Reasons a Deer will Blow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reasons a Deer will Blow

So I was hunting this week and had a deer start blowing about 70 yards upwind of me. I hadn't walked in that area, wind was soft but in my face and I was running an ozonics. I'm hunting heavily pressured public land. Anyway this deer blew about 10 times before I realized what the problem was. Out came a bobcat trotting away from the deer. Next came a 8pt buck following the cat about 30 yards behind him blowing every 20 seconds. In total the buck probably around 20 times. After he felt the cat was gone he went to casually feeding. First time I'd seen that one.

Seems like every time I try to use a doe urine or estrus scent I hear a deer blowing before I see a deer. I have about given up on them.

J

Comment

I'd like to hear other reasons ya'll may have experienced w a deer blowing.

Comment

Unless they are blowing downwind from me, I don't give them much thought.

Comment

Usually the does blow. When have you ever seen a woman need a reason to make a bunch of noise/cause a rukus.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            Seems like every time I try to use a doe urine or estrus scent I hear a deer blowing before I see a deer. I have about given up on them.

J
            Yeah when I give up on all the scent control and strictly hunt the wind and terrain/cover I feel like I do better. Same experience most of the time with scents. I have had success with a particular deer farm. Even then the bucks come in cautiously

Comment

I have witnessed 8 deer follow a bobcat across my food plot. All blowing and literally trying to stomp him. It always cracks me up to hear folks say they heard an old doe blowing behind them. I always ask how they know it was a doe. It seems there is a misconception amongst hunters that bucks don't blow. Lol

On one of my current stands I have a single doe that always cones in and eats alone. If there are other deer already there when she gets there she will blow at them. Not once but for and hour if that's how long they stay. Well she did that every hunt until I got tired of it last week.

Comment

I had the exact same thing happen a couple of weeks ago. Deer to the South of me a good ways started blowing. I had a yearling doe in front of me and she blew and took off. A second later a bobcat came walking down the trail from the South.

Comment

Because you make eye contact or look at them the wrong way. There's one I have that will blow to scare the deer off the corn, then she strolls out to eat by herself.

Comment

I was told a long time ago a mature buck won't blow much if at all. That theory got blown out after I was busted by the largest buck I've shot to date. He busted me bow hunting. Ran into some thick stuff and blew about 8 times. A week later I was better positioned and lucky.

Comment

It's their warning sign to other deer. Just like when a squirrel see's you and starts all that noise. Whatever they perceive as a threat. Have doe blow at my doe decoy quite often but never bucks. Another chic is a prob for a doe I guess?!

Comment

I had a good buck blow last week when he crossed the trail I had walked on. It ain't just doe that blow!

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                          I had a good buck blow last week when he crossed the trail I had walked on. It ain't just doe that blow!
                          Yep. Half this forum don't believe that though. I started a thread about that a couple years ago.

Comment

while I dont disagree with the fact that a buck will blow as i've witnessed it myself I do believe (based on my experiences) that does blow more often than bucks on average, the majority of the time when I have witnessed a buck get tense/uneasy he generally just tries to slip out quietly....I cant say the same for the does though.

Comment

This season alone I have had 4 different bucks blow in my general area. All were up wind from me so it I can't tell you why they were. I have only had 1 doe blow at me this season and she as down wind behind me.

Comment

Working...
                              X