GCing your own home ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GCing your own home ??

For those of you that have GC’d your home build, how did your go about finding subs? Drive around and hit up crews working on current builds??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In..... about to do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      For those of you that have GC’d your home build, how did your go about finding subs? Drive around and hit up crews working on current builds??

I GC'd the repair of my home after Harvey. I just used my network of connections for the most part. My Dad had just built his house so that helped a ton. Most times when you get a couple of good trades they will refer you to the next person that they like to work with. This helps things go smoothly, and improves the quality of work. For instance, the cabinet/trim guy isn't going to refer you to a crappy painter. Main thing with doing this is having someone that can double check quality and you'll need some patience.

Comment

Unless you're familiar with the industry and/or have a lot of knowledgeable help, you may not save yourself any money, and cost yourself a lot of time. Subs WILL charge individuals a higher rate than a builder and some will skimp on you anywhere they think they can get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
          Unless you're familiar with the industry and/or have a lot of knowledgeable help, you may not save yourself any money, and cost yourself a lot of time. Subs WILL charge individuals a higher rate than a builder and some will skimp on you anywhere they think they can get away with it.
          Yep. Quality subs are at a premium and a lot in my area only work with select builders. Less headaches. If they go outside that they charge more for the unknown and therefore the owner/gc saves nothing

What I see more often than not is it cost about the same and takes 6x longer. Unless the gc is skilled in a lot of the trades and works for free (not that that’s not sometimes best)

Comment

We're in the middle of a build right now (we're using a builder though). With all the supply chain issues and lack of workers, I would hate to do it on my own. I thought about it and now I'm really glad I didn't go that route.

As stated above, if you can find a sub or two, they can usually recommend the other subs. Find a good plumber in your area and ask him who does the best foundation work. He'll steer you away from the guys that screw up his initial rough in. Lumber companies can usually recommend framers.

Here's a few tips from what I've seen our builder deal with:
            -Order your windows before you set forms.
            -If you have a place to store things, then order stuff way earlier than you need it. (we ordered our appliances before we even had sheetrock, some stuff is taking months to get)

If I think of more I'll post again. It's been a wild ride the last couple of months.

My brother did his own a few years ago and it wasn't too bad. But he's in the fire dept. and has the days off to do it. He also didn't have to deal with the current supply and labor issues. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Yep. Quality subs are at a premium and a lot in my area only work with select builders. Less headaches. If they go outside that they charge more for the unknown and therefore the owner/gc saves nothing

What I see more often than not is it cost about the same and takes 6x longer. Unless the gc is skilled in a lot of the trades and works for free (not that that’s not sometimes best)
              This is true. If you were a sub, would you prioritize the one off home owner or the guy that builds 10-20 a year?
              Last edited by ElPescador24; 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Its hard right now for the most seasoned builder. I can't imagine trying to do mine at this time.

Comment

I used friends in the industry and known subs that had done work for friends of ours.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                    I used friends in the industry and known subs that had done work for friends of ours.
                    I’m right here too. We built in 2013. I had a main framing crew that was a real good friend. He knew everyone I need but we did most of the work together. Did need and start to finish subs other than sheetrock.

I here that they charge more and you won’t be able to get anyone to work but that has never been the case in my area but I’m in small town.

We were done in 6 months and never had a day other than Sunday when someone wasn’t here working

Comment

I’ve been in the residential home building business for 20 years. The job use to be fun now it sucks. I send 10-15 e-mails per day per house just to get simple things finished and it takes about two weeks to get it done. If it wasn’t for the crazy pay and bonus I would find something else.

Comment

I do limited new construction stuff but buy lots of properties to rehab and resell. I’ve usually got projects going and I pay my bills and it’s hard to find dependable subs right now. Most anyone that’s good and wants to work is working as much or more as they want right now and usually for a long term employer.

You can find people, but they may not be the best. Good painters and finish people are hard to come by.

If you take what you get when you can find you’ll end up disappointed. Delays are always someone else’s fault.

I’d try and find all the good subs you were going to use before you started. And be prepared to wait. And I’d never let them get ahead of you on money (prepaying), they’ll be hard to get them to show up until they really need money again.

Comment

I am a GC and have been a CPA, licensed insurance adjuster, sports agent. In all of those they’re have been those who thought they could “ do it themselves”. It never turns out well. All jobs look easy from the outside looking in. However there may be exceptions, so good luck with your taxes this year.

Comment

I'll say this as an example I've seen with my own eyes. Neighbor across the road from me is GCing his own. I wouldnt say it has been a nightmare but he has had issues all along the way. He is at a year build time and just spray foamed this week. I tried to offer help early on but he was dead set on GCing it himself. You really need to be on the job everyday and have all material you are providing on the job asap. Being in construction I GCd our in 6.5 months. But I come from commercial World which moves at light speed compared to residential. I was on site daily and had ALL material including appliances, fixtures etc in shop and labeled. Sub never showed up and said he didn't have anything to do.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                              I’m right here too. We built in 2013. I had a main framing crew that was a real good friend. He knew everyone I need but we did most of the work together. Did need and start to finish subs other than sheetrock.

I here that they charge more and you won’t be able to get anyone to work but that has never been the case in my area but I’m in small town.

We were done in 6 months and never had a day other than Sunday when someone wasn’t here working
                              Pretty much the same for us.
                              Metal guy lives down the street that pu up the building
                              His son has a concrete crew did slab, porches, and carport.
                              Used a recommended cabinet guy
                              Friends that are contractors did -
                              Metal framing, sheetrock, plumbing, electrical, painting, a/c, doors, carpet, tile, etc. I chased materials and stayed ahead of what was needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X