Found Tri Tip at H-E-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
    Our HEB usually has them. I like to sous vide them they come out awesome. Great cut of meat.

What temp and how long? Sous vide is my go to for steaks. 129 usually but I’ve been liking 137 for ribeyes to render the fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know which I like better. Luckily I’ve got lots of leftovers of both to test out this week.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
        I don’t know which I like better. Luckily I’ve got lots of leftovers of both to test out this week.

Looks don’t beat taste, but that first one looked delicious.

Comment

I trimmed 1/2 the fat off that HH did and cooked it 15 minutes on fat side and 12 minutes on other. ~400 degrees close to coals. Came out great.

Look up how to cut them, the grain changes as it goes around the muscle.

Comment

Not a fan of smoked. Comes out too much like a smoked pot roast IMO.

Light rub with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little chilie powder rubbed on. Sear the outside with a super hot fire and then finish it with indirect heat from the fire for about 20 minutes. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes and BAM!!!

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
              I never trim them. Just put on the grill over some hot mesquite coals.

All the time I lived in CA, never saw them trimmed before cooking.
              Never saw meat trimmed like they do in Texas until I moved here. Fat is where the flavor is.

Comment

I’m gonna have to try this. Looks delicious

Comment

125 internal then let it rest Slice thin.

Always good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I make tri tip steak tacos with chipotle’s oranges and limes they are the absolute best

Comment

Hard to find here

Need to hit my butcher up and see if he can come up with one or two.

I think they grind them up around here.

Comment

I sear them hot, I have never seen them at my HEB, I get them at the local meat market. I may try the bigger HEB in my area and see. They are great with salt, pepper and a hot fire and I never have trimmed one.
                        Last edited by thegrouse; 04-11-2021, 09:50 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Found Tri Tip at H-E-B

Did one for the first time myself this weekend. Smoked to internal temp of 125 degrees. Phenomenal, better than a ribeye.

Last edited by The Crippler; 04-11-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

After reading this thread I looked to see if they had any at my local HEB and they did. I have never seen a tri-tip for sale locally. I picked up a Prime 1 tri-tip. Seasoned with salt, course black pepper and garlic powder. I put it on the smoker at 225. I was going to reverse sear but it cooked faster than I expected. At about 1 hour 35-40 min I checked the internal temp and it was already 130-135 so I just pulled it and let it rest and then sliced and served. It ended up med rare and was fantastic even without searing it.

I've never cooked a tri-tip but it was sure good. I'll probably pick up another tomorrow for another try later this week.

Comment

My favorite way so far is on a pellet grill. Season it with steak seasoning. Run the pellet grill on smoke for 1.5 hours then kick it up to 350 until done usually 45-60 min.

Serve with some some oven roasted red potatoes.

The HEB by me carries them in Waygu. They also sell dry aged steaks which I want to try soon.

Comment

Dang you felllas are making me hungry.

Comment

Working...
                                X