Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    I am inmpressed he was able to maneuver the cart with the big cow on it through that tall grass. I did it with a tripod on wheels & it was a chore.
    congrats on the Nilgai.
    Thanks! My body sure is feeling it today!

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
      Oh yes, I’m hunting all day every day! I didn’t get drawn for any of the bow hunts. Maybe next year. So now I’m really begging…. or researching, …. I have never been there, can only hunt units 2,3,5,8. No bike, 63 years earth experience, good legs on flat ground, ….. suggestions on where to concentrate my time? Appreciate any help.
      Sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
        Thanks man!

I think I know what ended up happening with the bull. I thought I had gotten a pass thru but I’m hitting high and right on my 20 yard pin (don’t know what happened to it). I ended finding my arrow and it ended up having about 6 inches broken off so I think the arrow just stuck on his scapula and didn’t penetrate at all. So he’s likely walking around with a broad head until his demise.

I had a heck of year out there like no other for me. Was able to get a shot on a bull, a cow, and a buck. Hopefully I do, but don’t think I’ll ever have another year like that.
        That same situation happened with another hunter you met down there. He got his bow out after the hunt, shot a target and mentioned he was hitting very low. Turns out it was issues that happened during the hunt.

This stuff happens, especially on a rugged style hunt such as this.

I think a good take away for any reader (myself included as I've been there before) is to not get laxidaisical.

Not speaking at either of your situations, just mine which I think can be related:

It also happened to me this season, a very action packed season and alot of hunting with not enough attention to the pay off moment....getting THE shot.

What I mean is taking shots before/after a hunt. I used to practice this "practice" religiously. I had to shoot.
        Sometimes(mostly) before the hunt, during the hunt at something(clod of dirt, cow****, leaf, etc) or after the hunt. This used to give me confidence and check my shot was still on point.

Its a tough thing to do down there. There's so much you have to do before and after a hunt. So many things to tend to and prepare for. I recall stepping out right before we loaded trucks to take shots, or taking a moment after unloading trucks to take shots. We all traveled a long ways to get down there.

Hope that helps someone on their future hunts, and hopefully help increase recovery rates. It's a hard pill to swallow loosing and animal you've worked so hard to get. I think slowing down, taking a moment to shoot and enjoy it with fellow hunters is a good thing to do, solid practice. I know I need it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
          That same situation happened with another hunter you met down there. He got his bow out after the hunt, shot a target and mentioned he was hitting very low. Turns out it was issues that happened during the hunt.

I think a good take away for any reader (myself included as I've been there before) is to not get laxidaisical.

Not speaking at either of your situations, just mine which I think can be related:

It also happened to me this season, a very action packed season and alot of hunting with not enough attention to the pay off moment....getting THE shot.

What I mean is taking shots before/after a hunt. I used to practice this "practice" religiously. I had to shoot.
          Sometimes(mostly) before the hunt, during the hunt at something(clod of dirt, cow****, leaf, etc) or after the hunt. This used to give me confidence and check my shot was still on point.

Its a tough thing to do down there. There's so much you have to do before and after a hunt. So many things to tend to and prepare for. I recall stepping out right before we loaded trucks to take shots, or taking a moment after unloading trucks to take shots. We all traveled a long ways to get down there.

Hope that helps someone on their future hunts, and hopefully help increase recovery rates. It's a hard pill to swallow loosing and animal you've worked so hard to get. I think slowing down, taking a moment to shoot and enjoy it with fellow hunters is a good thing to do, solid practice. I know I need it!

Very true and excellent post. One thing I know I will do in the future is make sure and take a couple of shots at the end of each day to make sure the daily activities didn’t knock something off.

Comment

Very true and excellent post. One thing I know I will do in the future is make sure and take a couple of shots at the end of each day to make sure the daily activities didn’t knock something off.
            Okay, I am too from now on. Hearing those stories gives me a sense of those feelings again, that happen in those hard earned moments under stress, exhaustion, mentally drained, questioning everything, bewilderment, and just dang down about it all. I never want to experience that again, doubt anyone does again. I don't know how I got away from that "practice" but I know I'm going to get back on that for me and whoever I hunt with....I'm about to be the guy that always says, "Let's shoot really quick, make sure we're good to go." Takes just a minute.

Post some pics in the recipes forum of all that delicious nilgai you cook up! Tag me in it too![emoji108]

Comment

Thanks for the info and help in the pm’s. Very much appreciated fella’s.

Comment

All good solocam! Yesterday was a busy day and didn’t have enough service out there to post anything.

