Turkey feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey feeder?

We spot occasional turkeys on my property. But I have a number of corn feeders out with not a single picture. Most with short feed pens but one with no pen. Would a feeder with a specific feed increase the chance of holding them around? Milo, bird seed, scratch? I have a good feeder that's just sitting unused. Feed time? Place it out in an opening?

We use scratch.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

If they don't come to corn they probably won't come to anything else. Scratch or milo would probably just feed all the other birds.

Comment

in for ideas also!!

I have seen and heard some also on my lease but never at feeder or on cameras. I would like some ideas to bag one this year also

Comment

We stopped seeing turkeys at my old place, then we put some Milo hay out for cows and those bales were covered up with turkeys.

Comment

had good success with mixing in milo. they like corn too, odd you don't have pictures

Comment

Include a short noon feeding. Are deer/hogs/coons eating most of the corn per game cam pics? Feed later in morning like an hr after sunrise, noon and 2 p. If birds are around they should be lining up at your feeders. Milo will hold them longer but if you aren't attracting them with corn then they aren't around

Comment

I’ve had turkeys in under sized feeder pens, so I don’t think that’s an issue. Our place has a lot of turkeys, but last season they only came out while I was hunting in October. More typically, I would have opportunities from 9:00-10:00. May consider your extra feeding time then. I think the flock would head you way if they knew breakfast was on the table. I would stick to corn. But be ready, they can wipe out your corn quickly and be off.

Comment

I suggest placing the feeders close to the edge of the pens.
                  Our turkeys don’t like to get in the paneled pens
                  As stated above, Also change feeding times to “avoid” deer in the spring.
                  We put in milo, but always had good luck feeding corn.

I also am hammering the coons and skunks to encourage nesting success

BP

Comment

I mix milo in with the corn at the end of deer season. Come April the turkey are hitting the feeders daily. We hunt Runnells County and never have good luck calling birds so we just set on the feeders.

Comment

Sometimes it's more about roosting sites and nesting cover.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Our turkeys love corn....we used to mix milo in to "keep turkeys around" even during the fall but I've watched them walk though and eat nothing but corn......not really touching the milo. I'm assuming that was because its so visible and its there. They dang sure didn't walk around corn to get to the milo.....it was actually quite the opposite.

I guess the milo benefit is that deer and pigs don't target it and it's there when they come through if the corn is gone.

Comment

Mix milo with corn all birds love it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                            I mix milo in with the corn at the end of deer season. Come April the turkey are hitting the feeders daily. We hunt Runnells County and never have good luck calling birds so we just set on the feeders.
                            Calling birds is like rattling for bucks
                            Sometimes the birds won’t respond , sometimes It’s too easy
                            I suggest timing of the nesting and weather have everything to do with the calling response.
                            If you hear birds gobbling later in the day, they can be called in.

Comment

Our turkeys don't like to get in pens and prefer milo to corn, so we mix milo with corn to keep them around.

Comment

Working...
                              X