.0 Diesel is a POS with head studs, intercooler, etc....issues, I'd have known what you were talking about. However, the 6.7 has really been a great diesel and not too many issues.

Well said

Comment

15 Ram 90k no issues except the Ford that rear ended it 17 Ram 96k no issues except tailgate latch that wouldn’t stay latched

Comment

Have a 2014 F250 with 165K and not one problem. Had a 2011 F250 that I drove to 140K with never a problem. I also had a 2003 F250 with a million problems.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      Haven’t had a single DEF or EGR issue on my 7.3 in 328,000 miles.

Won’t have to worry about speeding tickets either...

Comment

Post #10 covers the big things. If you run a diesel hard, it doesn't need to be deleted. They all run the same fuel pump, all prone to failure equally. Ford supposedly had a turbo issue on the 11-12's, but I have yet to meet anyone that actually had it happen to them (Not saying it doesn't happen, I just have zero first hand experience). The Dodge's from what I understand have an electronics issue. I have friends who had those issues, but they weren't specific to diesels. Just interior features.

FWIW, I drive a '12 F-250 with 144k on it. The front end is all factory parts still, and the mechanic just last week said it was rock solid, no need to even think about replacing parts on the front end. Since I've owned it, I replaced shocks, the intercooler pipe, deleted it, and done the correct maintenance on it. I also have the oil tested every oil change, and it produces contaminates no different than a new truck.

Other than that, it's bone stock, and it has never let me down (knock on wood).

Comment

I understand from my mechanic that all the newer diesels are all susceptible to issues with the fuel pump. When it fails it sends metal particles through the entire fuel system. The only way to repair is to replace the entire fuel system at a cost of $8.5 to 10K. This occurs at 100K plus. This keeps me motivated to keep my 7.3. May be a turtle but it's not taking a nap on the side of the road.

Comment

I just keep mine until the warranty is fixing to go out. Then go by another one. In my opinion your going to pay one way or another. I put a 100 thousand miles on one in 23 months or so. I have a 1ton 05 Duramax I keep on standby it only has 225 thousand on it. Completely stock slow but steady.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              Won’t have to worry about speeding tickets either...
                              They do give tickets for going to slow in some places you know

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                                I understand from my mechanic that all the newer diesels are all susceptible to issues with the fuel pump. When it fails it sends metal particles through the entire fuel system. The only way to repair is to replace the entire fuel system at a cost of $8.5 to 10K. This occurs at 100K plus. This keeps me motivated to keep my 7.3. May be a turtle but it's not taking a nap on the side of the road.
                                They make bypass kits.
                                If you’re that worried about it change the pump every 100k. They aren’t that expensive.
                                Nobody should have to suffer with the performance of a 7.3.

Comment

Working...
                                X