Firewood - What do people use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewood - What do people use?

For those who BBQ do you use actual split post oak? Like 12-14" logs split down to 3-4" diameter pieces?

And for cooking steaks same size but mesquite?

For heating homes do you use other wood like elm? I've been sawing big elm (I think they're elm) trees that died years ago so they were seasoned standing. Just wondering if anyone else uses elm also.

Been putting my splitter to work May try to sell a few truckloads of firewood for whatever people want it for. Right now we just sell to campers in the park. I just bundle any wood for campfires (except cedar).

Oak

Comment

I burn elm, post oak, live oak, pin oak in my Fire place.
      And sometimes hackberry if one falls down.
      Elm burns good if cured out.

Comment

Post oak is great for BBQ

Comment

Oak for BBQ

Oak for fireplace but I will use mesquite but not much since it burns so hot.

Comment

Post oak is great for bbq or firewood
            I keep a combo of mesquite and oak (red and white) on hand at the farm for firewood and bbq wood. I’ll add whatever pecan I can when we have a limb get blown off or a tree blown down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Post oak or live oak. Friends that enter BBQ cookoff's also remove the bark for their cooking wood. They also split it down to smaller pieces. I would guess 4 inch diameter.
              Last edited by doghouse; 01-15-2022, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Post oak

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of those campers the same idiots that pay $15 for 3 tiny pieces of wood at the grocery store? You’re probably making a killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Red oak in fireplace, smoker, and smoke house. Only because it’s so readily available.

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
                      Any of those campers the same idiots that pay $15 for 3 tiny pieces of wood at the grocery store? You’re probably making a killing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      We sell for $7 a bundle. I probably make about 75 cents per hour But since I'm chopping down dead trees anyway I just do it. And spring break I can actually make like $350 over those 9 days.
                      Not looking to make money, just looking to reduce costs a little.

But if anyone wants firewood I can start cutting/splitting it. Oak is limited, harder to cut..but we have lots of seasoned elm.

Comment

I deliver firewood as a side gig, mostly for my boys to earn a little money.
                        Post Oak for bbq
                        Live Oak for firewood.
                        I work with a tree trimmer for supply, we don’t mess with Mesquite or Pecan.

Comment

BBQ I got couple stacks of
                          1. Post oak
                          2 pecan

Oak & mesquite for grilling steaks and chops, chicken

Home fireplace gets , live oak , elm , hackberry, some cedar

Comment

I cut down mesquite, split it and let it for about two years before i run it in the wood burning stove in the house. I found a big pecan that is down and will get to it after my knee surgery. Elm is the #1 wood in my stove owners manual for wood not to burn. Oak, then mesquite are the woods listed as the best to burn. I have one big oak that died this year on the fence line that will get taken down but I'm good for woods so it will go to the neighbors.

Comment

What kind if elm?

We have cedar elm here and when we built our house I saved the trunks of the trees we took down and split it and use dit for firewood. It pops like crazy, better have a grate that covers the entire opening of your fireplace. We had one ember pop out and went about 10’-12’ across the living room and burned a nice size hole in the rug.

Now I burn pecan in the fireplace and my smoker because that’s the predominant wood in our area.

For grilling, I use the HEB lump mesquite charcoal.
                              Last edited by JES; 01-16-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X