No announcement yet.

Teach me about generators!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will also need to consider how you will power your stuff. Are you happy running extension cords through the house and plugging everything in? That is the setup I currently have and it is not ideal IMHO. If you do not want the extension cord then you will need to tie it in to your panel.

If you decide to tie it into your panel you either have to balance your panel so all of your 115V loads are on the same leg with an interlock switch (this is the cheapest), or add a transfer switch and wire that in. Or you can add a 230v generator and power up both legs of your panel.

An electric heat pump will use a ton of power if the strips are also running, like I am sure they were last week. My 3.5 ton ac condensing unit is rated at 5200W. I have not put an amp meter on it but I doubt it uses that much while it is running, but will use quite a bit when starting.

An inverter generator produces clean power, it has less distortion and is good for electronics. My Yamaha is an inverter style generator. Inverter 230V are expensive and I do not think they make them real big. The harbor freight 9000 Watt predator will run my place. Keep in mind your water heater probably draws 4500W so you definitely cant have it on at the same time as a HVAC system with a portable generator, unless nothing else is on.

Comment

Best option is to install a pellet stove, gas logs, or a room gas stove for heating. Removing heating (air and water) with electricity will save you in fuel and generator size. If you want all electric, everything is X3.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
        This is from my friend in the neighborhood:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This is exactly the setup I have and my house is around 4,000 sqft. It won't run my a/c's or pool but kept us warm for the 24 hour period we were out of power last week.

Comment

I chose to go with a 6,500 watt gen. Can basically run my whole house except for the Central A/C unit. For extended power outages like I just went through for Hurricane Laura(21 days) this worked out fine for the wife and I. I put a window unit in one of the smaller spare bedrooms and that is where we slept at night. I chose the 6,500 watt based on electrical needs and fuel consumption. For me, this was the best of both worlds. I could run everything I needed to run without cords all over the place and without drinking so much gasoline. Mainly only ran the gen at night, during the day we were too busy sweating outside covering roofs.

Comment

I just opened up my main and got out my amp meter. With every light in the house on my total draw is 5700 Watts with either the AC or the Hot water heater on. With both of them on it is 10100 Watts. This is an old 4 ton straight AC unit. My house has gas for cooking and heat so I believe I can get by with a generator rated to run 7,000 Watts. This is a 1375sq ft older house. In 100 degree temps the wattage needs will go up, but I think a 7k will work.
            Last edited by thegrouse; 02-24-2021, 11:50 AM. Reason: added a word

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              My house is all electric. Unfortunately

Someone in another post mentioned a standard generator not being able to run his treager. And that he needed an inverter one. Why?
              Powers out let's bbq...

Wait my power is out lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the transfer switch I currently have. Not a whole house, but powers the necessary circuits I designated. Runs off remote start generator.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                  Powers out let's bbq...

Wait my power is out lol.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
                  No no. Gas grill and a fire pit lol

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                    Get one these with an exterior plug to your panel and an interlock kit. You can install a 50amp two pole breaker for generator breaker. You can pick and choose what you want to run.

If you want an American made generator get a Westinghouse Duel Fuel 12,500/9500. Made in Columbus, Ohio. Engine is made there also.

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com...ator-dual-fuel

I have a Westinghouse coming on March 5th. I paid $1049.99 for it on Amazon. Free shipping. Dang thing weighs 220 lbs. Almost 300 lbs. with pallet and shipping carton. I am glad I have a set of pallet forks for my Kubota.

Several things about the Westinghouse that I like. 12500 start up amps. Remote key fob start, 50 amp plug, 3 year warranty.

I am going to put a Hyper Engineering Sure Start Soft Start module on my 2.5 ton AC unit. This is probably overkill but I want to make sure I can run my AC.

I would also recommend the Soft Start kit for you AC compressor.

Get an electrician to install the exterior plug and do the work in your panel. You should be able to buy the generator, plug, interlock kit, cable, and electricians labor and materials for $1500 to $1800 depending on what the electrician charges you.

Westinghouse generator $1050 shipped
                    Interlock kit $75.00 to $100
                    Cable $100.00
                    Exterior plug $100
                    Electrician Labor $300 ??
                    Misc wire and breaker $50.00
                    Soft Start Kit (optional) $260.00
                    Thanks for the info. That unit is out of stock. I’m buying the 7500DF

Comment

Working...
                    X