No announcement yet.

Mineral blocks for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the trace mineral blocks Lyssy & Eckel sells. They are cheaper than Trophy Rocks, but very heavy. For me, they last about a year, depending on rainfall. I put them in the crotch of cedars where only deer can reach them where there are hogs. However, cattle seem to like them a lot, so if you have cattle, it will attract them. I like Trophy Rocks also, but if you hunt public, they can "walk away".

Comment

Big and J.

But I may try a trophy rock after this

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Got trophy rock in my pen now

Comment

Thank you for all the replies.

I'm providing supplemental water and it is high in sodium chloride straight out of the well. I'll hit TS tomorrow and get a mineral block or two. Since they are mostly salt it'll be interesting to see how much the deer use them considering they are getting some each time they take a drink.

Comment

They hammer the trophy rock at my place. The hotter it is, the more they hammer it.

I use them to keep inventory of the bucks. They will seek it out multiple times a day when it really starts getting hot.

I’ve tried livestock blocks (mineral, salt, etc.) and they just don’t take to it like the trophy rock.

Comment

My deer up here in MD won't touch the red trace mineral blocks and don't care much for the white ones either but will go after Trophy Rock and any other minerals made with salt from Redmond mines. Bought the Tractor Supply brand of granulated mineral salt made with Redmond mines salt and it worked good too poured on a an old hardwood stump. Don't know why but they prefer it, have used the white granulated trace salt from TSC poured on a stump or ground with good use in spring and summer. I'm sure it depends on what natural minerals are present in your soils. Near me are tidal saltwater creeks and marshes where deer could care less for any salt based deer attractant products. TSC does sell a small Redmond mines salt block with a rope thru it so can hang it. It's smaller than Trophy Rock and more expensive BUT it's in the horse section LOL

Comment

Mule deer, whitetails and elk all use the trace mineral blocks for us. We've also had them use the 30-06 loose mineral too.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  The red trace mineral blocks at TSC or your local feed store.
                  How long did it take for your deer to start using it? I've had some out for a week and the deer just walk around it and don't touch it.

Comment

Anyone use a medicated block ?
                    Like a ivermectin block for worms and parasites

Comment

Anybody mix your own?

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                        Anybody mix your own?

https://youtu.be/3haVQUDvMxs
                        I did this one year and it was a MAJOR pain in the year and got minimal usage.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                          How long did it take for your deer to start using it? I've had some out for a week and the deer just walk around it and don't touch it.
                          They don’t use the Trophy Rocks we put out this time of year on our place.

They really won’t start touching it until warm up/green up.

Don’t even waste my time with them until then.
                          Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

Hogs love them!
                            Especially the BBsquare.

Comment

Put salt blocks out for years and never had much luck with them until someone
                              Told me to bury them with about an inch sticking out of the ground.. Made all the difference.

Comment

I haven’t had very much luck in east Texas, and have tried a few different ones. I’m gonna try the trophy rock soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X