treestands for North Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

treestands for North Texas

Just wondering what you guys use treestand-wise on public land if any? I've been out to a few areas and was going to stick to ground hunting and making natural blinds, but ready to learn from you guys who know this terrain well and what you recommend?

Im not American let alone Texan but I sometimes say 'yall' if that counts??

From what I've read on here they all seem to share stands, and deer too, and they all seem to get along really well. Maybe one will chime in and let you in...

Comment

I dove into public hunting last fall. My opinion is get off the ground. It is definitely possible to kill one from the ground but you need a really good scenario to get it done.

Lone wolf or XOP stand. I don't know how many times this year I had just one tooth of the offset bracket stuck into the tree, can't do that with my Millenium stands. If you don't mind a small platform, get the LW assault or XOP vanish. They are lighter and easier to hang.

I like the Hawk Helium sticks. They are sturdy, have dual steps and don't weigh a ton.

Shed some weight from your pack. I walked close to 100 miles on public land this year, a lot of that with 40-50 lbs on my back. I'll have a much lighter load next year.

I never hunted from a single tree that a climber would have worked on.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
        I dove into public hunting last fall. My opinion is get off the ground. It is definitely possible to kill one from the ground but you need a really good scenario to get it done.

Lone wolf or XOP stand. I don't know how many times this year I had just one tooth of the offset bracket stuck into the tree, can't do that with my Millenium stands. If you don't mind a small platform, get the LW assault or XOP vanish. They are lighter and easier to hang.

I like the Hawk Helium sticks. They are sturdy, have dual steps and don't weigh a ton.

Shed some weight from your pack. I walked close to 100 miles on public land this year, a lot of that with 40-50 lbs on my back. I'll have a much lighter load next year.

I never hunted from a single tree that a climber would have worked on.
        thanks for the info, i was looking at a millenium one thats 8lbs or another millenium thats 11lbs. what public land do you prefer up here?Im planning to get out as many fridays as i can all year between lavon/lake texoma and the odd trip to caddo

Comment

I spent some time at LBJ Grasslands and saw a lot of ladder stands out there. I found a few trees I could get my climber in but not get real high, I think the key would be is hunt the week day and hunt out of somebody else's ladder stand and if they show up get down and move on, I live by the rule Public Land Public Stand.

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
            what public land do you prefer up here?
            That’s kinda like asking a fisherman where his favorite spot is...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
              That’s kinda like asking a fisherman where his favorite spot is...lol
              i meant entire areas not hunting spots: caddo...lbj...texoma....ray roberts etc is all

Comment

A lightweight climber is the best option where I hunt.

Comment

It is a whole other rabbit hole to go down but hunting from a mantis style tree saddle is hard to beat for versatility, lightweight, and comfort. I killed 4 deer from mine in 2018 and that was my first year using it.

Comment

The two options I go with are a climber or lock on stand. All I do is public hunt Louisiana. The climber is great for most situations. However, there are a lot of places that I hunt that I can't use a climber and only a lock on. I like these areas because a lot of hunters dont get in it as much. If your only going to have one stand than I suggest the Muddy Vantage Point with the Muddy Pro Climbing sticks or Summit Climbing sticks. A lot of times I'll hike in and scout for spot to hunt. Using the lock on your able to hunt essentially any tree you want. Its super light weight and roomy and easy to set up and take down. The climbing sticks are also easy to deal with as well and lock together for easy carrying in and out. If your interested in a climber, I'd suggest the summit viper. All around a good size, light weight, and super comfortable to sit/nap in. Get yourself a bow holder for either one and your good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by billythefish View Post
                      thanks for the info, i was looking at a millenium one thats 8lbs or another millenium thats 11lbs. what public land do you prefer up here?Im planning to get out as many fridays as i can all year between lavon/lake texoma and the odd trip to caddo
                      The millenium stands are super comfortable and the bracket system they use makes it easy to hang. Problem is that same bracket system doesn't allow you to hang them in crooked trees. Almost all the trees around here are crooked. The lone wolf and xop stands are the best compromise between weight and versatility, they are lacking in the comfort department.

Since you mentioned Ray Roberts, I'd stick to the ground. Pigs are pretty easy to kill from the ground if you keep the wind to your advantage. The exception there is shooting through the brush which there is certainly no shortage of around Ray Roberts. I'd love to help you out as far as areas to hunt, but when Ray Roberts is open for hunting I'm out on the lake fishing instead.

Comment

For being able to hunt vs hunt for a tree, lone wolf and xop win by a land slide. Comfort goes to millinium or a climber. Both great options as well if you know there’s a tree that fits its needs going in.

Go aluminum whatever you decide if it’s in your budget

Comment

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
                          I spent some time at LBJ Grasslands and saw a lot of ladder stands out there. I found a few trees I could get my climber in but not get real high, I think the key would be is hunt the week day and hunt out of somebody else's ladder stand and if they show up get down and move on, I live by the rule Public Land Public Stand.
                          trouble with that is you wind up looking down the wrong end of a gun barrel or arrow sometime.

Comment

Yeah if you get caught in somebody else's stand that's almost like getting caught with somebody else's wife, maybe worse

Comment

Go with a saddle and platform. There is a wide variety you can choose from on tethrd. Light weight and easy to pack. I have lower back problems and cannot sit nor stand very long. The saddle does not put much pressure on the lower back. But like others stated, whatever you choose make sure it is lightweight and easy to carry because depending on how far you are walking in, ounces will feel like pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X