Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does dealing with car dealerships have to be such a pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't dealt with their shenanigans in years. Internet sales department is where it's at. You can build out the truck you want online and send them the stock number. Or find one on a lot and copy down the VIN. Email every sales department with the area you're willing to travel. Tell this this is the exact truck you want with these exact features. They will email you a price. Find the lowest price, email all the dealers again with "Joe Bob oftered to sell me this truck for $***x. If you'd like to try and earn my business, then beat that price."

First truck I bought this way from Toyota of Boerne. I found the truck I wanted at Toyota of Corpus. Toyota of Corpus wasn't really willing to negotiate so I took the VIN and email other Toyota dealerships. Toyota of Boerne came back and said "We can get you a truck in the same color, same options." Price was over $5,000 less than what Toyota of Corpus wanted. I told Boerne I wanted the truck and could pick it up the following week. They said since it wasn't on their lot they wanted a small deposit, $200. Ok no problem. The following week I picked up the truck, signed the papers in less than 30 minutes. EXACT same VIN. I asked the internet sales guy and he told me they had traded Toyota of Corpus for it. Toyota of Fort Worth internet sales has done me right on my last 3 internet vehicle purchases from them.

Just don't use your primary email address. I always made one like MyNewTundra2018@yahoo because you're going to get flooded with sales, service deals etc from all the dealerships you contact.
    Last edited by philcam; 05-23-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue1 View Post
      couple months ago, I found the jeep my wife wanted at meador in ft worth. did the entire deal by txt message and 1 email. even sent pics of my trade in. we met half way in Waco at a McDonalds, signed papers and swapped vehicles over breakfast. easiest $40,000+ transaction I've ever had. now to be fair getting a hold of the salesman afterwards has been non existent. (supposed to get a finder's fee for passing his name to someone)
      When I bought my current truck, I knew exactly what color, packages, etc. I wanted. I checked with all the Ram dealers I could and I wanted to buy from Meador because they are literally walking distance from my office.
      Even after specifying what I wanted, they would send me photos and info. on completely different trucks (i.e., I specifically said "I don't want white" - but they sent me multiple photos of white trucks they had).
      I found the truck that met my list of wants at a dealer in Bonham (on line - I never went there). The dealership seemed kind of sketchy, but the deal was good. When I told the folks at Meador to stop sending me info. on trucks I didn't want, they eventually sent me a picture of the right truck I wanted - it was THE photo from the Bonham dealer (the exact truck, same photo taken with snow on the ground and on the Bonham dealer's website).
      But Meador wouldn't sell it to me for the price the Bonham dealer would!!! Again, I was willing to pay a couple hundred more to deal with my neighbor - but they were at least $1k more!
      The Bonham dealer delivered to truck to me (far South Fort Worth). I never had to set foot in their store.
      (That dealer in Bonham still seems a little sketchy to me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        When he walked they told him they would not allow him to waste 2 hours of their time and were going to "black mark" his credit so that no one would finance him.
        Ummmm...no sir, that wouldn't have gone over well with me

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
          Heard a statistic on the Jerry Reynolds show that Sewell in Dallas area sells 33% of their autos over the internet/phone then delivers the car. Buyer never sets foot on the property.
          Bingo......and the number is rising nationallly! IF you are financing let your credit union (some banks) find the car...…..negotiate YOUR deal...…...and organize to have it delivered. We buy cash and have not dealt with a salesman or sales manager in eons. Just have it ready to deliver or when we show up to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
            Bingo......and the number is rising nationallly! IF you are financing let your credit union (some banks) find the car...…..negotiate YOUR deal...…...and organize to have it delivered. We buy cash and have not dealt with a salesman or sales manager in eons. Just have it ready to deliver or when we show up to pick it up.
            Never done it before, but I've heard several co-workers mention buying a car through Costco and having a turn-key experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
              Heard a statistic on the Jerry Reynolds show that Sewell in Dallas area sells 33% of their autos over the internet/phone then delivers the car. Buyer never sets foot on the property.
              My parents (Austin) buy a new Lexus from Sewell (Dallas) every three years or so and it is delivered. I recall they bought one in person while in Dallas one year, but almost all have been on the phone/internet. It has been my experience that the sleaze ball factor is greatly diminished when dealing with luxury manufacturers. Less BS buying a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus etc. than a truck. Even though a truck may be more expensive than many of the entry level luxury offerings, seemingly the luxury dealers are easier to deal with/more sophisticated sales staff.
              Last edited by RR 314; 05-23-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

My Dad took his van to the Ford dealership in Mt. Pleasant for a/c not working - 7 hours later they had the nerve to hand him a bill for over $100 for diagnosis! Wanted $1,300 to repair. He noticed they left the caps off - replaced and charged system with freon and it's been blowing cold for 2 years now!
                Had GMC dealership change a crankshaft sensor - got a letter from my insurance stating my vin # showed a recall for crankshaft sensor - went back to dealer and guess what they showed my truck wasn't on recall so kiss that $1k goodbye. They did show my dash cluster as on the recall but said I had 2k too many miles!!!!

Comment

To answer your question from the thread subject line. Because most people put up with it and won't walk out and go buy it somewhere else.

Also, it doesn't have to be their way. I have bought the last several cars via online and phone discussions. And I lay out my requirements up front. All papers printed and ready to sign when I arrive. I am usually driving out in well under 1 hour.

Vehicle is ready and inspected before I start signing.

Comment

Look up volume dealerships like Charles maund here in Austin
                    They pretty much survive off high sales with lower consumer cost- yeah they don't do alot of negotiations on price but post cost upfront no bs
                    That where I got my truck and felt like I got best price around

Comment

Looked at new trucks a few months ago and was so pee'd off with the process I basically quit looking. Fast forward a few months and called a smaller delearship friends have had good luck buying from in our area. They had one truck that would work and made a reasonable offer based on what I have experienced in the past and what others have paid recently. Was told no way they would come off internet pricing. A week goes by trying to negotiate and the salesman says "maybe you should buy a lesser truck". One of the best lines a salesman has ever told me.

I'm lucky he did because I found three with a better package in Dallas at Friendly Chevy for the discounted amount 5k under what the original salesman quoted. I was really tempted to send a pic of the vehicle to the guy asking how he liked my "lesser truck". I would never say it was a great deal though as they are all way over priced. Bottom line is they prey on those who won't take the time or effort but I'd buy again from Friendly if they had what I was looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                        Never done it before, but I've heard several co-workers mention buying a car through Costco and having a turn-key experience.
                        I forgot about Costco. I heard that service was legit also.

Comment

Because 99% of them are liars and cheats and would steal from their own mother.

Comment

I deal with classic chevy in grapevine. Very easy to deal with by far the lowest prices in texas

Comment

Red McCombs did the same thing to me. Talked me back into their dealership and said they would try and earn my business back since they screwed me out of a rebate last time.

I had my doubts when I got there and sure enough they didn't disappoint. Nothing that the salesman said over the phone or via text was true. I told them they had wasted enough of my time, grabbed my keys and walked out the front door. I left the salesman and the sales manager standing at the front door watching me as I drove off.

I'll never set foot on their property again. They've called back twice since then and the last time they called I chewed that guy's arse out big time. I don't think they'll call back anymore.

Comment

I live in Austin and using Car Gurus.com, found a barely used Honda Accord (4500 miles) with a manual transmission in San Antonio at Gunn on 1604. Manual transmission Accords are rare. I called them and they confirmed that they had the car.

I told them I wanted it and to hold it until Friday after work so I could get a ride to SA to bu the car. They said OK.

Friday after work I went and bought the car. It was everything they said it was. Great dealing with those guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X