No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has sat idle for too long. Any updates, deer harvested or new videos?

Comment

Originally posted by Tester View Post
      This thread has sat idle for too long. Any updates, deer harvested or new videos?

Glad I’m not the only nuisance that asks! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

By far my favorite thread on TBH.

Comment

OK, here is an update. We have taken 8 bucks and 13 does so far. I plan to remove about 20 does and will continue shooting any mature bucks we find that are the lower end of the scale.

As of now on the farm, we have found 8 bucks from 170-180, 1 buck I believe 185, 1 buck I believe mid 190' and 2 over 200...pleased to report I shot one of the 200's but believe the other one out there is bigger. He gets a pass till next year as I think him 6.

I have been going out everyday trying to get video for the next exciting episode of Farm and Ranch Life. Got a few but so far have not seen the 215, 195 , or several of the 170's. Tough hunting.

Food plots have been a mixed bag. The first plots I planted with clover and small grains were drilled early in the drought and high temps. A lot of the small grains failed but the clover is doing fine. The later fields planted are doing very we. Lesson learned....the clovers were dropped on top of the ground and didn't sprout till rain. The small grains germinated but didn't have enough moisture to survive. Crops planted a month later into moisture have caught up and passed those planted earlier.

Thanks for the interest. Here are a couple photos but I am still having a hard time getting pics to post
          Attached Files

Comment

Love it!!!

Comment

Those are some great Ochos rusty! Those hunters defiantly have some happy faces!

How are your food plots coming along at the Mexico ranch? Have you found them to be more like “kill plots” as opposed to your plethora of plots in Louisiana, seeing as the deer likely view them more like ice cream there?

Comment

[QUOTE=texas shag;14504988]Those are some great Ochos rusty! Those hunters defiantly have some happy faces!

How are your food plots coming along at the Mexico ranch? Have you found them to be more like “kill plots” as opposed to your plethora of plots in Louisiana, seeing as the deer likely view them more like ice cream there?[/QUOTE

I've experimented with different things in Mexico but for the most part the oat patches have been for hunting....if they grew at all. One plant I have had success with is hubam clover. Grows fairly well and if you get spring moisture it will reseed and keep growing as long as it keeps raining.Not the deers favorite but it works.

This year I'm trying something new. I have enough water to irrigate so I have planted a 40 acre field with oats, hubam, alfalfa and arrow leaf clover. The arrow leaf is a long shot. Never heard of it being grown down there but my seed source says it should work. That along with the alfalfa ' might' give the field real spring value beyond just hunting.

We will see???

Comment

Appreciate the update and good luck in Mexico. The deer here in East Texas are wearing out the green stuff. This is the first year I've planted collard greens where the deer could get to them and so far, they seem to prefer the collards over the purple top turnips.

Comment

Here are some of the bucks we have found so far. The rut is over and we have entered the 'lull ' faze with the deer staying in the woods feeding on the abundant acorn crop. Bought time to head to the ranch anyway. Enjoyhttps://youtu.be/K8e240oolKg

Comment

Awesome video! Amazing deer and what an awesome ranch you have created. Thanks for the update!

Comment

Awesome video Rusty!

I listened to them all again a few days ago when I had to make a drive to a job site. Enjoyed them all!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          OK, here is an update. We have taken 8 bucks and 13 does so far. I plan to remove about 20 does and will continue shooting any mature bucks we find that are the lower end of the scale.

As of now on the farm, we have found 8 bucks from 170-180, 1 buck I believe 185, 1 buck I believe mid 190' and 2 over 200...pleased to report I shot one of the 200's but believe the other one out there is bigger. He gets a pass till next year as I think him 6.

I have been going out everyday trying to get video for the next exciting episode of Farm and Ranch Life. Got a few but so far have not seen the 215, 195 , or several of the 170's. Tough hunting.

Food plots have been a mixed bag. The first plots I planted with clover and small grains were drilled early in the drought and high temps. A lot of the small grains failed but the clover is doing fine. The later fields planted are doing very we. Lesson learned....the clovers were dropped on top of the ground and didn't sprout till rain. The small grains germinated but didn't have enough moisture to survive. Crops planted a month later into moisture have caught up and passed those planted earlier.

Thanks for the interest. Here are a couple photos but I am still having a hard time getting pics to post
                          Nice looking bucks.

The question came up on another thread a few days ago about planting cool season this late. My thoughts are you could plant until March in most parts of texas and surrounding areas. It's really all about heat, or the lack thereof, imo, basically November through March. I know conventional wisdom is septemberish but that seems 50/50 or worse these days. Theres always some moisture in the winter and snow isn't a factor down here (though I'd love to frost plant like they can do up north). Didnt see you post in that thread. Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
                            Nice looking bucks.

The question came up on another thread a few days ago about planting cool season this late. My thoughts are you could plant until March in most parts of texas and surrounding areas. It's really all about heat, or the lack thereof, imo, basically November through March. I know conventional wisdom is septemberish but that seems 50/50 or worse these days. Theres always some moisture in the winter and snow isn't a factor down here (though I'd love to frost plant like they can do up north). Didnt see you post in that thread. Your thoughts?
                            Walking out the door for holiday travel so here is a brief response. Can dig deeper later.

One thing I experienced this fall planting was the small grains I planted mid Sept during drought and heat did very poorly with some complete failure. Clovers did ok. The plots I planted mid October when we got a decent rain did great and have even surpassed the earlier planted crops. Seems even with no till into thatch moisture and heat have to be closely monitored.

Best of holidays to all. We have much to be Thankful for!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Walking out the door for holiday travel so here is a brief response. Can dig deeper later.

One thing I experienced this fall planting was the small grains I planted mid Sept during drought and heat did very poorly with some complete failure. Clovers did ok. The plots I planted mid October when we got a decent rain did great and have even surpassed the earlier planted crops. Seems even with no till into thatch moisture and heat have to be closely monitored.

Best of holidays to all. We have much to be Thankful for!
                              Thanks for all the info elgato, happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Was a good day on the ranch.

Video to follow as time permits
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X