Stopping Thumb Sucking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping Thumb Sucking

Daughter just turned 3. Has been a regular thumb sucker since about 6 months old. Not sure the best way to get her to stop. Tried positive reinforcement which has helped but dang sure not stopping it. Any tips are appreciated.

Our 2.5 yr old is a thumb sucker. His pediatrician recommended some drops you can buy to put on their thumb to make it taste bad. He told us as long as they were done by 4 it wouldnt affect speech or anything.

Comment

Tabasco

Comment

Didn't have the problem with the younger son but my daughter did it for a little while. Wife transitioned them to a "soft" that they slept with. That became a problem with my daughter at around 2.5-3. We finally got tired of it and told her to put it in her time capsule. She did and it stopped. She still ask about the soft every now and then and will put her blanket in her mouth but it has not been a big problem since she time capsuled it.

When she was sucking her thumb, I tried everything... the soft broke her of her thumb

Comment

Franks Red Hot, you can put that **** on anything.

Comment

I have bitten my nails since I was a toddler. 28 now. As i got older, I became self conscious of my ugly nails. Tried everything from popping myself with a rubberband to clear polish with capsaicin (spicy.) the latter worked well but was water soluble so instead of reapplying ten times daily, I went back to nail chewing.

Recently, I found a bottle on Amazon called Mavala. $13. Same concept as other paint on stuff but doesn't come off with water. Lasts a couple days and has a diff active ingredient so it is bitter rather than spicy. I think it would be suitable for a child. Application is easy too. Takes 60 secs to dry. Probably reapply every other day. I'd bet the problem is solved in a couple weeks.

Of course, taste it yourself first. Tastes like a really really dirty penny.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
              I have bitten my nails since I was a toddler. 28 now. As i got older, I became self conscious of my ugly nails. Tried everything from popping myself with a rubberband to clear polish with capsaicin (spicy.) the latter worked well but was water soluble so instead of reapplying ten times daily, I went back to nail chewing.

Recently, I found a bottle on Amazon called Mavala. $13. Same concept as other paint on stuff but doesn't come off with water. Lasts a couple days and has a diff active ingredient so it is bitter rather than spicy. I think it would be suitable for a child. Application is easy too. Takes 60 secs to dry. Probably reapply every other day. I'd bet the problem is solved in a couple weeks.

Of course, taste it yourself first. Tastes like a really really dirty penny.
              Could of just become a plumber. That will fix nail biting quickly.

Comment

Put them behind the bow and let them send it, works with my 30 yo Trophy8!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                  Could of just become a plumber. That will fix nail biting quickly.
                  If butt scratching doesnt stop my nail biting, nothing will

Comment

My buddies little boy still uses a pacifier, he’s 2.5 years old. His speech is not where it needs to be as per the pediatrician. They say it’s due to the pacifier, if they take it away he flips out. Also one of the barbers where I get a haircut his daughter sucked her thumb from a baby till the last time I last saw her at 18+ years old. It was odd, her thumb never grew to normal size it stayed small. They said one time she had to go to the hospital because it turned green and was rotting from always being wet.

Comment

Get some chickens... Rub chicken sh.... Ahh nevermind

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Go see an orthodontist. There is a device they can put in the roof of her mouth that will basically block her thumb from being able to be in her mouth comfortably. We did that for our daughter and she never sucked her thumb again.

Comment

On daughter number 1. She has never wanted a pacifier nor does she really suck her thumbs. Sticks her fingers in her mouth. But not really sucking.

Comment

They know English. Just tell them not to?

Comment

Lot of millennial teens out there still sucking their thumbs ....don't let her get to that point!

Comment

Working...
                              X