Mower advice NEEDED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mower advice NEEDED!

I’ve only lived in residential subdivisions where pushmowers are needed. Just bought 8 acres with approximately 3-4 mowable grass (rest is wooded). Need some advice on mowers! Anything is appreciated!

I just inherited a 60" Kabota with 3 hours on it and it seems to be a bad motor scooter. I have no idea what they cost but it's nice.

Comment

First consideration is terrain - is it bumpy and uneven? Are you just trying to keep it short and manageable like a pasture or more like a lawn with turf grass?
      Last edited by jerp; 12-22-2021, 02:55 PM.

Comment

If you have a 4 wheeler or sidexside I would go with a pull behind mower either rough cut or finish whatever you think you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following as well. My wife and I are looking for some property and I’ve only had push mowers, except many years ago when I had a Troy Built Pony. Don’t ever pay money for a Troy Built Pony!!!!

Comment

8 acres to maintain? #1 Buy a compact tractor.

If it's 3 acres of flat yard that you plan to fertilize and keep prestine buy a zero turn. If it has a lot of slope stay away from the zero turns.

Finally, If it's field grass full of rocks, sticks, and BS use the brush hog on the compact tractor.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a hustler raptor sd, I don't recommend it, have had nothing but problems

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                If you have a 4 wheeler or sidexside I would go with a pull behind mower either rough cut or finish whatever you think you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                There was a heck of a deal on a finish cut on here not too long ago.

Comment

Put some goats on it.

Comment

What’s your budget?

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                      I have a hustler raptor sd, I don't recommend it, have had nothing but problems
                      mine has been fantastic ,, and my yard is very rough... zero issues with the mower... bought mine after watching my son in law use his for several years

Comment

When we bought our current forever home, it came with a 54" Husqvarna Zero Turn with a Kawasaki motor. My place is hilly and rocky, but the Zero Turn will handle slight slopes in the front part of our property, but the back part is really hilly and the only way the Zero Turn will handle the slopes is to go straight up or down.

I also have a 4 wheeler and bought a Swisher Rough Cut Trail mower for mowing around my pond, steep slopes and the very front part off our road we live on as it has the steepest slopes.

I also have a Kubota tractor with a Rhino shredder which will handle the entire property except for around my pond. I mow the front of the property with the Zero Turn, probably 2-3 acres and the back part with the tractor. Total of 6.46 acres but have the house, detached garage and 1200 sq ft shop/lodge. Takes about 6 hours to fullow mow everything.

I will tell you this, even being an older shredder and just a shredder, you cannot tell where I stop with the Zero Turn and takeover with the shredder. We have a combo of weeds and grass all mixed!

Comment

All zero turns are not equal. A good commercial will last, and cut faster than a residential unit. The spindles, hydraulic pumps, deck, and seats are where the money is when upgrading. I really like my Scag TigerCat II but they are about 9500.00. That sounds like a lot, and it is, but many of the low end ZTM are $4-5K.

Comment

Compact tractor with a loader bucket and a finish mower.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                              What’s your budget?
                              Around $5k

Comment

Working...
                              X