No announcement yet.

Sheep/Goat Dogs Running on Wrong Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure one of the real ranchers will stop in and get a laugh at the city folk not knowing what real ranching is about.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      I'm sure one of the real ranchers will stop in and get a laugh at the city folk not knowing what real ranching is about.
      So true...completely different way of life that you cannot understand if you don’t truly live it, and just a few miles away from the big city

Comment

Neighbor's dog brings goat with him when he comes by

I have game cam pics of them both together

Never seen them in person

Comment

You don’t put tracking collars livestock protection dogs. Any chance they were hunting dogs and the dog owner wasn’t where he was supposed to be ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cbb1722 View Post
            I’m sorry but unless a dogs running deer it’s not gonna scare the deer completely off. They might step off out of the open but they’ll be back as soon as the dogs are gone. If they even step away. But the owner of the dogs outta at least go get the dogs
            Not been my experience with dogs and deer. The places we have hunted, where other people had used cat or hog dogs in the area, was the deer vanished for a week. I mean no deer coming to any corn, no sightings at all, they moved to a different area of the county. I could always tell when some A Hole had been running dogs on the property when we were there, because we would not see a single deer, like they had been completely exterminated. We would eventually find signs of dogs having been on the property. If we got lucky we would catch the dogs and get to talk to the guys running the dogs, we made it clear the dogs better not be back on the property at any time. A week or so later the deer would start showing back up. I have found baying dogs is very bad news, if you plan on hunting deer. They are terrified of baying dogs. A dog barking every so often, does not bother them much, but when you have a group of dogs, on the trail of something and are baying, the deer will leave the area in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              Not been my experience with dogs and deer. The places we have hunted, where other people had used cat or hog dogs in the area, was the deer vanished for a week. I mean no deer coming to any corn, no sightings at all, they moved to a different area of the county. I could always tell when some A Hole had been running dogs on the property when we were there, because we would not see a single deer, like they had been completely exterminated. We would eventually find signs of dogs having been on the property. If we got lucky we would catch the dogs and get to talk to the guys running the dogs, we made it clear the dogs better not be back on the property at any time. A week or so later the deer would start showing back up. I have found baying dogs is very bad news, if you plan on hunting deer. They are terrified of baying dogs. A dog barking every so often, does not bother them much, but when you have a group of dogs, on the trail of something and are baying, the deer will leave the area in a hurry.

Well i coon hunt. All over the state my dogs have been. All over the country. I’ve turned dogs loose in the middle of a herd of deer. The deer look but other then that pay no attention to the dogs. I coon hunt the property I deer hunt on and have hunted it the morning before opening season of bow and gun season. It does not affect the deer whatsoever. I’ll see the same deer the morning after as I do the evening before. I don’t usuakly hunt that weekend for Curtousy of other hunters around. But dogs aren’t going to affect deer hunting unless they’re running deer. It’s been proven time and time again. Even in the river bottoms where deer have never seen a person or a dog they don’t run off when a dog crosses paths and I’ve personally seen that. A dog outta be disciplined enough to not run a deer but even if they happen to it won’t run them out. And just know if a dog is killed because it is running a deer it’s a felony. Just keep that in mind

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                You don’t put tracking collars livestock protection dogs. Any chance they were hunting dogs and the dog owner wasn’t where he was supposed to be ?

I don’t think so. The breed of the dog was supposedly a sheep dog breed and when they got back to the goats they immediately started running with the goats.

Comment

It ain't the dogs that deer don't like. It's them stinking goats and sheep.
                  I've seen deer eating corn with yotes, coons, turkey, rabbits, porky-pines and even cows but when the ground maggots get close they haul butt.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post

I’ve also seen big deer on camera and in person after hog hunting. Particularly a very nice east Texas lease about 5 years ago. We turned out at a guys food plot that morning. Parked the trucks. Proceeded to catch 11 hogs. That afternoon the man went and sat at his food plot and saw 10 deer, one of which was a 150” type deer he videoed. It was very eye opening for the rest of the members. We had free reign after that. Lots of deer leases call us to run the hogs out before season and given time we can completely clean a place up. The first time we got to start hunting another big time trophy lease in east Texas we caught 125 in the first 7 hunts. This thinned the hogs down to just a group here or there passing through. This definitely positively effected their deer herd.

I also can agree with what you describe, it can and does happen where the deer may push out for a few days. But that’s their home and they will be back and much more comfortable if you have removed the hogs. In my experience hogs over a long period of time and certainly during deer season will effect the deer more than those few times I come in and clean up with my dogs. I only hunt in the winter and spring after deer season and some in August/September running hogs out of our good deer spots.

I’m a die hard deer hunter first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far the post this is just a strange situation. I’m freaking out if I lose one of my dogs and am coming your way as soon as I receive a phone call. No experience with goat dogs but it doesn’t seem the norm from the other posts I read.

Comment

I have had my dogs tree a coon or cat and have deer bedded within 50 yards. The deer didn't even get up until I shot the critter out. Deer know when a dog is chasing them and will run but are smart enough to know when they are not pursued.
                        How many of you have observed coyotes and deer eating corn within 10 steps of each other? We hunted senderos that were baited with tailgate feeders for many years in South Texas. Most everyday we would see a coyote or two picking up corn along with the whitetails.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                          As far the post this is just a strange situation. I’m freaking out if I lose one of my dogs and am coming your way as soon as I receive a phone call. No experience with goat dogs but it doesn’t seem the norm from the other posts I read.

I agree. I just thought it was a strange situation as well. Granted I'm not a "real rancher" and I have never had sheep/goat dogs, but I was just surprised that the dog owner wasn't more concerned about the location of his dogs and/or picking up his dogs.

Comment

still got the one big dog showing up on my camera back in Dec. I started a thread on here last summer about the same dog and what to do about it.
                            I found out where it stays/lives and have not confronted the owner about it but evidently this thing roams the countryside and is definitely not watching ANY goat, cow, or sheep herds. Is not like I have a lot of deer around there yet, but since this is new property and I really don't know, but they may show up or come back once I get that dog removed ??? I do know the hogs don't mind coming in there.

Comment

sss

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
                                It is common for sheep and goat guys to have dogs roaming with the herd. Not very good dogs however if they are not staying with the herd

This is my experience as well. I was on a lease a few years back that the owner had sheep. You definitely gave his dogs a wide berth when walking to the stand. They acted like they would plum eat you up if you got close. He had signs up at all the entrances and told us every time he saw us to stay away from the dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X