Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea Party Anyone?

Boston Tea Party
    On December 16, 1773, “radicals” from Boston, members of a secret organization of American Patriots called the Sons of Liberty, boarded three East India Company ships and threw 342 chests of tea into Boston Harbor.

This iconic event, in protest of oppressive British taxation and tyrannical rule, became known as the Boston Tea Party.

Resistance to the Crown had been mounting over enforcement of the 1764 Sugar Act, 1765 Stamp Act, and 1767 Townshend Act, which led to the Boston Massacre and gave rise to the slogan, “No taxation without representation.”

The 1773 Tea Act and resulting Tea Party protest galvanized the Colonial movement opposing British parliamentary acts, which violated the natural, charter, and constitutional rights of the colonists.

Three years later, this rebellion had grown to such extent that our Founders were willing to give up their fortunes and lives, attaching their signatures to a document that declared, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”

All good stuff and pertinent to today's "climate", but there was NO Constitution to base constitutional rights from in those days...
    Having said that it is a good reason that suggests our Constitution is a "natural" document that is only put down in words what has always existed among men (or should have).

Comment

Comment

Strange how that area went from initiating our independence to being a bunch of government-dependent Kool-Aid drinkers.

Comment

Bump. Never forget this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
            Strange how that area went from initiating our independence to being a bunch of government-dependent Kool-Aid drinkers.

I’ve had the same thought many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that is when America(not yet named) turned to Coffee instead of Tea the British controlled. All that started over a 3% Tax on Tea...Look where we are now.

Comment

I'm thankful for those who had enough and were willing to sacrifice for the greater good. I wish more Americans understood history.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                  I think that is when America(not yet named) turned to Coffee instead of Tea the British controlled. All that started over a 3% Tax on Tea...Look where we are now.
                  People move the line in the sand back a little each day, every day.

Got us here where now most of people's wealth will be taken through inflation.

Hard to imagine they just printed (printed, spend, "invested") 30+ trillion dollars. And seems like most people act like it was a few million.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    I'm thankful for those who had enough and were willing to sacrifice for the greater good. I wish more Americans understood history.
                    Me too and every chance I get I talk to young people about it.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      All good stuff and pertinent to today's "climate", but there was NO Constitution to base constitutional rights from in those days...
                      Having said that it is a good reason that suggests our Constitution is a "natural" document that is only put down in words what has always existed among men (or should have).
                      I have an idea. We really don't have a reason to throw a bunch of tea into the harbor. How about we each go up and there and grab a politician and throw him or her into the harbor! That makes a pretty good statement to me!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                        I have an idea. We really don't have a reason to throw a bunch of tea into the harbor. How about we each go up and there and grab a politician and throw him or her into the harbor! That makes a pretty good statement to me!
                        I'm in! Especially after a snowstorm!

Comment

The art of warfare has changed so much. Wonder if they’d have done the same given missiles that could be launched into their house from half a world away? Or the drone that could drop them without them ever even knowing. I too am ready for change in a somewhat radical way. But it won’t be hand to hand in my opinion. And it won’t be won without the military.

Comment

Working...
                          X