No announcement yet.

Individual Responsibility in disasters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something tells me that 2021 isnt done yet.

Since we have been dealing with this extreme freeze, there have been multiple earthquakes that registered over 7.0 in the Pacific and two volcanic eruptions (latest today in Guatemala). I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t see a natural disaster on the West Coast this year if this increased seismic/volcanic activity means pressure is building up around the ring of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
      So you won’t ever call 911? Same concept. The understanding/agreement that a service that is paid for is to be provided during an emergency, wether it be too cold (this storm), too hot (heat waves) someone robbing you or your house on fire. I don’t really see a difference but I’m open-minded to trying to understand it the way you do!
      I understand where your coming from but if you use this same logic then we shouldn’t carry/keep firearm protection because the police are suppose to protect us. We shouldn’t keep a fire extinguisher because the fire dept will protect us. Keep medical supplies because the EMS will protect us. You should always have a backup plan of some sort because most of the time when you need it the most the services you count on aren’t there in your immediate time of need.
      Everyone can plan ahead in some sort of fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        It’s my responsibility to help provide for the weak and elderly. Yours too. As well as the responsibility of any able-bodied man to help those that truly need it. Love thy neighbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Yes^^

Comment

Originally posted by SL1 View Post
          Having spent 30 years in commercial development I will say the government and every utility company I have ever dealt with has been reactive instead of proactive. I always try to be prepared for me and family. Right now they are more focused on who to blame then fixing anything.
          Another post I 100% agree with.

Comment

I agree with you 100%. We are also stocked up. We didn't get the duel fuel generator that we left in Rockport but we got by with no elec, heat, or water for a few days. Heck, it was like deer camp to us.
            BTW, Glen, is 'Temporary transient' a politically correct way of saying homeless?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              I agree with you 100%. We are also stocked up. We didn't get the duel fuel generator that we left in Rockport but we got by with no elec, heat, or water for a few days. Heck, it was like deer camp to us.
              BTW, Glen, is 'Temporary transient' a politically correct way of saying homeless?
              Last I heard it was Urban Outdoorsman

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                Last I heard it was Urban Outdoorsman
                That's too funny. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                  Honest question... the power companies sell power. Why would they stop making power when they can sell every KWH they can make? Maybe demand outstripped supply?

I just find it hard to believe the power companies would be willingly turning down revenue.....but I don’t own a power company and I didn’t stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Quite the contrary.
                  Believe me, power companies wanted to be on-line. Prices reached $10,000 a megawatt. That’s money to be made right there.
                  I can’t answer for most or all plants, just the 2 units I work at. This is what I found out. Our units went down because of fuel issues. To start with, a train dumped a whole load somewhere between the mine and plant. So they started pushing off the pile. Most was wet, then froze, cause big chunks to fall, plugging the chutes, then what did fall thru, busted feeder belts. Then I heard the mine lost power and they started hauling fuel in haul trucks and scrapers. The mine runs the fuel thru a crusher first, but with no power, we got big ole chunks of coal that helped the plugging even more. Once the units came down, and with sub zero temps, everything went downhill from there as far as freezing lines and such. Once they got the fuel issue somewhat settled, it takes NG to get started back up. Well now, pressure is down on top of frozen lines, so it was a slow process of getting them back up.
                  We now have a tube leak on one unit. But they aren’t going to bring that unit down till everything stabilizes across the state and megawatt prices return to normal.

Comment

Yep we are homeless. We dont even know where we are going after March. Going to watch baseball, travel, then come back to Tx coast and count pelicans i guess

Comment

Sounds like a fantastic plan Glen‼️

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Yep we are homeless. We dont even know where we are going after March. Going to watch baseball, travel, then come back to Tx coast and count pelicans i guess
                        Yep, color me jealous. My turn soon.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          Lol! I tried to count pelicans today, apparently they went further south, haven't seen any all week.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                            I agree 100% but I also agree that if there was negligence then those should be held responsible as well. After all they don't do it out of the goodness of their heart. Still amazes me how many become so dependent and paralysed.
                            You have negligence in government ever single day and no one is held responsible period. They just keep voting these people in office every 4-6 years. Why should anyone be complaining about a weather event that out of any power companies control. They keep blaming them for not being prepared, but the ones bitching where not prepared themselves.

Comment

I pay my taxes and bills so I expect the roadways to be cleared and my water and electricity to work...luckily I've had no problems so far

Comment

Yes sir 100%. I've been throw this **** before that's why I prepare. Generator, water, food ,gas. Even 3 months of ready to eat meals. I do what I can for my neighbors and that's a lot but God Family and Country first!

Comment

Working...
                                X