Moser, Draco, any other metal diy'ers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need ideas on how to fix this. Started with a 10' circle, trying to get to 7' circle. Cut section out, welded "hooks" on and started pulling. It kinked. Give me some ideas please.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Have any way to heat it up? Or cut notches out on the inside of the tube so it doesn’t kink. That’s probably your best shot without it kinking.

Comment

I see what you’re trying to do but it’s not going to work. Not even close. It would need to be rolled through a die several times to close that gap.

Comment

You should check with a muffler shop or somewhere that has a tubing bender. The right equipment will make short work out of this.

Comment

You’d have to wrap it around something round to keep it consistent. Or a bunch of “tabs” welded in a circle on a table.

Several 2X4s made into spokes with blocks to pull it around maybe. Gonna probly have to “clamp and roll”. It can be done.

That kink will be a problem from now on..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Dale Moser; 07-12-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Maybe more points to pull from at once with heat added. Looks like your forcing it into a U shape with only pull points at the end. May be able to find a welding shop and have them roll you a new piece at your specs.

Comment

If you had a piece of wire rope that fit the ID of the tubing you can slide it all the way thru and it might keep it from kinking.

Comment

It would be a snap with 2 sheets of plywood, plenty of clamps, and some 2X4s.

I HATE building round stuff.

Comment

Hindsight is 20/20 but you would’ve probably been better off cutting multiple sections out to make shorter bends.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                    Hindsight is 20/20 but you would’ve probably been better off cutting multiple sections out to make shorter bends.
                    This. Probably 3 equal sections.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                      This. Probably 3 equal sections.
                      I’m thinking about 30!

Comment

Pack the spots you are trying to bend with sand. This will help to keep it from kinking. Pack it tight. Good luck! You're gonna need it.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          Pack the spots you are trying to bend with sand. This will help to keep it from kinking. Pack it tight. Good luck! You're gonna need it.

This works.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                            You should check with a muffler shop or somewhere that has a tubing bender. The right equipment will make short work out of this.
                            Every thing I have for this project was free, was trying to keep it that way. Not gonna happen I don't guess.

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

That kink will be a problem from now on..

That's what I was worried about

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
                            Hindsight is 20/20
                            Boy ain't that the truth. I thought about most of the suggestions here before hand, just thought it would pull. Should have known better.

Except this one, didn't think about this.

Good thing I got two of them. Had plans for the other, but might give it a try. Seems like a challenge now.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

This works, had to do this while working in Saudi and we had plenty of sand.

Comment

Working...
                              X