Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any lawyers or anyone know much about Emotional Support Animals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am seeing more and more of these Emotional Support Animal certificates. (We manage some properties.) Usually they are dated just before an applicant puts in an application for a lease. They also tend to be the Pit Bull breed a lot to.

I know this may be a legit thing for some, but there are a ton of companies online that you can pay a nominal fee and get a "certificate."

It seems to me that for this to be any kind of real it should come from a Physician in the state you reside. Not from say... California. Is there any laws about this? point me to any unbiased information about them?

Not a lawyer, but work for the airlines. I've heard of emotional support donkeys getting on planes. Not sure there is much that can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
      Not a lawyer, but work for the airlines. I've heard of emotional support donkeys getting on planes. Not sure there is much that can be done.
      Lol

Comment

I am a lawyer but know nothing about this. I really feel like ESAs aren’t as protected as actual service animals. I think I read that recently.

Comment

Require them to buy an insurance policy covering their emotional animal

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
            Genius if this will work.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
              Is this allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                I am a lawyer but know nothing about this. I really feel like ESAs aren’t as protected as actual service animals. I think I read that recently.
                That is pretty much what I have read, but I can't find any real information on it.

Once again I know that it is not always the case and I am not speaking to true Service Dogs when I say this. There are some that may use this to avoid paying a pet deposit. This can really have an effect on the owner of a home if damage is done. I would just like to find some real information to read about it as it comes up more and more.
                Last edited by Miller; 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                  This is what I understand per lawyer of place I work

Comment

Here is my emotional support animal. No, really......
                    Attached Files

Comment

Some info that might be useful for you...

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 types of assistance animals.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	24568674

Welcome, Landlord! It’s likely that you’re here because a tenant or future tenant handed you an Emotional Support Animal letter from their therapist and you’re interested in finding out what your rights are as a landlord. You’re in the right place. And CertaPet is here to help...

Comment

I own two properties that will soon be rentals..... I don’t care what certificates they have. No pets means no pets. Move along.....

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          I own two properties that will soon be rentals..... I don’t care what certificates they have. No pets means no pets. Move along.....

I don’t think it works that way bud. It will be cheaper to replace the carpet several times than to fight the lawyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of the airlines just banned Emotional support animals on their planes, google it and find out the details. If they can do it, then they must not be legally protected like service dogs

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                              Some of the airlines just banned Emotional support animals on their planes, google it and find out the details. If they can do it, then they must not be legally protected like service dogs
                              Yeah.. some lady had an emotional support peacock... she was denied to board.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X