Shot the cow yesterday morning at 9:00 am. She came in with 2 other cows and made her way in to 20 yards from me (I was sitting on the actual ground with my back against a tree and covered with grass). Of course when she came in, I had gotten really comfortable as I was almost laying on the ground so I had slowly work my way to my knees to get into shooting position. She disappeared behind a large clump of trees in front me and I thought she left so I waited for the other ones to work their way on as I watched them graze on their way in. I reached down to grab my rangefinder and as I did that, I could see the top of her head staring right at me through a bush 20 yards away. I froze. I knew she was on to me so we sat there for about 5 minutes in a stare down. I could she she was starting to spook and she make a quick turn to my right and I could see her shoulder through about a 4 inch opening and she stopped to give me another look. Luckily, I was able to draw back and aim and matter of seconds and sent one into her shoulder.

I waited for 30 minutes before I took up the trail. No blood at site if impact and not a drop around her tracks where she had run. . After losing the bull Friday night, I was almost ready to call it quits and go home, but I decided to give it a go and follow. Luckily we had that rain and I could easily tell which tracks were hers and slowly followed them through the brush. About 100 yards into the track, I found the first sign of blood on a mesquite branch and I knew it was on! She ran into some nasty stuff and I was in my hands and knees following her through it. The blood trail itself was terrible, but I would occasionally find a pinpoint drop to at least confirm I was still on her tracks. I followed the trail for about another 250 yards or so and then lost all tracks and blood. No matter hard I looked, it was all gone and I though for sure it was over. I stopped to take a break and I look to my left and I see horns sticking out of the brush. Had a really nice 8 pointer bedded down and he was trying to avoid me seeing him. He stood up and I ended up taking a frontal shot at him (I know if I would’ve waited a couple more seconds he likely would’ve turned broadside, but mistakes are always on hindsight) and missed. I knew I had missed but figured I would walk the direction he ran just in case and in about 50 yards more, he led me directly to where my cow was laying!! I couldn’t believe it. I made a high shot on her. Penetrated the scapula, went into the chest cavity and did not exit. But luckily made a big enough hole that the chest cavity filled with air and that’s what did the job. She fell in a place where I could wheel my game cart into slowly and we got her out that way. I had a heck of a time this year and look forward to next year! Congrats to everyone who was successful this year!

Congrats! Like others have said, that’s a BIG cow. I’m glad you were able to recover her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post

That’s excellent advise about shooting before/after hunts. You work incredibly hard on these hunts to be successful. You don’t want a bumped piece of equipment to cause you to miss completely or make a bad shot on an animal. The animals deserve more and you do too for putting in the time and effort.

How many outfitters make customers shoot before they hit the field? A lot and there’s multiple reasons for it. Throw a bag target in the truck and fling one before and after each hunt. (Hopefully it’s only one because everything is still dialed in) May save some heartbreak in the future.

Comment

Haven’t heard anything from the rifle hunters this weekend? Too windy down there?

Comment

I know at least onr TBH'r down there.

Comment

Had a great time this weekend. Saw some cows scouting Thursday while setting up tripod. Friday was pretty hot but got a glimpse of a bull. Saturday was blowing like 30mins for most of the day but decided to go for a hike and ended up way over on the west side of unit 3 and shot a calf. Luckily I was able to quarter and pack back to the bike. Today was perfect nice and cool saw quite a few deer then shot a nice cow at 8:30 this morning. Spent most of the day getting that one out cut up and in the cooler and then had to go retrieve tripod. Overall another great LANWR experience.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Congrats on the cow!! She pretty.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our first trip and hunt to LANWR turned out to be no hunt. Was supposed to be three of us. First my brother ended up unable to go. Me and my buddy went down on Wednesday. Scouted a little on Thursday, and he started to feel bad. He had a really bad night Thursday night. Friday morning decided it best to get him home. Nine hour drive to home, stopped only one time. Today he says he is doing better. Been putting in for years, planning and excited for 4 months, but better safe than sorry. Gotta take care of each other. We really appreciate the information from this thread and PM's offering advice, experiences, and such. May be able to draw one more time in the next few years before getting unable to do these things anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                                Had a great time this weekend. Saw some cows scouting Thursday while setting up tripod. Friday was pretty hot but got a glimpse of a bull. Saturday was blowing like 30mins for most of the day but decided to go for a hike and ended up way over on the west side of unit 3 and shot a calf. Luckily I was able to quarter and pack back to the bike. Today was perfect nice and cool saw quite a few deer then shot a nice cow at 8:30 this morning. Spent most of the day getting that one out cut up and in the cooler and then had to go retrieve tripod. Overall another great LANWR experience.

Nice work doubling up!

Comment

Working...
                                X