X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valley vidal

anyone here crossed it? about to do 14 days there

You going to overland it or hike it ?
    I’ve seen some nice overland videos on YouTube. Definitely going to do it myself one day

Comment

drop the Y.....Valle
      been there a bunch

what would you like to know?

Comment

our plans are to ride the length and back on mules,had planned a lil bit on eating alot of fish caught

Comment

Beautiful country. In 1994 we took our Boy Scout troop to Philmont and hiked 64 miles in that general area, but we did not actually fished the Valle Vidal. I have fly fished the area.

You will enjoy it!

Comment

Sounds like you got your medical issues resolved! That’s gonna be a really cool trip. Take lots of pics!

Comment

Planning to make this trip soon? Be mindful portions are closed for wintering and then elk calving. Also, portions of waters were poisoned last summer in an effort to remove non-native fish and reintroduce cutthroat trout.

Comment

Sorry, no help but it sounds like a dream trip.

Please post lots of pics.

Comment

Who is the outfitter supplying the mules, and (I assume) the gear?

Comment

Beautiful country. One of the best trips I've ever taken.

Comment

have the mules and gear medical issues pretty much resolved havent had a stroke in a few years its just time to di it i have a fried since we were 16 ishhe actually has most of the gear and mules

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                        our plans are to ride the length and back on mules,had planned a lil bit on eating alot of fish caught
                        Probably a wonderful trip. Enjoy

Comment

we did the same thing years ago. Trailered our horses to the VV from TX.
                          We did a pack in trip that was basically a big loop. Drove in to the west entrance from Costilla. left the trailer at the TH and just rode south thru the VV, camping in a canvas TP and dutch oven cooking every night and then return up north loop to north boundary.
                          Great country for horseback....lots of bears in there (prepare the horses).

The VV is closed access until sometime in July for elk calving. As mentioned above they do have special restrictions on fishing. Check out the latest regs before you go.

And yes, next to Yellowstone I have never seen so many elk as in the VV

Comment

I forgot fishing..........most of the streams are too small or intermittent for any size fish except for the RioCostillo and the Shuree Ponds. barbless hooks only too.

Comment

I was lucky enough to hunt & fish a private ranch that went from stonewall Co to chama co
                              Across the state line from there ? wonderful ranch and crazy amount of elk , bighorn, mule deer, the small streams have very small green back trout we were lucky enough to catch and release, that mountain range is amazing

Comment

Working...
                              X