Facebook marketplace to collect sales tax info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Facebook marketplace to collect sales tax info

I listed a Garmin Force trolling motor on FB marketplace a couple of weeks ago. When I clicked to start a new listing, it stated that January 1st they will start collecting your information for the collection of sales tax to comply with new laws. I did not give them my SS number or anything, but it looks like a new Federal law has been enacted to collect tax on all private sales. Anyone else heard about this?

Yes’r! EBay did this not too long ago! You have 2 choices, quit selling or pay taxes!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
      I listed a Garmin Force trolling motor on FB marketplace a couple of weeks ago. When I clicked to start a new listing, it stated that January 1st they will start collecting your information for the collection of sales tax to comply with new laws. I did not give them my SS number or anything, but it looks like a new Federal law has been enacted to collect tax on all private sales. Anyone else heard about this?

State laws regarding marketplace facilitators and sales tax, not a new federal law. eBay, Gunbroker, Amazon and other major players have already rolled it out - each with some differences on how it’s collected and remitted. I wouldn’t be surprised if TBH and Craigslist fell under the facilitator umbrella, not sure if or when the government will ever get to the point they’re enforcing it but you know they always have their hand out looking to be fed.

Comment

The buyer is responsible for the tax, right? What am I missing here?

Comment

Originally posted by PittBoss View Post
          The buyer is responsible for the tax, right? What am I missing here?

Typically in a private party sale, yes. The marketplace facilitator laws are now requiring the marketplace to collect and remit sales tax.

Comment

Yup they want to know where every dime you have is going!

Comment

I sold it yesterday and marked it as sold. When I did, FB asked if it was sold on FB or elsewhere and who bought it. I answered those questions, should I just close the ad in the future, as if I decided not to sell the item?

Comment

I sold it yesterday and marked it as sold. When I did, FB asked if it was sold on FB or elsewhere and who bought it. I answered those questions, should I just close the ad in the future, as if I decided not to sell the item?
                I would.
                Unless they are processing payment how would they know?

Comment

I always answer, sold it elsewhere.

Comment

These are are the same people that want to tax garage sales. Pathetic

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

F ‘em.

Comment

I would assume they are only going to collect when you process payment thru their platform. Let’s say someone bought the trolling motor in Alabama and you used Facebook to process payment and ship, they would step in. I can’t imagine posting an item and selling it FTF that they would require sales tax to be collected. There would be no paper trail to follow.

Comment

Is this on used items and new?

Comment

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
                            Is this on used items and new?
                            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              Yes
                              How does the paper trail work? I have very little experience with marketplace, I just bought a small trailer that had no title, the transaction was made person to person.......How would they know?

Comment

Working...
                              X