Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Hunting or Harvesting?

Over heard an interesting debate, the details are as follows:

Harvesting = High fence. You know your prey, you watch it grow like a crop, and you know when you will "harvest" it.

Hunting = Low fence. You do not know your prey, you may or may not end up with an animal.

What is the consensus, do you "hunt" or do you "harvest"? When and why did people start saying harvest?

Hunting=hunting

Comment

I hunt

Comment

No matter what you call, an animal dies. If not it is just watching.

Comment

Originally posted by CentexRancher View Post
          Over heard an interesting debate, the details are as follows:

Harvesting = High fence. You know your prey, you watch it grow like a crop, and you know when you will "harvest" it.

Hunting = Low fence. You do not know your prey, you may or may not end up with an animal.

What is the consensus, do you "hunt" or do you "harvest"? When and why did people start saying harvest?
          That's dumb. Cattle are raised, you watch them grow and you know when it will die. Nobody sends their cattle to market to be "harvested". Harvest, by literal definition according to Webster's Dictionary, mean the taking of crops. People using "harvest" when talking about killing an animal are worse than the ones that use "Smoked 'Em".

Comment

It’s killing or laying them down or smoked. No harvesting unless your running a combine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll hunt until John Deere starts building guns.

Comment

Sitting in a box for two hours at a time staring at a feeder and seeing probably 10 different deer and selecting the prefect one with the perfect shot could be considered harvesting.
                Working your arse off sneaking back to the furthermost reaches of public land and sitting 20 foot up in a tree for 12 straight hours and maybe seeing what you thought was a doe could be considered hunting.
                I've done both and love each one for what it is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

To me, high fence is ranching. Not hunting, not sporting IMO.
                  As far as harvesting, I prefer to use the term harvesting instead of killing.
                  Harvesting an animal at its peak of ripeness before it dies on its own.

Comment

Its all hunting. Been on high fenced places a lot more challenging than low fence. My house is low fenced and I hand feed tortillas to deer all the time. Once in a while when its cold I walk outside and shoot one with a pistol for jerky. I guess since it is low fenced it is a "real" hunt.

Comment

Hunting is everything leading up to harvesting/killing.

You can hunt without harvesting and you can harvest without hunting.

Does it matter through?

Comment

I think killing vs hunting is more appropriate in today's hunting environment. A lot of what is done is no more than rolling up and killing, not much, if any hunting involved. Im not hating on it but that is pretty accurate. People used to ask if I was going dove hunting, I would say, nope Im going dove shooting. I had a great place with great birds so there wasnt any hunting to it.

Comment

When I hunt, I try to kill.
                          When I harvest, I'm picking peas, pulling corn, etc.
                          Harvest has nothing to do with hunting.

Comment

Would not call it harvesting
                            Maybe if you were killing pen raised deer for meat it would be considered something similar

My only experience hunting inside a high fence was Big Oak when Buff owned it. Definitely not a slam dunk and it was around 300ac and had an abundance of game

There are definitely many levels of "hunting"

The individual who can go out on public land and kill an animal has to have more skill than what it takes to sit over a feeder in the Hill Country

Not saying anyone who hunts over a feeder is less skilled either

But both still considered hunting to me

Comment

I’ve never used the term harvesting in association with any type of hunting. I’ve always figured guys use that term to be more sophisticated than they really are, or to try not to offend any snowflakes.

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X