No announcement yet.

APR Rifle Accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all of the responses and great info. I will be getting APR to build my rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Null90 View Post
      Thanks for all of the responses and great info. I will be getting APR to build my rifle.
      You won’t regret it. My 7mm WBY shoots lights out. They are great guys to deal with also.

Comment

Everything I point my APR .280 at dies. That’s all I ask. That it’s a great looking rifle is just a bonus !

Comment

I’m gunna be that guy. I have nothing against APR but I will say since they are a sight sponsor they get plenty of work off this page. I have and had many of the big names and currently use one smith exclusively and my guns are garunteed .5 moa and they are shooting .25 moa it not better consistently with hand loads. Do your homework. Their are other smiths out there as good or better with the same pricing if not better. Find the smith that specializes in the type of gun you want before deciding on one. Some guys are great at .20 and .22 rifles. Will the other might specialize .284-.30 Guns. Find who does what you want the best.

Comment

My best 5 shot group was with Hornady prescision hunter and is just a hair under half an inch... But I don't shoot paper much and haven't tested many offerings

Taken it out to 1k consistently with Prime ammo

If it's 800 or closer and I want to hit it... It's in trouble

I have seen APR guns that shoot in the .1s

Your not going to find a better bunch of guys that want to take care of thier customers.
            Last edited by catslayer; 11-22-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
              I’m gunna be that guy. I have nothing against APR but I will say since they are a sight sponsor they get plenty of work off this page. I have and had many of the big names and currently use one smith exclusively and my guns are garunteed .5 moa and they are shooting .25 moa it not better consistently with hand loads. Do your homework. Their are other smiths out there as good or better with the same pricing if not better. Find the smith that specializes in the type of gun you want before deciding on one. Some guys are great at .20 and .22 rifles. Will the other might specialize .284-.30 Guns. Find who does what you want the best.
              It's ok to be "that guy". I'm happy to see anybody shooting a nice rifle no matter who built it.... and I have my own list of builders I'm a fan of as well that probably forgot more than ill ever know. That said, better is very subjective if not actually measured. There are a few critical areas that contribute to an accurate rifle. They can only be made so concentric or "straight" and the better builders are getting them straight enough to detect no measurable runout. At that level, it's no longer about the quality of the "work" so much as it is about the performance of the individual components.

Lots of us out there building out of the same general pool of components. Pretty much all of us, really. I'm certainly not going to say we're "better" than any other builder out there, because there are LOTS of great ones. But I will say none are cutting chambers any straighter than we are right now. Probably many just as straight, but not "better". I have hundreds of log sheets to back that up, and an open door policy that allows anybody to come into the shop and watch their rifle being built and see the numbers in real time. Again, I appreciate accurate rifles more than most no matter who built them, and am happy to see more folks choosing this path regardless of who they choose to do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post

The 6.5 CM is a great example going the other direction. High quality and many choices of ammo, but big lot to lot variations. I keep cases of Hornady 140 ELDM on hand for the demo guns. I have had cases that averaged a little under 1/2" in all of the demo guns. Right now we have a case thats running around 7/8" in all of them. Had a lot 2 years ago that was worse, and one earlier this year that was 1/4" - 3/8" or better in the demo guns. On average its right around 1/2". My point being, we could probably offer a 1/2" guarantee on those guns, but an odd lot of ammo would fail it and it would have nothing to do with the rifle itself.

Thanks,
                Robert
                Alamo Precision Rifles

I think thats what Im experiencing. The first box of hornady cut the same hole at 100 out of my CM. The other day it may have been an inch (I didnt pull the target) with the same bullet, different lot. However, I was experiencing some frustration with the range god running the deck

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                  Do you build as well or just shoot them? Not asking to be a **** but I only ask as a sentence in your paragraph has the words “or better”. As good is a justified comparison but the “or better” part may be a little tough to back up and I’ve always been interested to know where the other $1500+ is in one of the “big name” builders’ guns. Look, I have zero need to give a reach around to anyone at APR other than they’ve built one gun for me and it’s built right, shoots very well and they were nice fellas to deal with. All my others are built by my hands and I had them build it because I like to support our sponsors and I wanted to see what they could turn out and disappoint it did NOT. Just throwing it out there.

Comment

3 shot group out of my 6.5 Creed. 140 Grain Berger Bullets with Lapua Brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Null90 View Post
                      You will most likely enjoy any rifle you choose to have them build for you. I don't really have much for pictures of groups but did take my new 6.5 CM from the TBH build out to Triple C a few days ago to stretch its legs a bit. Even in a very strong wind I was able to score hits out to 1400 pretty consistently and even a few at 1500. That is even with factory ammo shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. Having to hold 9 mils to the left of a target and still hitting the right edge of a 30 inch target at 1500 yards is a decent amount of cross wind. The thing shoots better then I can and that is all I can ask for.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                        You will most likely enjoy any rifle you choose to have them build for you. I don't really have much for pictures of groups but did take my new 6.5 CM from the TBH build out to Triple C a few days ago to stretch its legs a bit. Even in a very strong wind I was able to score hits out to 1400 pretty consistently and even a few at 1500. That is even with factory ammo shooting Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr ELD-X. Having to hold 9 mils to the left of a target and still hitting the right edge of a 30 inch target at 1500 yards is a decent amount of cross wind. The thing shoots better then I can and that is all I can ask for.
                        My first PRS match at CCC had some wild gusting winds. On the 1100 yard targets, we had dialed 6 mil windage. My first shot, holding right edge of a 24" target, hit about 2' left of the left edge. Added another mil of windage (should have moved the impact 3', which would have been center target with the same hold), made a hit. Missed the next shot, but it was a called miss. Third shot, the wind died about the time I pulled the trigger. My impact was to the RIGHT of the third plate, about 9' (3 mils) from my aimpoint. Next shot was a hit, just where it was supposed to be. Wild.

Comment

3 shot group with factory Hornady eldm 6.5 prc at 500yds
                          I would say apr gets it
                          Attached Files

Comment

Accuracy is great, when the nut behind the trigger is tuned properly!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Dang, I am looking forward to my build more than ever now! Keep em coming

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X